TOOL-10000 days

the dammed

Mar 8, 2006
www.mutinynet.tk
TOOL eh? They should be dead and buried by now.
Or so i thought until i plucked the courage to buy this latest offering from the prog metallers.
It starts off well,the single Vicarious sound like every tool album you liked before and mixed up with a pinch of something new. Jambi again,is also excellent. In fact the whole album is excellent........until after Rosetta Stoned. After Rosetta... it just looses its punch IMO, and the songs become too long and boring.
On saying that, up until then the album is one of TOOL's best combining technical drum and bass patterns and Maynards singing on top form. Its also more guitar influenced,with Adam Jones even playing solos and talkbox solos.
So if your a TOOl fan,buy it and give it a chance before deciding whether its shit or not.If your not a TOOL fan,your missing a good band for those moments when Deicide gets a bit too much(not very often with me....)muhahahahahahahah
REMEBER THIS IS MY OPINION!DONT START TELLING ME WHAT I SHOULD AND SHOULDNT WRITE!! Of course,all opinioms are welcome,just dont dis my review!!!!
Oh yeah, alomost forgot....8/10

I saw people buying this album in droves today when I was at Hastings and Best Buy and I must say i will never see the appeal. The most boring band ever.

I love the single. I'll pick up the album in a few days, when it has calmed a little

edit: and about the songs being boring at the end, I bet they are the type that grow on you. 10-12 on lateralus, for example, are now my favorite songs on that album. They used to put me to sleep, almost.

TylerTheNuke said:
I love the single. I'll pick up the album in a few days, when it has calmed a little

edit: and about the songs being boring at the end, I bet they are the type that grow on you. 10-12 on lateralus, for example, are now my favorite songs on that album. They used to put me to sleep, almost.
You just explained that very well. I too, at first, didn't like the last few songs from '10,000 Days', though now they are my favorite. It was the exact same with 'Lateralus' - 9-11 being my favorite songs. I welcome Tools psychedelic sound moreso than their heavier music.

Base Delta Zero said:
You just explained that very well. I too, at first, didn't like the last few songs from '10,000 Days', though now they are my favorite. It was the exact same with 'Lateralus' - 9-11 being my favorite songs. I welcome Tools psychedelic sound moreso than their heavier music.
Yes its been 3 days ince i posted this and they definitly have grown on me....but i stil give the album 8/10

Just bought it today. 1st listen, I give a 10/10 to it. I especially like 3-4, the wings songs, those were beautiful. My first complaint is that the vocals are too undermixed and/or muffled in a lot of the songs, and I had real trouble hearing the lyrics. What I could make out made it seem like some vietnam thing (I got that from the title, vicarious, and the title track) and post veitnam, when drugs were the answer. hence blame hoffman, the pot, rosetta stoned. I don't have any clue what the last tracks were about, I was too caught up wondering about all of their effects and how they did all this. Something about monkeys and angels. I don't know, but I really really liked it.

oh god the worst band, how can you even remotely consider this band prog metal? they are really awful live too, i think it was the biggest waste of 3 hours in my life.

They are on the path towards crap, It is like they threw this album together in a couple of sittings, rather then constant revision of lyrics and music to get the flow, Tool seemed to deliver on every other release. Saying that the album isn't too bad but it isn't overly great either. Some nice time changes (I a sure Adam commented on the band's fondness of Meshuggah before the release) and Riffs here and there. The lyrics are too straight forward in a few songs, Where in Lateralus, a song's lyrics could have several meanings and took many repeat listens to decipher, This album can be figured out after 2-3 listens.

I liked the album, not one of my favourite though. Favourite: The Pot, because of the voice power that is a bit different from the other songs. Worse: Rosetta Stoned, it didn't fit with the rest, and i can't really find Tool in that piece.
Loved some of the other songs, while some others seemed too much like background stuff.
I liked the album a lot, but in my opinion they could have done better.

If you are a song hopper this album isn't for you. If you are into experiencing different time changes and cerebral lyrics then you will definitely love this album. You must listen to this from start to finish to truly appreciate this record. I like it better than Lateralus only because the flow of the album is incredibly good. For a group to even be considered a prog-band there must be good album flow. It reminds me of Pink Floyd with an edge. Its nice to know that some groups still have control of their art and arent releasing just an album of singles that most record producers are striving for these days. I hear a little Rush influence especially on some guitar effects. Its kind of like Alex Lifeson in the 70's, yet it definitely has the Tool appeal. Once again, a good job on this album and I love what Tool has transformed themselves into and I appreciate the fact this band doesnt subscribe to mainstream radio....I find it amazing with the small amount of airplay this band receives they are still able to sell over 500,000 copies in the first week....Obviously there are a few of us who actually get it and love it...thanks Maynard, Adam, Justin and Danny

all right, one of this albums secrets has been discovered. Some guy noticed that the track times of wings for jambi and vigniti tres add up to the track length of 10,000 days. So, he layered them together, and suppossedly it worked and was clearly intended. They both get heavy at the same time this way, and the riffs sometimes synched up. He says to Qsound it with one in back and one in front, but I doubt it matters, and I'll try it later on headphones to tell you all if it works or not. No one has figured out the album art puzzle that maynard mentioned yet though.

DoomLordDTR said:
They are on the path towards crap, It is like they threw this album together in a couple of sittings, rather then constant revision of lyrics and music to get the flow, Tool seemed to deliver on every other release. Saying that the album isn't too bad but it isn't overly great either. Some nice time changes (I a sure Adam commented on the band's fondness of Meshuggah before the release) and Riffs here and there. The lyrics are too straight forward in a few songs, Where in Lateralus, a song's lyrics could have several meanings and took many repeat listens to decipher, This album can be figured out after 2-3 listens.

You must have gotten something out of this album?

:Shedevil:

I dont think its very good at all. There is so much dead empty space that is wasted. Almost the entire album. This is not a tribal or haunting hypnotic repetitive beat or riff like Neurosis, Isis, Jesu etc, or well, anything interesting at all, but mere dead air.

I just get this feeling they were trying too hard to create something different and expansive, but didnt succeed, and ended up creating something shallow and pretentious instead. Its one of the classic I think there's a deeper genius to it, because on the surface it appears there must be; but in reality there is nothing but two good songs, and filler.

i thought that 10,000 days lacks the depth of their previous albums, nowhere close to their greater works like aenima, opiate. the track i thought that stood out was probably 'right in the two'

To be that guy, I think I need to defend tool allitle. First off, the guitar player is good, I mean, his riffs are way cool and sometimes quite technical, although I do agree that he gets a wee bit repetitive, especially on the solos. If he really likes robert fripp so much, he should use more ideas from him, because his own aren't that great. About the empty space, what empty space? SHallow and pretentious, filler? dead air? You must be high. What you talkin bout? opiate one of tools greater albums? Puhleease.

I enjoyed the album greatly. It has a good, effective mix of heavy sounds and trancing ambiences. After the big "Lost Keys" two-part, though, things seemed to get repetitive. Maybe after another listen I will enjoy it more.