Cubase MIDI help required

Nebulous

Daniel
Dec 14, 2003
Brookfield, VIC, Australia
Hi guys

I've never really been a MIDI user before. The last time I had a bit of a play around with MIDI was about 2 years ago. I've tried to demo a track for a friend, which uses MIDI drums and various recorded tracks. I have two problems, either one being solved will assist me here:
1. When I use the "Microsoft GS WavetableSW Synth" to play the drum tracks, all is fine, untill I export the tracks- the MIDI drums are not in the audio mixdown.
2. If I try to set LM7 to sample the MIDI data, it goes out of sync to the tempo/ MIDI data. This also happened when I tried to use another VST instrument for the bass track.

Could anyone help here? It's probably only something really simple and small that will fix it, but been a MIDI n00b, I've overlooked it.

FWIW, I have some string synths running off Embracer and they sync up fine and play through the mixdown.

Thanks

I guess your using Cubase???? How are you creating the midi data (controller or mouse clicking)...When exporting from where to where ?

1. One thing you have to remember when exporting any audio mixdown in Cubase, your outputs all have to be the same. For instance you cant have your music and vox all going to one buss and have your synths go to another ie "Microsoft GS WavetableSW Synth". Route the wavetable to where all of your other outputs are mixed down too, then you will here it when you export your project.

2. It sounds like a latency issue. Microsofts GS Wavetable isnt the fastest audio engine for synths. Open up the properties of the Wavetable and set your latency as low as you can without artifacts happening.

I guess your using Cubase???? How are you creating the midi data (controller or mouse clicking)...When exporting from where to where ?

Yeah, Cubase. The MIDI data was imported from Guitar Pro. Exporting from the session to the "final mixdown"/ mp3/ wav

1. One thing you have to remember when exporting any audio mixdown in Cubase, your outputs all have to be the same. For instance you cant have your music and vox all going to one buss and have your synths go to another ie "Microsoft GS WavetableSW Synth". Route the wavetable to where all of your other outputs are mixed down too, then you will here it when you export your project.

2. It sounds like a latency issue. Microsofts GS Wavetable isnt the fastest audio engine for synths. Open up the properties of the Wavetable and set your latency as low as you can without artifacts happening.

I tried finding where the GS has it's output set, but couldn't find it.
As for it being a latency issue, it isn't the GS that's creating the off timing, it's when I try to use a VST instrument (LM7 in this case) to sample the MIDI that the problem is created.

I'll try having another look through the settings.

Thanks dudes.

Yeah, Cubase. The MIDI data was imported from Guitar Pro. Exporting from the session to the "final mixdown"/ mp3/ wav

So what it looks like is that you are exporting audio data not midi data...for the VST instruments to play it needs to read MIDI data, try to export the MIDI data and you should get several tracks of MIDI data ( what ever tracks set up in GP will come across as a MIDI channel) So that is done open up Cubase and import MIDI file, chose the one you just exported from GP and find the drums or whatever you what to assign a VST to and you should be good to go...Hopefully this helps

I'm not sure if this will work, but guitar pro adds a whole heap of crap to the header of the midi file that isn't always compatible with vsti's. To fix this, click on the first chunk of midi data of a midi track in the editor window (so it puts a red box around it). Right click on it and goto MIDI->Open List Editor. Now you should see a whole heap of entries named something like ...controller, program change, pitch bend, note etc... Highlight and delete all the entries up until the first note entry. Do that for each midi track you import from Guitar Pro. Then try a vsti on it, maybe it will fix it, maybe it won't but it's worth a shot.

Also,

There is no way to route/export the microsoft wavetable synth that i know of. You might notice that if you have a microsoft wavetable instrument solo'd there will be no signal appearing on the 2bus.

You will have to use vsti's on everything. I think you will find it probably sounds like the microsoft wavetable is in sync, but it's actually not, if there was any audio recorded in parallel with the ms wavetable, then it will all be out of sync together, making any vsti's sound like they are the ones out of sync. Check that the audio is lining up with the bars/beats perfectly in the timeline.

SpewChunks, you seem to be on the right track. That last post is pretty much what's happening. If that's the case I'll have a look at the audio and just readjust it in to line up with the midi data after the VST has been added.

Thanks for that. I really wish there was alot less screwing around with this, I mean, it's MIDI ffs :p