Critical Movie Quotes

Insurrectionary

New Metal Member
Nov 30, 2007
One could call them philosophical quotes, but a lot of philosophy is uncritical bullshit. What are your favorite movie quotes that deal with themes loosely categorized as Critical Theory? Here are some i like. In addition to/instead of quotes, if any quote strikes your fancy or pisses you off, tell us what you think about it.

The Devil's Advocate
John Milton: Let me give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man instincts. He gives you this extraordinary gift, and then what does He do, I swear for His own amusement, his own private, cosmic gag reel, He sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time. Look but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, don't swallow. Ahaha. And while you're jumpin' from one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughin' His sick, fuckin' ass off! He's a tight-ass! He's a SADIST! He's an absentee landlord! Worship that? NEVER!

Good Will Hunting
Will: You wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for a buck fifty in late charges at the public library.

Will: Why shouldn't I work for the N.S.A.? That's a tough one, but I'll take a shot. Say I'm working at N.S.A. Somebody puts a code on my desk, something nobody else can break. Maybe I take a shot at it and maybe I break it. And I'm real happy with myself, 'cause I did my job well. But maybe that code was the location of some rebel army in North Africa or the Middle East. Once they have that location, they bomb the village where the rebels were hiding and fifteen hundred people I never met, never had a no problem with get killed. Now the politicians are sayin', "Oh, Send in the marines to secure the area" 'cause they don't give a shit. It won't be their kid over there, gettin' shot. Just like it wasn't them when their number got called, 'cause they were pullin' a tour in the National Guard. It'll be some kid from Southie takin' shrapnel in the ass. And he comes back to find that the plant he used to work at got exported to the country he just got back from. And the guy who put the shrapnel in his ass got his old job, 'cause he'll work for fifteen cents a day and no bathroom breaks. Meanwhile he realizes the only reason he was over there in the first place was so we could install a government that would sell us oil at a good price. And of course the oil companies used the skirmish over there to scare up domestic oil prices. A cute little ancillary benefit for them, but it ain't helping my buddy at two-fifty a gallon. And they're takin' their sweet time bringin' the oil back of course, and maybe even took the liberty of hiring an alcoholic skipper who likes to drink martinis and fuckin' play slalom with the icebergs, and it ain't too long 'til he hits one, spills the oil and kills all the sea life in the North Atlantic. So now my buddy's out of work and he can't afford to drive, so he's got to walk to the fuckin' job interviews, which sucks 'cause the shrapnel in his ass is givin' him chronic hemorrhoids. And meanwhile he's starvin' 'cause every time he tries to get a bite to eat the only blue plate special they're servin' is North Atlantic scrod with Quaker State. So what did I think? I'm holdin' out for somethin' better. I figure fuck it, while I'm at it why not just shoot my buddy, take his job, give it to his sworn enemy, hike up gas prices, bomb a village, club a baby seal, hit the hash pipe and join the National Guard? I could be elected president.

Twelve Monkeys
Dr. Peters: I think, Dr. Railly, you have given your "alarmists" a bad name. Surely there is very real and very convincing data that the planet cannot survive the excesses of the human race: proliferation of atomic devices, uncontrolled breeding habits, the rape of the environment, the pollution of land, sea, and air. In this context, isn't it obvious that "Chicken Little" represents the sane vision and that Homo Sapiens' motto, "Let's go shopping!" is the cry of the true lunatic?

Instinct
Dr. Ethan Powell: These are shadows of gorillas. Born in cages. Only the old male--he was free once. Still alive. Goliath. l named him that. l brought him here. This cage has broken him. Broken his heart,broken his mind. Made him insane. l did that.

Dr. Ethan Powell: Did you think you were free? Where were you going at today? into the gym, right? in the morning,your wake-up call. in the middle of the night when you wakeup sweating, with your heart pounding.What is it that has you all tied up,Juha, tied up in little knots? Is it ambition? You're no mystery to me, boy. l used to be you.

Fight Club
Tyler Durden: Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

The Matrix
Morpheus: The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.

Play it to the Bone
Vince: Jesus was too good for the church. He was an anarchist. The first thing he'll do when he returns is torch the Vatican.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Chief Bromden: My pop was real big. He did like he pleased. That's why everybody worked on him. The last time I seen my father, he was blind and diseased from drinking. And every time he put the bottle to his mouth, he don't suck out of it, it sucks out of him until he shrunk so wrinkled and yellow even the dogs didn't know him.
McMurphy: Killed him, huh?
Chief Bromden: I'm not saying they killed him. They just worked on him. The way they're working on you.

Jurassic Park
Malcolm: Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not
they could that they didn't stop to think if they
should. Science can create pesticides, but it can't
tell us not to use them. Science can make a nuclear
reactor, but it can't tell us not to build it!
Hammond: But this is nature! Why not give an extinct species a
second chance?! I mean, Condors. Condors are on the
verge of extinction - - if I'd created a flock of them
on the island, you wouldn't be saying any of this!
Malcolm: Hold on - - this is no species that was obliterated by
deforestation or the building of a dam. Dinosaurs had
their shot. Nature selected them for extinction.
Hammond: I don't understand this Luddite attitude, especially
from a scientist. How could we stand in the light of
discovery and not act?
Malcolm: What's so great about discovery? It's a violent,
penetrative act that scars what it explores. What you
call discovery I call the rape of the natural world!

Office Space
Peter Gibbons: Doesn't it bother you that you have to get up in the morning and you have to put on a bunch of pieces of flair?
Joanna: Yeah, but I'm not about to go in and start taking money from the register.
Peter Gibbons: Well, maybe you should. You know, the Nazis had pieces of flair that they made the Jews wear.

The Breakfast Club
Allison Reynolds: When you grow up, your heart dies.
Andrew Clark: Who cares?
Allison Reynolds: I care.

I saw Fight Club there I refused to read on. Shit movie. The theme is overused and stupid and you know that it's hard to imagine but the novel is even worse than that. It's pathetic holywood version of romanticism with a wink towards teenagers. Fuck that.

A good movie without quotes is Koyaanisqatsi.

I saw Fight Club there I refused to read on. Shit movie. The theme is overused and stupid and you know that it's hard to imagine but the novel is even worse than that. It's pathetic holywood version of romanticism with a wink towards teenagers. Fuck that.

A good movie without quotes is Koyaanisqatsi.

Sounds pretty ridiculous to not read on because you don't like one movie. As for fight club, i think the movie and book are great. I don't know exactly what you think the theme of fight club is, but your "overused" comment implies fight club is somehow unoriginal, whereas i see it as a unique masterpiece in an otherwise mostly gargabe saturated mainstream. Romanticism? Not sure exactly what you mean by that either, but various aspects are quite un-romantic in the sense of portraying reality clearly without over-idealizing. Wink towards teenagers? Again, not sure what that means, but i think the movie is a slap in the face wake-up call to everyone who has been emasculated by civilization, men and women, old and young.

Attacking "materialistic culture" as if beating each other is any less materialistic is really old and boring. On surface level it deals with "the wild, passionate and romantic" against the "boring and normal life"; this is an uninteresting theme that is unfit to the present. Yes themes in art are universal and timeless but glorifying the ideals of the Renaissance in art nowdays would be somewhat weird. Thing is the movie does not even deal with that. It is empty. Lots of pop culture, too many things going on symbolizing nothing, everything is unrealistic, bla bla bla. The so called philosophy is said and not inferred from the movie, it actually happens in the background. It is meant for teenagers because it is "extreme" and completely one sided. You should either "live the real life" or be a boring consumer. Just a bad movie, that's all.

The Fight Club paradox: it attacks products but it is actually a product in itself that makes yuo feel "unique"

Attacking "materialistic culture" as if beating each other is any less materialistic is really old and boring. On surface level it deals with "the wild, passionate and romantic" against the "boring and normal life"; this is an uninteresting theme that is unfit to the present. Yes themes in art are universal and timeless but glorifying the ideals of the Renaissance in art nowdays would be somewhat weird. Thing is the movie does not even deal with that. It is empty. Lots of pop culture, too many things going on symbolizing nothing, everything is unrealistic, bla bla bla. The so called philosophy is said and not inferred from the movie, it actually happens in the background. It is meant for teenagers because it is "extreme" and completely one sided. You should either "live the real life" or be a boring consumer. Just a bad movie, that's all.

it attacks capitalism, consumerism, owning things, etc. Not anything that can be associated with the body. Unfit to the present? :lol: I can think of very few movies that are more relevant to the present then fight club. just look at the quote i posted from it. if you can't see how that relates to the present i don't know what to tell ya. Extremism has nothing to do with teenagers. That's a popular myth to discredit what are labelled as extremist ideas or actions.

as for your fight club paradox, yeah, in the grand scheme it's just another bullshit movie that made people a lot of money, but it's still relevant and thought provoking. it also has strong themes of not making you feel unique. hence tyler speaks of breaking a few eggs to make an omelette when bob is shot. things like that increase aa the movie progresses.

one other thing. how the hell is it one sided when the movie is based on a guy with two conflicting sides to his life?:rolleyes:

It is one sided because there is no single sympathetic figure or positive points to "materialistic culture". Everyone is greedy and lives a boring life. But in Fight Club you somehow get "spiritual" by beating other people. This is not real romanticism, this is "follow your dreams" "live an exciting life" "rebel against everyone". This dichotomy is stupid and irrelevant. If you want to read something interesting that discusses the same things in length and depth you might want to read Herman Hesse; but anyway I'd argue that both of these "themes" are the same, because wasting your time beating people is materialistic, stupid and exactly as meaningless as consumerism; but that's beside the point. We have a central character who for some reason suddenly turns from the most boring person in the world to a "totally cool guy". Of course, there is now slow descent into that, or any event that triggers that, or some interesting emotional arc: it just happens so that cool things can happen. This black & white thinking is typical for rebelling teenagers. The movie has really no ideas. That's like writing another 1984. The theme of 1984 is relevant, interesting but it's stupid to write something like it today, don't you think?

I read the quote: in a sense, it's true, but it's so dated and unoriginal that it's almost embarassing. WOW, AMERICA IS COMMERCIAL CULTURE, LIFE HAS NO MEANING, THE AMERICAN DREAM IS FALSE! AWESOME

P.S - this is no personal insult. I hate a movie you like because it sucks and you get all angry. No need to :)

It is one sided because there is no single sympathetic figure or positive points to "materialistic culture". Everyone is greedy and lives a boring life. But in Fight Club you somehow get "spiritual" by beating other people. This is not real romanticism, this is "follow your dreams" "live an exciting life" "rebel against everyone". This dichotomy is stupid and irrelevant. If you want to read something interesting that discusses the same things in length and depth you might want to read Herman Hesse; but anyway I'd argue that both of these "themes" are the same, because wasting your time beating people is materialistic, stupid and exactly as meaningless as consumerism; but that's beside the point. We have a central character who for some reason suddenly turns from the most boring person in the world to a "totally cool guy". Of course, there is now slow descent into that, or any event that triggers that, or some interesting emotional arc: it just happens so that cool things can happen. This black & white thinking is typical for rebelling teenagers. The movie has really no ideas. That's like writing another 1984. The theme of 1984 is relevant, interesting but it's stupid to write something like it today, don't you think?

I read the quote: in a sense, it's true, but it's so dated and unoriginal that it's almost embarassing. WOW, AMERICA IS COMMERCIAL CULTURE, LIFE HAS NO MEANING, THE AMERICAN DREAM IS FALSE! AWESOME

P.S - this is no personal insult. I hate a movie you like because it sucks and you get all angry. No need to :)

i'm not taking it as a personal insult. i just think some of your comments are not well thought out. the movie very clearly depicts the different lifestyles, the different choices people are confronted with and how we go about repressing the wild side. the ending is ambiguous, but could easily be interpreted as to totally invalidate what you are saying. in one interpretation, the guy more or less completely abandons everything tyler was about, leaving you to believe he is going to go creeping back to his office and airplanes. i totally disagree that engaging in a fight club, or as you say beating other people, is meaningless. i think it has significant meaning that is elaborately spelled out during the movie. for example, the emasculation aspect i mentioned already. as for 1984, obviously not everything in the book became true, but there is quite a bit in the book that i find relevant to the present. i enjoy dystopic/apocalyptic stuff.

also, fight club is not just about american society. it is about civilization.

If you really think that fight clubs are an alternative to commercial culture I can't help you. Excitement and escape from routine is important but there are other and more reasnoable ways to get that. But seriously, again look what is at work here. Either a fight club, blow up the whole city, or have a boring office job. There's no middle ground. And consider just how unrealistic and stupid it is. This guy openly acknowledges in the beginning that he defines himself by the products he buys (that is incredibly stupid; people are scared to acknowledge such things), and then suddenly - for no reason at all!!!! - he becomes this crazy Tyler Durden. And the movie does not discuss this clash, it has lots of stupid scenes. I don't remember very well. But it seems to elaborate a lot on how to make bombs and all that kind of insignificant things completely irrelevant to anything. I won't keep arguing because it's useless. This movie just sucks period..

If you really think that fight clubs are an alternative to commercial culture I can't help you. Excitement and escape from routine is important but there are other and more reasnoable ways to get that. But seriously, again look what is at work here. Either a fight club, blow up the whole city, or have a boring office job. There's no middle ground. And consider just how unrealistic and stupid it is. This guy openly acknowledges in the beginning that he defines himself by the products he buys (that is incredibly stupid; people are scared to acknowledge such things), and then suddenly - for no reason at all!!!! - he becomes this crazy Tyler Durden. And the movie does not discuss this clash, it has lots of stupid scenes. I don't remember very well. But it seems to elaborate a lot on how to make bombs and all that kind of insignificant things completely irrelevant to anything. I won't keep arguing because it's useless. This movie just sucks period..

don't want to argue? but we're having so much fun.:kickass: It's not simply about excitement and escape. it's largely about civilization and an alternative to it. i understand what you are saying about a middle ground. maybe some type of nature retreat on the weekends from your office slavery. well, mabye that is what was implied by the ending, seeing how anti-tyler ed norton became. the ending is ambiguous, but could easily be seen as a middle ground. i don't see how you could miss that. just because a movie isn't the way you would have made it doesn't mean it is one sided. a movie doesn't have to spell out everything for you. you say for no reason at all ed norton becomes tyler. use a little imagination, as well as a close analysis of the film. the information for bomb making isn't even true in the film. they changed it, i guess because they are scared of having their precious buildings destroyed by rebellious teens. i say fuck yeah to rebellious teens. i think a lot of them are not misguided, just unable to find an effective outlet to change their alienation.

fight clubs are not an alternative. they are a stepping stone as the movie relentlessly explains.

So we have two extremes and then an ambiguous ending? That's not called middle ground...

The movie does not have to spell out anything for me? On the contrary this film has no subtext. All its "philosophy" is explicitly stated, and then there are all those "smart" and annoying one liners.

As far as I could understand he has multiple personalities or imaginary friend? So that completely materialistic person suddenly made up a self destructive psycho in his head. No, it doesn't work like that. But it doesn't matter! The important things in this movie are the instructions for the bomb, all those useless "cool" scenes I don't remember, speeches against commercial culture (that's just cliche... everyone is "anti-materialistic" by default), not human emotions and nothing of interest.

I'm not saying the movie has absolutely no point. It sucks, it's an awful movie, but yes, it makes a point. It just doesn't discuss this point, that this point is cliche and uninteresting, and that the point its supposed to make is secondary to the entertainment. Really if I remembered the film better I could criticize it better but I'm not ever gonna watch it again

So we have two extremes and then an ambiguous ending? That's not called middle ground...

The movie does not have to spell out anything for me? On the contrary this film has no subtext. All its "philosophy" is explicitly stated, and then there are all those "smart" and annoying one liners.

As far as I could understand he has multiple personalities or imaginary friend? So that completely materialistic person suddenly made up a self destructive psycho in his head. No, it doesn't work like that. But it doesn't matter! The important things in this movie are the instructions for the bomb, all those useless "cool" scenes I don't remember, speeches against commercial culture (that's just cliche... everyone is "anti-materialistic" by default), not human emotions and nothing of interest.

I'm not saying the movie has absolutely no point. It sucks, it's an awful movie, but yes, it makes a point. It just doesn't discuss this point, that this point is cliche and uninteresting, and that the point its supposed to make is secondary to the entertainment. Really if I remembered the film better I could criticize it better but I'm not ever gonna watch it again

it's middle ground enough if you don't need everything spelled out for you. and be honest, you speak of two extremes as if these are unrealistic depictions of society. most people are boring fucks enslaved to possessions. being against capitalism and civilization is not cliche. it's subversive and very few people are subversive to this point. cliche implies common. how many nihilstic anarcho-primitivists ala tyler are there in the world? me and a few others. :lol:

I'm just going to interrupt the two of you for a quick moment.....

This is the BEST argument about a movie I have ever seen (or read!!)

If you guys were on T.V. debating this I would watch!! (Seriously!!)

Sorry for the interuption..... Please continue:kickass:

One could call them philosophical quotes, but a lot of philosophy is uncritical bullshit. What are your favorite movie quotes that deal with themes loosely categorized as Critical Theory? Here are some i like. In addition to/instead of quotes, if any quote strikes your fancy or pisses you off, tell us what you think about it.

The Devil's Advocate
John Milton: Let me give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man instincts. He gives you this extraordinary gift, and then what does He do, I swear for His own amusement, his own private, cosmic gag reel, He sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time. Look but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, don't swallow. Ahaha. And while you're jumpin' from one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughin' His sick, fuckin' ass off! He's a tight-ass! He's a SADIST! He's an absentee landlord! Worship that? NEVER!

Entombed made a song "Bringer of Light" with lyrics straight from that quote from the album "Morning Star" (2001).

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/entombed/morningstar.html#3

Love this thread! Very big fan of the Good Will Hunting quotes. I thought that movie was great but I don't agree with the ending.

"Good and evil were invented by people who were stuck in scenes!" -- Bob Dylan, I'm Not There

Not a movie, but I love it and the topic has been brought up...

South Park

Stan: Why? Kenny's my friend. Why can't God take someone else's friend?

Chef: Stan, sometimes God takes those closest to us because it makes him feel better about himself. He is a very vengeful God, Stan. He's all pissed off about something we did thousands of years ago. He just can't get over it, so he doesn't care who he takes. Children, puppies, it doesn't matter to him, as long as it makes us sad. Do you understand?

Stan: Why does God give us anything at all?

Chef: Look at it this way. If you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away. If you never give it a lollipop to begin with, then you would have nothin' to cry about. That's like God, who gives us life and love and help just so that he can tear it all away and make us cry, so he can drink the sweet milk of our tears. You see, it's our tears, Stan, that give God his great power.

Love this thread! Very big fan of the Good Will Hunting quotes. I thought that movie was great but I don't agree with the ending.

"Good and evil were invented by people who were stuck in scenes!" -- Bob Dylan, I'm Not There

Not a movie, but I love it and the topic has been brought up...

South Park

Stan: Why? Kenny's my friend. Why can't God take someone else's friend?

Chef: Stan, sometimes God takes those closest to us because it makes him feel better about himself. He is a very vengeful God, Stan. He's all pissed off about something we did thousands of years ago. He just can't get over it, so he doesn't care who he takes. Children, puppies, it doesn't matter to him, as long as it makes us sad. Do you understand?

Stan: Why does God give us anything at all?

Chef: Look at it this way. If you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away. If you never give it a lollipop to begin with, then you would have nothin' to cry about. That's like God, who gives us life and love and help just so that he can tear it all away and make us cry, so he can drink the sweet milk of our tears. You see, it's our tears, Stan, that give God his great power.

:lol: that south park quote is great. what do you mean by not agreeing with the ending of good will hunting? do you think they should have made a better ending?

:lol: that south park quote is great. what do you mean by not agreeing with the ending of good will hunting? do you think they should have made a better ending?

Well... I don't think it was a bad ending. But it's a kind of moralistic ending. Will already gave his reasons for not going to college, and they were fool-proof, reliable reasons. I feel like in the end he was duped by society's pre-occupation with hoping for something beyond logic, so despite his good reasons to not going, he still does it. I don't personally agree with that message.

Well... I don't think it was a bad ending. But it's a kind of moralistic ending. Will already gave his reasons for not going to college, and they were fool-proof, reliable reasons. I feel like in the end he was duped by society's pre-occupation with hoping for something beyond logic, so despite his good reasons to not going, he still does it. I don't personally agree with that message.

yeah, i understand. i graduated from college, dropped out half way through but eventually finished. I wouldn't have gone in the first place out of high school if i thought there were better options then making hoagies for the rest of my life or going to some stupid manual labor training school. none of that appealed to me, so i figured fuck it, i'll go to college. i dropped out of graduate school after 2 weeks and doubt i'll go back. too much money and too much bullshit, but it's mostly the bullshit factor of how universities work, which leads to me saying "why the fuck am i paying so much money for bullshit!" anyway, that's my little story. good will hunting is a very personal movie for me. :cry::lol:

this reminds me of something george carlin once said. "You always hear about how society has two main goals: education and creating jobs. Great. Two things no one wants to do. Go to school and go to work." :lol:

i haven't seen good will hunting in a while. does he actually say he was going to college? i thought he was going to meet up with his girlfriend.