Cubase drum editor help needed

rvs0002

Metal from the Heartland
Jun 28, 2007
Topeka, KS
www.johnnylokkeband.com
Hi Guys:
Did a search and even read the manual (how un-manly is that?), and couldn't find any help, so maybe one of you can help me. I am new to using the drum editor, and so I started with a simple beat, and got my first measure the way I wanted it. I copied and pasted that one 3 more times thinking I could just go in and edit those and play around. My problem is that I can only view and edit just the measure I select...the rest of my measures are invisible (even though when listening back I can hear the drums playing). So to edit the next measure, I have to close the drum editor, right click on it, and open the drum editor again. Surely there is a way I can see and edit the whole song at once, eh? Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Sorry for being an idiot, I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing.

I'd have to make a video...it's hard to explain but yes, you are doing it wrong man. You need to stretch the MIDI block out, don't make a bunch of different ones.

Two hours until I'm off work, I can have a video up 1-hour after that.

~006

thats the way it is set up.... hold down the shift button and hightlight all the phrases and see if that helps you...i am not at home right now but i think that may help.

I'd have to make a video...it's hard to explain but yes, you are doing it wrong man. You need to stretch the MIDI block out, don't make a bunch of different ones.

Two hours until I'm off work, I can have a video up 1-hour after that.

~006
Dude, that is very cool of you, but don't go to all that trouble for me. I'll figure it out eventually. I knew it was something I was doing wrong. This is why this is such a cool place though! No one else would make an offer like that! :kickass::kickass::kickass:

thats the way it is set up.... hold down the shift button and hightlight all the phrases and see if that helps you...i am not at home right now but i think that may help.
Tried that before I posted, but no go. Thanks anyway, I appreciate it.

Just stretch out the midi block for as many bars as you like, just like 006 said.
The midi block being the sequence on the drum track in the arrange window.

You could also glue together each sequence so that you have a big one :)

Wasn't a big deal for me to make, took like 5 minutes + however long to upload to YouTube. :)

~006

Last edited by a moderator:
006:

One more question now that you've got me up and running. Is there a way to randomize my velocities all at once or do I have to adjust each individual hit? I've been searching on the Cubase.net forum for about an hour and can't find the answer. From the manual it looks like I can using the VELOCITY SHIFT, but I can't seem to find it. Seems like it should be in the "midi modifiers", but I'm wondering if that part of the manual is referring to Cubase 4, whereas I have Studio 4.

Not a big deal doing it one hit at a time, but if there is an easier way I'm all for it.

Thanks again for the killer video...you had me up and running smoothly in minutes after I was ready to throw the monitor at the freaking wall earlier today.

Studio 4 and both Competitive Upgrade and Academic are the same program, whereas Studio/Acad/CompUp 4 is different from the full Cubase 4, unfortunately. There isn't really a function for what you are referring to, I'm sorry to say. Unless it is something I don't know about, I don't know everything about Cubase :)

Maybe somebody else would know? Glad to help with the Drum Editor thing, sorry I'm not able to answer your other question though. I have always just adjusted all of the velocities manually. I wouldn't really trust software to do a human's job anyway :p

~006

Mmmm...
I'd just glue the containers together. Faster.

Not really, since he would still have to create multiple "containers", or MIDI Events - one for each measure...would be faster to quickly draw several measures of a blank MIDI Event on the timeline in one single step. In the situation he *was* having, yes...but in the future if he starts off doing what I describe in the video, which is make one big MIDI Event and do everything within that, he will save time. I'm all about efficiency within a DAW. In fact, it sucks I had to hold the camera because I normally am using a ton of shortcuts and hotkeys in Cubase.

~006

Well, my way of doing things is:
1 create a container of whatever length is needed. Usually 2 measures.
2 Programm the basic pattern.
3 Ctrl+D (duplicate the selected container)
4 Edit the duplicated one if needed.
And so on.
If I need to see the whole picture, I'd glue them, like I said.
It works really faster for me. Not saying it's the best method tho but
I can programm a song prettty quickly I think.

Ah, I see how you do it now. Essentially it's about the same then...instead of duplicating a few measures of the MIDI Event, I just copy and paste the drum pattern within a large MIDI Event that spans a few minutes on the timeline.

~006