Tool - Lateralus

Static

Manically depressed robot
May 5, 2002
Wellington, NZ
Visit site
Tool is undeniably one of the most intruiging bands in the mainstream music scene. The band members hardly ever do interviews, they're music videos are strange, artistic endeavours. The band may be in the mainstream, but they are shrouded in a purposeful mist of secrecy. They also have very interesting and progressive music, although they are not really an extremely technical band. It really is strange how popular Tool has become, considering how stand-offish they are to publicity, but the mainstream have adopted them as the one, lone band with an artistic vision swimming in a pool of mediocrity. On to the music their latest effort, Lateralus contains.

Lateralus opens with the very interesting track 'The Grudge'. Many have described this track as 'tribal', and that is how it sounds, especially due to Danny Carey's drumming, which, just like in previous releases, is the one thing that stands out the most. His drumming on Lateralus is awe-inspiring, no matter what is going on in a song, Danny Carey is always there, deftly laying down his complex and intruiging drum beats. The man is peerless (sorry bout the ass kissing here :D ).

'Eon Blue Apocalypse' is a slightly pointless sounding little guitar interlude with a stupid name. It leads into 'The Patient' which is a song with an interesting melody and odd structure...the sound of this song is quite unlike anything Tool has done before, very spacey and strange. 'Mantra' is soothing whale noises which lead into 'Schism', which is this reviewers personal favourite Tool song. I've been expposed to this song all over TV, on radio, and repeatedly on my CD, and still think it has an extremely interesting melody, especially the bass, and is beautiful in its heaviness and innovation. 'Parabol/Parabola' is a two piecer, Parabol is a 3 min lead into Parabola, the most straight forward rocker on the album. However, I find myself growing tired of this tune, it is quite rocky, heavy and all that, but eventually listening to it becomes slightly tiresome to my ears.

'Ticks and Leeches' opens with spectacular drumming from Danny, and it is soon apparent this is Tools heaviest, most evil song so far. Maynard screams his heart out about his hate of everything, he has never displayed this much anger in any of the previous songs. More interesting is the 3 minute guitar interlude in this bone-crushing song, the heaviness is crushing and suddenly we are thrown into a peaceful/spacey guitar section which is extremely calm. This goes on and then after a while and then we are suddenly thrust back into the extreme heaviness. It is masterful, a sudden calm followed by an intense section of pure metal.

'Lateralis' the song, is also a stand out. It is possibly the most progressive and interesting song on the disc. It starts calmly, after a while we are hit by a heavy chord and Maynard comes in 'Black and white are, all I see, In my infancy'. It has very introspective and deep lyrics, and throughout holds the listener with its interesting beat and rhythm. Also the ending is very epic.

The next three songs are 'Disposition', 'Reflection' and 'Triad', which all flow as one massive 22 minute song cut into 3 sections. Disposition is a lovely and calm song, and Reflection has a very cool tribal beat that sounds trippy and original. The only problem is the song drags majorly and is way too repetitive. Triad is an instrumental metal song that is heavy and has great drumming.

Lateralus is definately a worthy addition to your collection. By this release Tool have matured, and it shows in this refined and progressive album. My only problem with the album is how it lacks some of the fury Tool once had. With their maturity they seem less angry, and now address abstract concepts with their music. On 'Aenima' the band was angry and raved at corporations, scientology and trendiness. On Lateralus the music is more varied and progressive but some of that 'spark' the band had doesn't seem to be there. Also, the guitarist is not exactly the best on the world, and after a while his lack of technical riffs gets slightly frustrating. I always thought Adam Jones was not a very good guitarist, on Lateralus he has improved quite a lot, but his feedback distortion wailing sometimes gets annoying.

I purchased this release a while back, before I discovered Opeth and many others, and I think Tool was my gateway to many more excellent metal bands and helped me cross the threhhold to discovering so much more brilliant metal. I hardly listen to Tool anymore, but the band will always hold a special place in my heart, and if you do not own Lateralus, after a bit of listening you will find this is a mature and excellent release from one of metals best bands.

Overall - 8.5/10

Good review, great album, though I do find myself only listening to "The Grudge", "Schism", "Ticks and Leeches" etc, there are too many fillers/boring bits.

I prefer AEnima.

I find AEnima to be rather more saturated with junk and filler than Lateralus. Lateralus' 'filler' is moody music that can still work on a certain level (for liseners like me) whereas I find the weirder tracks on AEnima are just random pap. Egg Of Satan? Message to whatshisname? Ions? Fucks sake, thats all bullshit.

The only one I listen to nowadays is Undertow in any case.

Glad someone put a review of this up here. These guys deserve all the praise they get. Tool is not metal but they still can evoke the widest range of emotion from any band that I know of. It was this band that got me hooked on music. Comparisons to Opeth led the way to heavier music for me, and now sadly, I rarely listen to them. I do believe that Aenima is the greatest album ever; there is no "filler" in there. Trust me, it is all meant to be. Lateralus is a true experience but personally can never top Aenima.

Lateralus was a big dissapointment to me, Aenima was and still is one of my favourite albums of all time. They will never be my favourite band because there isn't enouph complex riffs or melodies. There great song writers and the riffs have plenty of emotion but Tool are being held back by the lack of technical ability of the guitarist.

I agree with the Aenima is better and this gets too boring sentiments. I liked Disposition, Schism and The Grudge but that was about it.

Oh, and Radiohead are by far the best band in the mainstream worth caring about :p

Glad to see someone else digs Tool, but I must also admit that Radiohead annoys the shit out of me. I guess I just hate the singer's voice and find the music boring for the most part, at least from what I've heard. Musically I couldn't say if they compare to Tool since I haven't listened enough to make a fair judgement, but vocally, almost no one tops Maynard IMO, and especially not that singer.

Oh and now that I've stopped laughing and before this turns into a Radiohead versus Tool debate, just compare any song on Undertow to any song on Lateralus..then compare any song from any Radiohead album to any other song on any other Radiohead album to see how diverse and unique this band are.

Radiohead appeal to a huge amount of people, and are generally regarded as the most important band in mainstream rock these days. They are by a mile my favourite band ever, making my love for Opeth seem miniscule by comparison. Loads of people are fans of Radiohead, from Michael Jackson to The Dillinger Escape Plan. I'd love to see Tool have the testicular fortitude to come out and release an album to the likes of "KID A".

Lateralus is an awesome album. I REALLY like all the songs besides the last two. One of the album's greatest strenths is its percussiveness. Yes, I can see the comparisons to "tribal", but it really has nothing to do with that, as opposed to an album like "roots" by sepultura, which was deliberately tribal. The melodies and song structures are also very impressive parts of the album. I feel this is a better album than Aenima.

Oh, and will you babies stop comparing tool and radiohead? Jesus, why not compare aphex twin to opeth?

Originally posted by rheap1
Glad someone put a review of this up here. These guys deserve all the praise they get. Tool is not metal but they still can evoke the widest range of emotion from any band that I know of. It was this band that got me hooked on music. Comparisons to Opeth led the way to heavier music for me, and now sadly, I rarely listen to them. I do believe that Aenima is the greatest album ever; there is no "filler" in there. Trust me, it is all meant to be. Lateralus is a true experience but personally can never top Aenima.

They deserve all the praise they get?! Pshhh..what the fuck ever. You must have the brain of a fucking amoeba..When I saw them live it was about the most disappointing show ever..Maynard is such an asshole he can't even face his own fans..that guy can fuck himself. As for their music..you want real art rock or heavy music that takes more thought rather than complexity...TRY NEUROSIS..Tool should take notes from these guys..that is all.