creating our own ep step by step

yeah, sounds cool now! what about a gated reverb on the snare? could sound like an exploding snare, what do you mean?
by the way, you also can try vintagewarmer on the snare, it can give you a very good punch...
did you reduced the 700hz a bit? just to give the snare a bit more bite..

sounds really good so far.
Good job on the drums.
Its nice to listen to your progress on this.

+1

And OP, the stillwell plug did wonders. Sounds much better now :headbang:
What sort of drum mix are you going for? A relatively roomy one, natural sound or a more in your face, polished sound?

Kick sounds good, maybe a tad too loud.
And with the snare, maybe try mixing in a really dry sample with your current snare. Something with a nice crack and some ring to it. Best of both worlds, then. It might not sound good, but it's worth a shot.
Sounding great so far dude.

Sounds like the snare you added wasn't really a "cracky" snare (to me the original snare has more crack...).

I prefer the version with the former snare. Try to get a really high-pitched cracky snare à la Slate Deftones or something, then keep only what you need (the cracky stuff) on this snare and get rid of the rest, and blend it with the original snare, and post the result.

Don't forget to take into consideration that it may increase the overall volume of the snare in the mix, and making you think like "woah it's much better i hear the snare better" whereas the snare is just louder, so put a bit less snare volume and then A/B it with the original thing. I know... it's common sense... :)

I used the black beauty which was posted by hermie. could you recommend any good "cracky" snare, i.e. pm a link to a good one. Cause I cannot find the one your referring to. and you're thinking about put a filter on the snare to extract that cracky part. what frequencies would that be (roughly)? thanks in advance
EDIT: how can I add a sample to another one? I just used a send going out of the snare track to a fx with another instant of drumagog. but I have a sort of delay between both instances. is it possible with drumagog to blend to samples? how would you do that normally?

I used the black beauty which was posted by hermie. could you recommend any good "cracky" snare, i.e. pm a link to a good one. Cause I cannot find the one your referring to. and you're thinking about put a filter on the snare to extract that cracky part. what frequencies would that be (roughly)? thanks in advance
EDIT: how can I add a sample to another one? I just used a send going out of the snare track to a fx with another instant of drumagog. but I have a sort of delay between both instances. is it possible with drumagog to blend to samples? how would you do that normally?

Slate posted a "free" snare a long time ago, that one was quite cracky, but i don't know if it's still fine for him if i upload it now... You should ask him via PM.

About the frequencies i don't know i'm still a noob for this kind of stuff so use your ears or ask more experimented people.

Same with the blending. I've not tried Drumagog/Aptrigga yet and to date i've been duplicating my snare track and using one sample per track.
I guess you can find some very detailed posts about this topic (in the "production" section).

I have a separate project file for mixing/messing around with combining samples.

I think your original snare has enough body, so in the sample, you could try high passing around 800hz - 1k.

i personally would see that sample not worthy as there is a load of bleed from some kinda cymbal.

+1.

But you should try anyway. Maybe the cymbal bleed won't be noticed.

Before you do the hipass thing i suggest you to try your original snare and the new snare at the same time, and pitch the new snare to have a good crack (I'd pitch it higher if it doesn't sound good already) and to avoid a weird sound combined with the original snare.

because everytime I added a sample (found that free slate deftone sample) it sounded like fuck, I decided to eq the snare to sound more cracky. also I decided to use no samples at all and eq the kick drum a bit. raised the oh, because our drummer insisted on it. ;) so that's pretty much the end-drum sound. do you dig it?
http://www.servoserver.de/ep/drums_7th_guitartest_second.mp3

Sounds good to me. What did you do exactly in terms of EQ to make it more cracky ?