Creating feedback when using IRs (Crust/Hardcore/Screamo)

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
I will probably work with a great band in a few weeks for guitar recordings. They play a good mix of some crust, hardcore and screamo. That's the first for me as I usually work for heavy/death/thrash bands. As you could imagine, I will record both amp signal and DIs.

There are lots of noises and feedback in their music and I really don't know how to properly do that. I use real amps with Torpedo or Recabinet and cannot play very loud at my place. How could I do to create these feedbacks as if the guitarist was in front of the cab?

Hold the guitars up against the monitors, just like you'd do with a cab. You still need a bit of volume to get feedback happening, but I've done this in the past and it has worked.

I have never used the Boss FB2 feedback booster but on paper it is supposed to help create feedback. It might be worth researching that. 30 seconds in to this video it shows you hold down the pedal to activate feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your help man. Holding the guitar against the monitor is not possible. The FB2 looks pretty interesting but it affects the amp signal only, not the DI. So if we need to reamp the tracks, feedbacks wouldn't be there...

Thanks for your help man. Holding the guitar against the monitor is not possible. The FB2 looks pretty interesting but it affects the amp signal only, not the DI. So if we need to reamp the tracks, feedbacks wouldn't be there...

I can't watch the video so I may be dead wrong, but if you put the pedal before the DI, would it not affect the DI as well as the amp?

Rig a 1W blackstar-amp or something next to the guitarist and have the gain super cranked, when feedback needed simply raise the volume enough for the amp to feedback and then you're set.

If that isn't possible either then do it without feedback or record the guitars at another studio

Record DI'S somewhere you can crank an amp. Even with sim's, you have to crank them to get feedback. That's how the signal is "fed back". Which is why you call it feedback. Get loud.

Yeah, if you crank the drive and do enough weird things to it you can get feedback. I usually just play around with harmonics on frets that aren't good for natural harmonics like the 6th, 3rd, etc. and strum really hard to get a weird vibe out of it.

Rig a 1W blackstar-amp or something next to the guitarist and have the gain super cranked, when feedback needed simply raise the volume enough for the amp to feedback and then you're set.

If that isn't possible either then do it without feedback or record the guitars at another studio

A one watt amp cranked is still fucking loud!

Get loud.

This is great advice. We have been so caught up in amp sims and stuff lately and while I can't do without the convenience nowadays, I slapped a mic in the middle of the room and fucked with a flying v i got for $50 with the amp cranked to record some feedback tracks the other day and I HAD SO MUCH FUN. I totally forgot how great it feels to just crank shit up. A loud amp is a glorious thing.

Honestly, if you're doing crusty shit you should go out of oyur way to use real amps, sims may well sound overly clinical and clean.

Try holding really headphones around the 12th fret.

If its just a demo or something, I've been doing a trick where I natural harmonic on the 5th fret of the 3rd string, and fade it in. Sounds close to feedback in my opinion, and is good enough as a placeholder for a real recording with a real amp.

This is great advice. We have been so caught up in amp sims and stuff lately and while I can't do without the convenience nowadays, I slapped a mic in the middle of the room and fucked with a flying v i got for $50 with the amp cranked to record some feedback tracks the other day and I HAD SO MUCH FUN. I totally forgot how great it feels to just crank shit up. A loud amp is a glorious thing.

Thank you. I really want to make it a point about tracking guitars with an amp in the room. Di's and sims are great, but there's something about having an amp in the room with the guitarist that makes them play like it's loud as hell. Which is what you should be trying to capture IMO.

Great tips here, thanks you gentlemen!

Yeah, playing the shit really at really loud volume in the room is the way to go but I work at home, so I definitely cannot do that at my place (except if I kill all my fucking neighboors... Err... Well, no.) The solution would be to record the DIs where I can crank the amp, then reamp. The DIs would contain all the feedback and noisy stuff, right?

Honestly, if you're doing crusty shit you should go out of oyur way to use real amps, sims may well sound overly clinical and clean.

Try holding really headphones around the 12th fret.

I agree and I'd love to do that way if I could. It's the ideal situation actually.

Yup, the DI's would contain the fed-back signal produced when you're recording with a real amp.

If the feedback isn't as pronounced as you'd like when re-amping, you can add some compression (and maybe some harmonic excitement or verb) to the DI when it starts to feed back. I've had good luck doing that.