Opeth's extreme metal venture

LordMorgoth

Lord of Utumno
Apr 15, 2004
As hinted i the dvd, opeth's next album will be insanely heavy and extreme.

What do you think it should be, will be, etc.

I myself am really excited about it, and could someone give me word on when they are beginning recording

Miller High Death said:
Mike has also said recently that the song he was working on had real mellow parts too.

I like your avatar, man. And yea, he's said he wanted it to be really extreme/cold/heavy and yet have a really melodic/mellow side as well... surprise, it's Opeth! :) It's gonna be exciting, I wish I could hiburnate until the release.

ShroudOfDusk said:
Black metal or not, it wouldn't hurt anyone to sacrifice a bit of production quality for a bit of atmosphere.

I'm with you on that one. I guess it's just a matter of taste and opinion, but I can't stand when people bash the production of Orchid and Morningrise, or bands like Diabolical Masquerade (Death's Design and Nightwork)... I think those kind of production are much more suitable for the albums than a perfectly clean album. It gives the song such raw power, sounds more natural and all.

true... MAYH wasnt very good production but it gave it so much atmosphere and an "evil" sound almost....yet still life was really clean and it sounded good as well....so eh either way is good i guess. i dont think they are gonna do black metal. they just gonna do an occult theme...WHO THE FUCK MENTIONED BLACK METAL?!!! but like ive said in other threads i would love to hear them do some crazy ass blast beats....i have all their albums and i havnt heard any blast beats...maybe i missed it or forgot but idk...they seem to incorperate everything into their music...so this would be exciting to hear on the new album.

Take a look on their website, and I'm pretty sure they were aiming for something different by avoiding blastbeats... kinda trying to show that you can do brutal without them... though I dont think you can realy get as much intensity without.

yer he did, i dont care i trust mike enough to say that i will like the next album, mellow, death, black what ever i know itll be good i just hope he doesnt run out of those inovative riffs and mystical lyrics

Can you believe this guy says he's not much of a lyricist? Stupid Mikael...

Somehow I doubt it's gonna turn out black metal despite what they said. I'm sure they'll advance from the BWP/Deliverance kind of sound in some way, and they'll always have a surprise in store for us.

Here's to hoping it's another concept album!

IAmEternal said:
Can you believe this guy says he's not much of a lyricist? Stupid Mikael...

Somehow I doubt it's gonna turn out black metal despite what they said. I'm sure they'll advance from the BWP/Deliverance kind of sound in some way, and they'll always have a surprise in store for us.

Here's to hoping it's another concept album!

I REALLY hope it's a concept album as thats shown to produce Opeth's best albums. Also, the fact that it's a concept definitely helps the atmosphere of a cd in my opinion. I think the atmosphere on Still Life is unbeatable, and if it didn't have the concept flowing throughout I don't think it'd be quite as good.

I really hope he makes it really extreme and brutal as anything theyve ever done, but I hope he has some beautiful parts as well, and perhaps experiment with a piano some more as they add loads of atmosphere.

from this web site

"Rumors of an eighth album by late 2004 have cropped up. An interview in summer 2003 with Mikael Åkerfeldt suggested that while he has no idea what he wants to do, one thought was that their next album may be an epic black metal album (to the delight of Martin Mendez and Lopez, former black metal band members)."

I think Opeth should stop playing extreme metal period...unless it is American thrash metal. I hear Mikael can pull off Steve Souza (Exodus) vocals dead on as well as Chuck Billy. Then get Lars Szoke to drum for Opeth because he is better than Martin Lopez by a mile. Lars may not be thrash, but he is the best metal drummer period. Wait, Lars ulrich...there we go...but of course we all know that would never happen.
God forbid them playing black metal music, but acquireing a black metal production like nattans madrigal and/or wrath of the tyrant would be amazing.

Esoterik said:
Didn't Mike specifically say it was almost black metal at the end of the DVD documentary?
When asked about this by an Ozzie Radio DJ Mikael said (paraphrasing)
"I talk too much (about the black metal stuff) - I am working on a song that has some of the heaviest stuff I have done, and parts that could fit on Damnation"

So this seems to suggest that people should stop taking everything Mikael says seriously, he likes to be a larrikan and have a joke around!!

:)