Critical Movie Quotes

yeah, i understand. i graduated from college, dropped out half way through but eventually finished. I wouldn't have gone in the first place out of high school if i thought there were better options then making hoagies for the rest of my life or going to some stupid manual labor training school. none of that appealed to me, so i figured fuck it, i'll go to college. i dropped out of graduate school after 2 weeks and doubt i'll go back. too much money and too much bullshit, but it's mostly the bullshit factor of how universities work, which leads to me saying "why the fuck am i paying so much money for bullshit!" anyway, that's my little story. good will hunting is a very personal movie for me. :cry::lol:

Haha, that Carlin quote is very true. It's a very personal movie for me... in that I'm quitting college to go make hoagies. I'm pleased more by doing simple work and getting pay than doing heady, draining work, so there's no point in me working to get a "good" job since for me personally it would be better without one anyway.

Ever read the book Into The Wild? I just saw the movie of it. Pretty amazing how he managed to live without money. I'm not going that far, but I am going to live an ascetic lifestyle becaue I've been pretty fortunate with money for all of my life and it never has been able to make me happy. Having no money has always been more satisfying for me. I guess that makes me one of the luckiest people in the world... But personally I think a hell of a lot of people only THINK they want to have a lot of money. It's very easy to think that if you had money you'd be happy because then you could buy the things you're craving. But as someone who often gets to buy the things he's craving, it never is even 1/4th as good as imagined. I'm sure not everyone is like me, but some people must be.

Another thing that money does is make you have to worry about using too much money. People think that if they had a little more money, they wouldn't have to worry about it. But in many cases this isn't true. If you make 10 thou instead of 2 thou, you won't live as if you were only making 2 thou, you will amp up your lifestyle for the 10 thou and be in a comparable money situation as before, and therefore be just as worried about money as you ever were. This is one reason why bands like The Rolling Stones who could probably use million dollar bills for toilet paper and stay rich... they still keep needing more and more money. Because you really never stop worrying about money. It's a curse for some people. That's why I LIKE having nothing. Then you have nothing to lose. And luckily I'm equally apathetic towards my lifestyle whether I'm in a situation where I have lots of things or no things.

As for him going to college... I THOUGHT that's what he was doing, since isn't that what Robin Williams and his friend at work wanted him to do? But I have no clue. You are probably right about it. I saw it a year ago and it was on TBS on Thanksgiving so I didn't even catch every minute of it...! :D

Haha, that Carlin quote is very true. It's a very personal movie for me... in that I'm quitting college to go make hoagies. I'm pleased more by doing simple work and getting pay than doing heady, draining work, so there's no point in me working to get a "good" job since for me personally it would be better without one anyway.

Ever read the book Into The Wild? I just saw the movie of it. Pretty amazing how he managed to live without money. I'm not going that far, but I am going to live an ascetic lifestyle becaue I've been pretty fortunate with money for all of my life and it never has been able to make me happy. Having no money has always been more satisfying for me. I guess that makes me one of the luckiest people in the world... But personally I think a hell of a lot of people only THINK they want to have a lot of money. It's very easy to think that if you had money you'd be happy because then you could buy the things you're craving. But as someone who often gets to buy the things he's craving, it never is even 1/4th as good as imagined. I'm sure not everyone is like me, but some people must be.

Another thing that money does is make you have to worry about using too much money. People think that if they had a little more money, they wouldn't have to worry about it. But in many cases this isn't true. If you make 10 thou instead of 2 thou, you won't live as if you were only making 2 thou, you will amp up your lifestyle for the 10 thou and be in a comparable money situation as before, and therefore be just as worried about money as you ever were. This is one reason why bands like The Rolling Stones who could probably use million dollar bills for toilet paper and stay rich... they still keep needing more and more money. Because you really never stop worrying about money. It's a curse for some people. That's why I LIKE having nothing. Then you have nothing to lose. And luckily I'm equally apathetic towards my lifestyle whether I'm in a situation where I have lots of things or no things.

As for him going to college... I THOUGHT that's what he was doing, since isn't that what Robin Williams and his friend at work wanted him to do? But I have no clue. You are probably right about it. I saw it a year ago and it was on TBS on Thanksgiving so I didn't even catch every minute of it...! :D

yes, i saw into the wild recently. i haven't read the book yet, but am going to soon. i thought it was a great movie and my own life has been similar to the main character. i can relate to what you are saying about money. don't worry. you aren't the only one. the best way to get around the money economy is to hunt and gather as chris did in the movie. however, i think if you want to have more success then he did, it would help to not be completely isolated, as he realized, however unfortunately too late. other people help for emotional comfort but also to show you how to hunt and gather succesfully on a long term basis. small scale community and nature, not mass society, is what makes life worth living.

i never did anything with my degree. i have continued to work menial jobs, laboring away at minimal wages. i find it alienating and desire the hunter gather lifestyle. this is difficult even if you are not isolated like chris. first of all the civilized laws prevent you from doing many things that limit the possibility of succesfully living as a hunter gatherer indefinitely. also, the state of wilderness is so decimated it's not like you are experiencing the same bounty of food available in pre-historic times. i think ultimately civilization will either be destroyed by natural or human made catastrophe and the survivros will return to a foraging way of life. if that doesn't happen, i advocate people destroy civilization through insurrectionary resistance. it's a lot to chew on, i know.:lol:

another thing about the good will hunting quote: not only can you get an education, in the sense of learning the same stuff as in college, from a public library for $1.50, you also have more time to read the truly great stuff that is often absent or minimally covered in plenty of colleges. most of the eye-opening shit i ever read came from reading on my own, not through school.

I agree with you regarding money, and how the general public views money as a means to happiness. I view money as it helps me worry less, I dont really want anything, my life is filled with good friends and family which is something money can not buy, the only thing does for me is that enables me to worry less about the necessities of like--food, shelter, utilities, etc I am fortunate enough to have a job that I love doing and enables me to make my own schedule. I could make more doing other things but why should I dread getting up in the morning or hating life to the point where I live for the weekend like so many others do. And I also agree, the more you make the more you spend, its almost a natural evolution, the more you make the less it means

ugh when i get the internet back at home i'm going to show you people some real movie quotes

fight club has a couple of cool quotes (yours not included) but yeah, at best it's trendied up romanticism, at worst it's something a whole lot gayer. i used to love it, admittedly

cuckoo's nest is a great film in some ways but come on, most of those quotes are completely worthless

kmik - as a piece of 'art' perhaps Fight Club is entirely uninspiring and unoriginal, but as a piece of pop culture entertainment, I cannot see what is wrong with rehashing ideals and ideas in a way that will engage people and make them think. It would seem a very rare movie indeed that is not rehashing something that has been before...

kmik - as a piece of 'art' perhaps Fight Club is entirely uninspiring and unoriginal, but as a piece of pop culture entertainment, I cannot see what is wrong with rehashing ideals and ideas in a way that will engage people and make them think. It would seem a very rare movie indeed that is not rehashing something that has been before...

Fight Club is bad entertainment. I love lots of shitty movies, and also other movies by David Fincher. This one however is pretentious and hailed by people as a philosophical masterpiece. There are no characters, no action and nothing funny, so I can't see how you can be entertained.

Fight Club is bad entertainment. I love lots of shitty movies, and also other movies by David Fincher. This one however is pretentious and hailed by people as a philosophical masterpiece. There are no characters, no action and nothing funny, so I can't see how you can be entertained.

Do you think perhaps that the biggest problem with it for you is how others viewed it? Or would that be extrapolating too far? :)

Has anybody seen Waking Life? The whole transcript could be put on here. Best "philosophical" film I've ever seen, definitely.

I saw part of that and I thought it was really good.

The book Into The Wild is all right, but I didn't find it inspiring at all. It was actually kind of depressing, although I guess it depends on how you choose to think about it.

Has anyone else seen Ghost In The Shell? Some people dismiss it but I found it interesting...not too many good quotes - it largely consists of a mixture of action and 10 minute plus monologues.

Falling Down is also a great movie with plenty of excellent quotes that are currently eluding me.

Do you think perhaps that the biggest problem with it for you is how others viewed it? Or would that be extrapolating too far? :)
No, my judgment of films has nothing to do with the way others view it. In Fight Club, you're not sure if you should be entertained or view it critically, it takes itself too seriously but it's stupid at the same time. It's pretentious and you are supposed to 'think', but it's still mainstream. It's like Radiohead, in a sense: it has very little artistic accomplishments even though it pretends to, and yet you can't enjoy it as fun pop. That's why I prefer catchy pop songs and Beethoven to Radiohead, if you see what I mean.

I can sort of understand where you are going.

Fight Club does set grand sets for itself and never quite fills them. It's a good movie and immensely quotable, people enjoy epigram, and that's essentially what the movie is.

kmik - cool, I can understand that. Perhaps if it seemed particularly serious about itself to me I'd feel similarly :)

I loved the character V, from V for Vendetta...

V: [Evey pulls out her mace] I can assure you I mean you no harm.
Evey: Who are you?
V: Who? Who is but the form following the function of what and what I am is a man in a mask.
Evey: Well I can see that.
V: Of course you can. I'm not questioning your powers of observation I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.
Evey: Oh. Right.
V: But on this most auspicious of nights, permit me then, in lieu of the more commonplace sobriquet, to suggest the character of this dramatis persona.
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.
[carves V into poster on wall]
The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.
[giggles]
Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

I loved the character V, from V for Vendetta...

That was a really good movie. There weren't too many really memorable intelligent quotes but overall it was fairly engaging. I was sickened to see a movie doing something original get a 72 on rottentomatoes while the 21st James Bond movie got a 93.
The best part is that the V speech not only works grammatically but also makes sense if you can think fast enough to follow it.