Critique my debut singles mix

limelamp

New Metal Member
Sep 7, 2013
Hey ppl,

lurker here :p

I'd like to hear opinions on this mix. It's too late for making adjustments since it's already out but i'd like to improve on this for the next time I mix something.

if you have any questions let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phil_ocean
What model is your acoustic? Sounds friggin' awesome!

It's a EBG808A by a australian company called Maton. More of a fingerstyle guitar, small bodied with tight bass response. It also has a built-in pickup system which I haven't used yet, but I've heard good things about it.
Neck has been a little sticky lately and wiping with damp fabric didn't help but overall I like this guitar a lot!

sounds friggin good man. you got alot of elements goin on in the mix and they are all playing well together. sounds really good. if i had to pick something to critique i would say the drums could pop a bit more. but honestly thats me looking for a problem. could you tell me what you think of this mix?

Hey, thanks!

First thing I noticed is that the kick has a lot of stuff going on around 200hz and I dig that kind of chest punchy tones in rock music but I would take some of that out in since the kick is doing so much fast stuff.
Secondly I would pull that hi-hat level close mic level down a bit and start bringing the room mics in more. Then again I like roomy drum tones and some people don't but right now even the cymbals sound twodimensional.
Lastly I would try to get the bassguitar more upfront with the kicks.
Bonus: how high are you cutting the low end on guitars? the guitars are pretty cold right now.

The guitars on Shark Talon seem too fizzy for my tastes and i would want to hear a bit more bass too, its kinda buried and why you want to bury such a powerful instrument like bass? :/

thanks for the feedback guys. some of these issues are a result of my less than optimal recording setup. But alot of it is stuff i can work on and will help my future mixes. I've been a musician for a long time but have only recently got into doin my own full on production. This is the first metal/rock song i've done on my own from the ground up.

Reactions: Phil_ocean
Hey limelamp, great stuff! I really like the snare sound on "Arrival". Can you tell what did you use on the drums?