The secret to Tool's "Lateralus"

I suppose you didn't understand "The Fountain" then either in your signature.

Lol, What the hell are you talking about? Did I ever say I didn't "get" the whole re-order thing? No. I just don't care for it because I love the album how it is enough and I don't like the re-ordered versions. Don't be such a fanboy and throw out little bitch comments like that because someone doesn't feel the same way about it as you do.

Seems to me that people should be allowed to like whatever music they like... I for one have learned that different kinds of musical genres need to be listened to in different way in order to be enjoyed. I think Opeth is very much about the emotion behind the music. You feel it. Tool always struck me as being more about inspiring thought. I know that I for one have read a lot of interesting books because of Tool, so meh. To each their own.

And yeah, I never liked Dan Brown...

Lol, What the hell are you talking about? Did I ever say I didn't "get" the whole re-order thing? No. I just don't care for it because I love the album how it is enough and I don't like the re-ordered versions. Don't be such a fanboy and throw out little bitch comments like that because someone doesn't feel the same way about it as you do.

I'm a tool fanboy?

Then you're Dan Brown.

Why would the band incode a secret track list in there songs? If its what the meant to do with it wouldn't they have released the songs in that order?

Because they're pretentious...and so that like-minded fans can call those who don't understand or give a shit about it weak or narrow-minded...

Because you listen to music that has nothing to offer doesn't mean you should knock bands that try to take the simple act of listening just a little bit farther. I have tried this and he's right about the flow. the album also plays well the original way. The fact is, stuff like this is fun. it has nothing to do with pretentiousness, it's about delivering a message that requires a little effort on the part of the listener. You don't have to like it...or more likely, get it; but don't make pointless statements about the material to make yourself feel better or others feel worse about something we enjoy and you do not. Lateralus is a concept album and therefore it tells one story from beginning to end. The msg of each song doesn't change just because you change the order of the tracks. But the flow of the story and the music, without the lyrics, is different, and depending on your personal views...better. If you don't like tool or you're a closed minded bastard, then this forum doesn't apply to you and you should go away. The end.

Tool is this generation's Pink Floyd.

a) you obviously dont know maynard... pretentiousness is the only applicable word
b) this is the non opeth music chat section of the forum, its for everybody
c) thats an insult to pink floyd
d) shit first post tbh

If you don't like tool or you're a closed minded bastard, then this forum doesn't apply to you and you should go away. The end.

Tool is this generation's Pink Floyd.

I didn't know that it's mandatory to like Tool to be on this forum. sry.

As for being this generation's Pink Floyd, I would give that label to Porcupine Tree.

I didn't know that it's mandatory to like Tool to be on this forum. sry.

As for being this generation's Pink Floyd, I would give that label to Porcupine Tree.

Tool is more comparable IMO in that their album releases are HUGE FUCKIN BUSINESS in the slightly less mainstream circles and that they always have ridiculous lyrics that are interpreted by billions of fanboys in the most annoying ways possible as well as music that is said to be intended to be played out of order or as the score to the wizard of oz or w/e even though they probably didn't intend it. Also they only release albums every few years and they always get massively critically lauded and shit. Also a huge component of their popularity is their pretentious videos and theatrics kind of like pink floyd and the wall, i guess.

Porcupine tree sounds more like pink floyd but only prog nerd idiots care about them and steven wilson writes like 5 albums a year and thus the releases really don't carry much gravity or garner much attention at all, not to mention when was the last time you heard anyone deeply analyzing their lyrics (which are about xboxes and mtv and emails) or claiming that their music was supposed to be played in this alternate track order based on the fibonacci sequence?

Porcupine tree sounds more like pink floyd but only prog nerd idiots care about them and steven wilson writes like 5 albums a year and thus the releases really don't carry much gravity or garner much attention at all, not to mention when was the last time you heard anyone deeply analyzing their lyrics (which are about xboxes and mtv and emails) or claiming that their music was supposed to be played in this alternate track order based on the fibonacci sequence?

Lyrics aren't really that important to Porcupine Tree. The music is what Wilson works on most. Lyrics are just his after thoughts. I love Porcupine Tree and I'm not a 'prog nerd idiot.' That's just like saying EVERY person who enjoys Tool is a pretentious fan-boy fag who dreams of blowing Maynard.

Tool sure swims in the high seas of pretentiousness but they are pretty good, 98% of their fanbase is retarded though, it's the truth and i'm none to change it

Lyrics aren't really that important to Porcupine Tree. The music is what Wilson works on most. Lyrics are just his after thoughts. I love Porcupine Tree and I'm not a 'prog nerd idiot.' That's just like saying EVERY person who enjoys Tool is a pretentious fan-boy fag who dreams of blowing Maynard.

Yeah, it is. I was making a ludicrous generalization for the purpose of humor. I have all of PT's albums starting at signify and I generally don't listen to prog, but the point still stands that they're much more underground than tool and are listened to by a much smaller variety of people, as well as their lyrics aren't as important (to their fans anyway) as tool's and pink floyd's are.