Opeth's extreme metal venture

I think the later albums have become too production-oriented. The black metal thing really gave me hope as it immediately put in my mind a drier production sound, with less fancy tricks and more focus on the actual musicianship. With SW at the helm, I have even less hope now.

Excactly Moonlapse, as long as SW is involved it´s not gonna even resemble BM. Also recently Mike stated that it was going to contain "damnation-like soft parts/songs, and that´s not what comes to my mind when I think of BM. I still look forward to the release it´s just a bit of a letdown that Mike first mentions BM and then indirectly says it´s not gonna happen anyway.

Moonlapse said:
I think the later albums have become too production-oriented. The black metal thing really gave me hope as it immediately put in my mind a drier production sound, with less fancy tricks and more focus on the actual musicianship. With SW at the helm, I have even less hope now.
Load of bollocks, I hope your disappointed, coz I want a crystal clear production, with no black metal and plenty of SW influence :p

IAmEternal said:
I like your avatar, man.

It reminds me Tortoise - It's All Around You album cover :)

B0001EMW06.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Schism said:
Fuck You Idiot, stop living in the past, Opeth are not gonna do another Orchid Or Morning rise (thank god)
Thanks alot for the cliche, but we can do without it. Is holding the opinion that Opeth's music has gradually been overshadowed by the now-integral production elements one that suggests the next favourable step be regression? No, I don't think Shroud wanting or not wanting them to go back to their roots has anything to do with it. It appears from the response I received in the 'Evolution in Songwriting' thread, there are at the very least a few people in here who believe that Opeth's music has gradually monotonized itself either to accomodate the production elements added to their music, or just because there was no great focus on the actual instrumentation of Deliverance, and to a lesser extent, Damnation (although in a sense its perfectly justifiable given their circumstances in the studio).

Peace be with you, I certainly don't doubt you'll be pleased with the coming album.

Here's to hoping they don't regress, but don't stay the same either! I'm sure Steve Wilson can give them whatever kind of production they want, and that one's up to the band.

ShroudOfDusk said:
Thankyou for quoting Mr Niel. Funny guy... though not as funny as you.
I'm such a dickhead that I will quote myself:

Mr. Niel said:
I think the Deliverance songs come across better live than they do on CD. I think it's an okay Opeth album. I think the production is fucking great (love those drums), but the rhythm guitar tone is a little too dry.

I think Damnation was pretty great. It was pretty much what I was expecting. I think it's weird how everyone was expecting an album full of "To Bid You Farewell," which I always thought was sorta cheesy...

I thought it was pretty dumb not to have any old stuff on the DVD, but still liked it. It was a good show. The documentary was neato.

I think it will be better to not have too many preconceived notions about this next record. Deliverance was touted as "the heaviest Opeth album yet" and had like a few riffs that were heavy, and then the rest was regular Opeth stuff. I think that let alot of people down. They should have said "it has some of our heaviest MOMENTS" or something to that effect...everyone is getting all jumpy about black metal this and black metal that...I'll believe it when I hear it. I'll probably like it either way, but it'll be better not to have too many ideas to cling on to and just approach it fresh, like the new Suffocation album...

ShroudOfDusk said:
You'd be wrong. I mean, for gods sake... you like The Butterfly Effect!
:OMG::OMG:Butterfly Effect rock you bastard!!! :hotjump::hotjump::hotjump::Shedevil::zombie: