Creepy sounds / parts of songs?

Orchid

Nonchalant Onlooker
May 5, 2001
www.thalesband.com
This morning on my way to work I was listening to Tool - Lateralus and the 4th track, "Mantra", started and I got a very chilly feeling 'cause of it. That sound is so goddamn eerie, like a whale moaning in outer space hundreds of lightyears away. :rolleyes:

Another "evil" or "scary" part is in Judas Priest's 'Nightcrawler'.

What songs or sounds make you feel something different from the "ah yeah this is good!" or "this is so funky! I'd like to jump around and shout!"?

Two songs that recently scared the pants off of me:

Sigh - Dreamsphere: a really chilling keyboard part at around two minutes, and much of the album Imaginary Sonicscape sounds like a nightmare put to music.
Maudlin Of The Well - Bizarre Flowers/A Violent Mist: a section with a minimalist doom riff and eerie wordless growls in the background, which explains the second half of the title

How about Genesis - The Waiting Room (from 'The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway', 1974)

That has to be one of the scariest 4 minutes of music ever put on tape, I don't even know how to describe it, but it gave me nightmares when I was a kid.. I even used to run out of the room I was listening the album to when it came on because I thought I was going to die!

While they were recording it, there was a storm outside and near the end of the song, a lighting bolt hit all the trash cans outside of the studio... it actually got picked up on tape and it's scary as hell.

Check it out, or that whole album for that matter.

Rush - Cygnus X-1. You just won't listen to this with the lights off. No you won't. Just the sound effects alone in the beginning give me the chills, but the whole song is so twisted...you cannot help but feel the black hole they're singing about.

Pink Floyd - Time - the clocks!! *gasp* ;)
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Dream Theater - The Dance of Eternity
Marillion - Fugazi

Tool definitely have their moments as well, you're right!

<preacher mode>

Yes, hallelujah ! Current 93 is the answer ! What can be more creepy than music with titles like "Ach Golgotha", "Swastikas for Goddy", "The Fall of Christopher Robin", "Falling Back in Fields of Rape" etc... Very intense, visual, and atmospheric !

</preacher mode>

Blackwater Park is probably the creepiest Opeth song...

-------------------------------------------
NP: Marduk - Those of the Unlight

This is very apt: The word I hear most often to describe Maudlin would be "indescribable", but for purposes of conversation I would call them progressive doom. They use a lot of surreal arrangements and exotic instrumentation. I recently received the two album set from Dark Symphonies and it is an incredible and otherworldly experience. Here are the most relatively accessible (although highly demanding) songs:

Bath: Heaven And Weak, Girl With A Watering Can, Birth Pains Of Astral Projection
Leaving Your Body Map: Gleam In Ranks, Riseth He The Numberless

Hell yeah Raven777, and Vortex prog stuff has some of the weirdest shit ever!! I would have to say a REALLY REALLY weird song that I have heard is by a band called Gentle Giant, the song is called "Knots". You just have to hear this guys, download it sometime it's sooo weird, but cool, check it out! :)

Well, let me see:

° Evoken
° Skepticism
° Dolorian
° Deinonychus
° Esoteric
° Shape of Despair
° Bethlehem (great hysterical vocals on S.U.I.Z.I.D.)

It´s great to listen to those bands at night!

Cheers

Yeah, I love all of that 70s prog material...I also used to think that certain passages of the Lamb were creepy and the music still strikes me as being just as surrealistic as its concept, especially In The Cage. Cygnus X-1 is a huge reason why Farewell To Kings is my favorite Rush album along with Permanent Waves...those noises in Bytor are a definite "there is nothing wrong with your CD...is there?" moment.

As far as metal goes, I remember being very spooked by Dead Skin Mask when I first heard it at age fifteen...

Fire On High - Electric Light Orchestra

It was my first taste of backwards lyrics, and eerie too.

Many Pink Floyd passages I remember as eerie, even though I was never really a huge fan.

I have a recommendation to any of you out there who want to listen to spooky/sinister/really evil sounding music. Now I'm a big big fan of electronica as well as metal. And sure, I cop alot of shit from metal heads, but I don't really give a fuck because I'm happy listening to what I want. Anywayz, check out the artist "Panacea" ... the album is "Low Profile Darkness" ... some sample songs you might wanna download are "Stormbringer" and "Hellbringer". You mightn't like them, but they sure as hell are sinister soudning songs, hehe. Have fun.