Creating Music

as for music, my habits tend to be the same.

but for lyrics, i keep a little notebook in my back pocket everywhere i go. sometimes you see a sign somewhere that invokes some emotion in you that result in a few lines...or what someone said to you that day.

i have filled two A4 notebooks so far with this stuff. when i sit down to write lyrics for a song my bandmate or i composed, those bits and pieces of belle lettres come in very handy =)

blimey said:
I'm quite positive that you guys make music in your spare time, as most of you are musicians in some way. Well for me I play the guitar. I was wondering what kind of mood you guys get into before creating music? Is there even a mood you have? Or are you just going on with your life when a cool guitar riff pops into your head? The latter applies for me.

On the same note, doesn't making your own music make you appreciate such musical geniuses as Mikael Akerfeldt and Opeth more?

Its difficult to say what inspires except for the obvious. I mean sometimes
I hear something or see something that really gets me inspired and excited.
But mostly I just play the guitar and if I come up with something cool I develop
it. Of course, if I have an good idea I sometimes write lyrics first and create
music to my words.

I can get into the mood in an instant or some days I never get there. It's all
got to do with inspiration and the "flow" of it.

Yes, I think I can appreciate musicians & music more than the average guy.
I mean we got a deeper understanding and some people (that's me) can even
enjoy the smallest details in music.

Ganza said:
I play the guitar, write lyrics and also sing.

For me inspiration comes anytime, anywhere, and can be evoked by anything.

Usually I write about things that have happened to me or to people I know, but sometimes a melody, an image, or something else will just make me think of something that then translates itself to a song.

Some times though, it's like blimey said. I just sit there eating a fucking sandwitch or walking down the street when a melody pops into my head.
same here... although (as far as i know) i cant sing or write lyrics for shit.. i can be literally taking a shit and something pops into my head.. but i never have enough time to remember it and write it down or sthing after wiping and flushing and whatnot... haha.. seriously... oh and Blimey... CALL DOUG... he gets more creative stuff put into your head ant its a lot of scale learning, chords and whatnot.. word:heh:

Don Corleone said:
as for music, my habits tend to be the same.

but for lyrics, i keep a little notebook in my back pocket everywhere i go. sometimes you see a sign somewhere that invokes some emotion in you that result in a few lines...or what someone said to you that day.

i have filled two A4 notebooks so far with this stuff. when i sit down to write lyrics for a song my bandmate or i composed, those bits and pieces of belle lettres come in very handy =)

did you guys record any songs lately? i was waiting, you know...

N-MAYH said:
same here... although (as far as i know) i cant sing or write lyrics for shit.. i can be literally taking a shit and something pops into my head.. but i never have enough time to remember it and write it down or sthing after wiping and flushing and whatnot... haha.. seriously... oh and Blimey... CALL DOUG... he gets more creative stuff put into your head ant its a lot of scale learning, chords and whatnot.. word:heh:
lol i really should call him

I've been composing music since I was about 8... I usually just think up whole songs in my head, put them in a notation program, play them back, then change things around. (thats for more... orchestral based things).

For guitar based songs I usually just think up riffs, play them and if they're good enough I'll remember them.