The secret to Tool's "Lateralus"

I feel sorry for you guys who dont want to open your minds for new alternative thinking.:ill:

I'm big fan of tool, and i really take tool :worship:as inspiration to my own music. And if that mean that ggggggu will call me gay, then do it.

Even if i was'nt a fan of tool i would feel this reading interesting.

But as a music lover (i expect that any member of ultimatemetal forum is) i think you guys who sayed that tool = gays, you guys should not love tool but at least respect them.

Without them and Maynard Keen, we dont have music genre called Alternative Metal.

I respect that you dont love bands like tool, but i think its stupid to say Tool = gays. YEAH? BUT WHY?. give me a reason dude.
:yuk:
I dont love all music, but i dont let shit out.

hahaha you remind of the homo on youtube who cries for britney spears: "LEAVE TOOL ALONE!"

dont get me wrong, not that i love the band =)

I like this album, but it's one of the most pretentious albums I've heard in recent memory...and this Fibonacci shit is one reason why.

For me, great art is more than it initially seems to be. It took until studying music in college for me to accept that all the crap my HS lit teachers had been cramming down my throat about interpretation was pretty much on the money. Is Lateralus "great art"? I don't think so. It's an interesting listen, at most. I actually think it's pretty boring. Maybe all this extra-musical stuff will cause me to listen to it again. It won't make the music better.... But, I have to agree with earlier posters that I feel like Tool puts a LOT of filler on their albums. Loved Undertow, Loved about 3/4 of Aenima, and liked even less of Lateralus. Their brand of "experimentation" is not very interesting to me. It all ends up sounding the same.

Bela Bartok was into Fibonacci series, btw, and is a much better listen.

Fascinating. I've been listening to this for 5 years. One thing I'm certain of is; I will never reach the depths or heights of this music!!! Brilliance in a fuckin' disc.

Okay, I admit it. I'm listening to Lateralus re-ordered right now. I will say this of the experience: it does seem a bit more interesting now. Perhaps it's merely the novelty. I don't think there's anything major to discover this way (no demons seem to have been released yet afaik), although track 13 in the middle of the listening experience is kind of interesting and Eon Blue Apocalypse into Reflection is kind of cool.

However, there's no doubting the intent of the song Lateralus (and perhaps the rest of the album?). You know, if using this as a means of inspiration lights their fire, so be it. For some bands it's literature (Tolkien and Melville come to mind), for others it's history (Iron Maiden, for example), why not math?

I like the idea of putting limits on your creative output. I think the use of limits acts as a filter and helps refine what you create. (May explain my interest and dabblings with 12 tone composing and serialism...) Some people choose to use larger controlling devices and I like that! Bartok's use of the Fibonacci series and the Golden Ratio in the 4th String Quartet comes to mind immediately. Like Tool will do many years later, he uses Fibonacci numbers for rhythmic structure (he even has marked it in the margins of the score!), but also in the overall structure of the movements of the Quartet. Sometimes the product isn't appealing aesthetically when artists do this sort of thing, but I appreciate that there's something going on that may take a little extra work on my part as an observer to appreciate. It makes further listens, reads, viewings, etc. far more rewarding.

And, if that was Tool's intent... well, I'm listening again, aren't I?

For me, though, that they use the Fibonacci series isn't as intriguing as why. I think Tool begins to explain it in the song Lateralus, but Bartok doesn't have lyrics working for him, so why he does it is a bit more elusive and worthy of exploration.

Cool video of Lateralus interpretation here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS7CZIJVxFY

Okay, I admit it. I'm listening to Lateralus re-ordered right now. I will say this of the experience: it does seem a bit more interesting now. Perhaps it's merely the novelty. I don't think there's anything major to discover this way (no demons seem to have been released yet afaik), although track 13 in the middle of the listening experience is kind of interesting and Eon Blue Apocalypse into Reflection is kind of cool.

However, there's no doubting the intent of the song Lateralus (and perhaps the rest of the album?). You know, if using this as a means of inspiration lights their fire, so be it. For some bands it's literature (Tolkien and Melville come to mind), for others it's history (Iron Maiden, for example), why not math?

I like the idea of putting limits on your creative output. I think the use of limits acts as a filter and helps refine what you create. (May explain my interest and dabblings with 12 tone composing and serialism...) Some people choose to use larger controlling devices and I like that! Bartok's use of the Fibonacci series and the Golden Ratio in the 4th String Quartet comes to mind immediately. Like Tool will do many years later, he uses Fibonacci numbers for rhythmic structure (he even has marked it in the margins of the score!), but also in the overall structure of the movements of the Quartet. Sometimes the product isn't appealing aesthetically when artists do this sort of thing, but I appreciate that there's something going on that may take a little extra work on my part as an observer to appreciate. It makes further listens, reads, viewings, etc. far more rewarding.

And, if that was Tool's intent... well, I'm listening again, aren't I?

For me, though, that they use the Fibonacci series isn't as intriguing as why. I think Tool begins to explain it in the song Lateralus, but Bartok doesn't have lyrics working for him, so why he does it is a bit more elusive and worthy of exploration.

Cool video of Lateralus interpretation here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS7CZIJVxFY

i certainly understand what you are saying dave, but the thing is: i used to love the lateralus track even before this fibonacci thing was revealed to me four years ago. for an avid tool listener like me, these kinds of things make the music more intriguing and appreciate the artists' talent much more.
i feel the same way about, say, david fincher's movies, neil gaiman's sandman series or shakespeare's literature.