Opeth's Legacy

Hi and welcome :)

Your english is actually quite good, you shouldn't apologize for that... tbh it's better than with most people to whom it's their primary language, at least from what I've seen/heard.

I must say you're missing very much if you have that kind of prejudice towards metal, there are many great bands you should hear that don't fit your description at all... I'd be happy to share some of them with you, via PMs, MSN or whatever... if you're interested.

Hi and thanks.
Actually, I like Metal since Pantera, Machine Head and bands like that fall in that category.
The thing that really bothers me in Death Metal is the singing, most of the singers' grunts I've heard sound like crap ; also, I really get bored when I'm listening to non-stop drum blasting + heavy riffing, so I confess I've never listened to a Death Metal album from the beginning to the end.
To give an example, Meshuggah's songs really give me headaches.
Opeth' songs sound different since heavier parts are never "senseless", it kinda sets the mood for an acoustic part right after it, and the grunts are really powerful compared to other bands.
The drumming is also different, way less blasting and way more complex at the time (though I'm talking about Lopez, don't know about Axenrot but I have faith. :cool: )
And, well, I can't find in other bands that kind of dark-nostalgic mood I like in Opeth (thanks to the background heavy or acoustic guitars, don't know if I'm making myself clear there but listen to Bleak and you'll get my point).

I tried listening to Bloodbath but the statement is the same for me, I get tired after hearing two songs or three in a row, but I like to listen to it from times to times though.

Now, maybe I haven't listened to the appropriate DM bands, but if you can give me some names of bands that aren't all about blasting and more about setting a mood, I'll give it a try. :)
Thanks.

I feel pretty much the same way about Death Metal as you. There's no groove in it. It's just annoying brutal noice from start to finnish and the vocals are often shitty as well. In fact I wouldn't even categorise Opeth as a Death Metal band, because to me the only similarities are that there are growls in both. The music itself is nothing alike. Opeth has atmosphere and melody, and are never meaninglessly brutal.
Opeth never opened my eyes to Death Metal... If anything they got me into Porcupine Tree.

The only real Death Metal album I found that I can enjoy is Nihility by Decapitated, mostly because it's so technically impressive. And the guitar sound is so killer.
Nile and Bloodbath are some of the bands in the genre that I actually like a little too, but also there the lack of nuanced soundscape and groove just makes it annoying after a few songs.

No thanks. Give me Testament or Nevermore. :)

I feel pretty much the same way about Death Metal as you. There's no groove in it. It's just annoying brutal noice from start to finnish and the vocals are often shitty as well. In fact I wouldn't even categorise Opeth as a Death Metal band, because to me the only similarities are that there are growls in both. The music itself is nothing alike. Opeth has atmosphere and melody, and are never meaninglessly brutal.
Opeth never opened my eyes to Death Metal... If anything they got me into Porcupine Tree.

The only real Death Metal album I found that I can enjoy is Nihility by Decapitated, mostly because it's so technically impressive. And the guitar sound is so killer.
Nile and Bloodbath are some of the bands in the genre that I actually like a little too, but also there the lack of nuanced soundscape and groove just makes it annoying after a few songs.

Seriously, wtf? Listen to Nile - Lashed to the Slave Stick or Sarcophagus and tell me again that there is no groove... or Bloodbaths Eaten.

Ok you're right. Just listened to some of The Annihilation of The Wicked album by Nile. It's actually pretty good stuff. Definetely good quallity music, but my head just seems to go numb after a few songs. Maybe it's just too constantly powerful and brutal. I think what I miss is a little more variation in the intensety of the music. And of course there's a huge lack of melody, but I guess that's what you can expect from Death Metal.

And groove wise it never reaches good old Testament. Try and listen to the song Seven Days Of May and see what I mean. ;)

Nile is indeed quality music! the numb part is because you aren't used to death metal methinks (the same goes for hearing the melodies) :) Nile is very dynamic for being a death metal band listen to the song Sarcophagus, they have a video on youtube.

I'm listening to the song as we speak, sounds like Metallica I think, not a fan of thrash(vocals) in general either. Nice rythms, a bit monotone though.

Right, you managed to put words on what I think, don't know if we're a lot to think like that though.

I gave an ear to Nile and the vocals sound like a joke, but I'm stunned by the voice of Testament's singer, sooo similar to Hetfield's !

I'm listening to the song as we speak, sounds like Metallica I think, not a fan of thrash(vocals) in general either. Nice rythms, a bit monotone though.

Well to me Chuck Billy is the best metal vocalist ever to walk the earth. He can be both soft melodic, power melodic, and growls pretty evil too. And his voice is just so characteristic. He's the man. But of course that's just my opinion.

Right, you managed to put words on what I think, don't know if we're a lot to think like that though.

I not sure about that either. Not on this forum. :)

There was a time when Death Metal gave me headaches ... and the constant growling sounded ridiculous ... Don't know why and exactly when, but I love it now! It takes a long time of adjusting, that's for sure, but this only reflects the quality (anything you seem to like instantly, is mostly crap on the long run).
Of course there are tons of straightforward, boring DM bands ... but that is in every genre. I wouldn't call myself an expert at all in DM, so can't give you any good new names, but can we use it as an argument that the guys from Opeth love Morbid Angel, Atheist, Entombed, and all those old school Death Metal bands? There must be something good in it then that you don't hear (which is your right of course). Also Nile is by far one of the best Death Metal bands out there, especially because they have added so much atmosphere to the music.

Now, if you don't like it, that is your right and no one is forcing you to listen to it. But don't come here saying that it is boring and ridiculous, 'cause you're not really showing much respect for the bands (who put a lot of effort into it) and for your fellow forum people on here that do like it. Perhaps you might even start liking it in the future (like I did) and feel stupid of making these statements ... but for now, it's just a matter of taste. I know several bands that I just don't like listening to, although I do have respect for what they do and for people listening to it, because I know there is more to it than I seem to grasp when listening to it.

I don't care if Opeth is around or not 25 years from now.

I'll still feel the same way that I feel today; they are the greatest fucking band ever. Period.

The songs that I have listened too a bijillion times will sound just as wonderful two decades from now as they do today.

Fuck public recognition.
:worship:notworthy:worship:

Now, if you don't like it, that is your right and no one is forcing you to listen to it. But don't come here saying that it is boring and ridiculous, 'cause you're not really showing much respect for the bands (who put a lot of effort into it) and for your fellow forum people on here that do like it. Perhaps you might even start liking it in the future (like I did) and feel stupid of making these statements ... but for now, it's just a matter of taste. I know several bands that I just don't like listening to, although I do have respect for what they do and for people listening to it, because I know there is more to it than I seem to grasp when listening to it.

I agree with you, and I add that I didn't like Opeth the first time I listened to it, it took me quite a time to get used to the heavy parts.
I also agree when you say that it usually takes some time to appreciate some bands, BUT, I don't feel like forcing myself to listen to DM bands since I already tried it many times, and, main difference with Opeth is that Opeth songs have those amazing acoustic parts that made me say, the first times I listened to it, "There's no fucking way that a band which can compose these folk parts are shitting over it with death metal".
Okay, so that was a pretty stupid statement and it didn't last long to get familiar with these metal parts that I now fully appreciate.
Also, like I said, that's MY opinion of Death Metal and the differences I can find between Opeth and casual DM bands may not be absolutely true.

Last thing, sorry if it seemed like I was shitting over Death Metal, I can respect other people's tastes (oh, yeah, except those who're listening to hip-hop) since I actually have pretty weird tastes myself, but that was just an answer to someone who said that Opeth could open people's minds to Death Metal, which is quite wrong IMO.

I would account our disagrees to a different definition of what's prog. I think in the lines of Dream Theater when I hear that word, but there is that 70's shit also!

Yeah prog isn't just Dream Theater, it also includes stuff like Porcupine Tree and Children of Bodom.

Yeah prog isn't just Dream Theater, it also includes stuff like Porcupine Tree and Children of Bodom.

That about covers it...

I completely disagree with you...:).

If I wasn't busy talking shit about bands here, I wouldn't have any posts lol. Seriously though, people should express their opinions freely, regardless of what side of the spectrum it comes from. Honestly, I find the infinite degrees of "fanboy-ism" here just as nauseating as the blatant trolls and "ignorant" opinions. It's always fun seeing these polarities argue with each other anyways :)