Cultures

it's real.

we do wash our hands before every meal and the correct way to eat while sharing the plate, is to stick to your own side.

If you stick to one side, what is so culture shocking about a separate plate?

if you're trying to be funny, try again

You know it is funny for someone to eat off a huge ass.

wrong, not before food we don't do that
the prayers you're talking about are the 5 prayers per day, they have nothing to do with food

So having to stop five times a day for prayer is fine but stopping for one before dinner is culture shock? Look, I don't pray at all but if the family I am dining with wants to say a pray or sing then I bow my head in respect.

wrong again, the one's you're referring to are very old school, in fact almost every household has a toilet, never lived in a home that doesn't
unless off course you're talking about KSA as i don't represent them, or lived there

I don't know what KSA is. I can tell you that in Jordan there are what I called poop shoots that you had to squat over to shit. I notice you did not even try to lie about washing your hands. I know you can't with no sink.

the point of this thread was to share on some experiences that i've had, some might call it "culture shock" so if you don't like to discuss about it, leave the thread

Discussing different cultures is fine but you're not doing that. You are just bitching about one and praising another.

the thread is old, brought it up for a new point. i've been working on my english since then

and no don't expect me to be perfect at it, as it's not my first language

thanks for playing along tho.

Well your grammer has improved. Well done.

ok, here we go, im going to compare between the countries that i lived (Dubai.UAE, and Jordan) in to north amrica.

Food:

first of all, we usually eat with our hands, not all types of food tho, only the ones that includes rice and meat usualy.
so i know indians eat with there hands to, but if u noticed they use only finger, meanwhile, we use our full hand (more barbarian if u can say).
most of u guys will find that werid, dont know y, its the best feeling to be sitting on the ground eating with friends from one huge ass plate filled with rice and meat (could be chiken to). i say, the best spoon that an arab can get is his hand m/ enough said
what i have noticed in north america is that, they find it weird and disgusting to do that. and i actually lived with north amrican family, and sorry guys but the way u guys eat, is just stupid (no offence). when i sat down in the tabel, first of all i havent seen any huge ass plates, which made me think, how the hell do they get full, then all i can hear is the word "pass", i shit u not guys for 25 mins and im passing plates, everytime i try to put somthin in my mouth, i hear a word pass and a plate in my face, and they take lil of everything. and the family that i lived with, they used to sing before eating as if its praying. while me staring at the food woundring if it will be enough for me.

now for fastfood, in dubai we got those cheap ass resturants (cafteria) that helps a lot wen ur broke. in jordan u got those cheap ass traditional food like falafel or shawermah (i think few of u guys know it). however in canada, the fast food is fuckin expensive, now i use to get XL cheese pizza for 10$ which was a really good deal, but still its 10$, in my county i can feed a fuckin army with falafel in those 10$.

Bathrooms (restrooms):

i know its stupid to mention it, but i just wanted to point out somthin.
north america, USE THE FUCKIN WATER TO WIPE UR ASS
like fuck, in jordan and dubai we actually have a short pipe, that reachs ur ass, and take away the shit, or whatever. but in north america, all they use is the fuckin tissues, how fuckin disgusting is that.

Greetings:

first of all, north america, whats wrong with guys kissing other guys on the checks?????
its not weird/gay or whatever its a normal thing. like fuck, once when i was in canada, i was sitting with my canadaian friends, and one middel eastren dude came to say hi, we kissed on the checks and all that, but when hes gone, everyone started to look at me in a weird way. like wtf? thats how we kiss and greet, it doesnt mean we are gay. once i accidently tried to greet a canadaian dude in our way, i almost got labeled as gay. what would u do if i told u that in dubai they touch each others nosies while shacking hands as greetings, what would i be labeled by then? noise fitish? or in india they touch each others feet, does that make them foot fetish??
plus i noticed anther thing, after i relized that im suppose to shake hands only, i noticed that, if u see the same person over and over again everyday, u wont shake anymore :S:S?? that got me confused, once after seeing a guy for a week, i raised my hand, and i stood there for almost a min for him to noticed that im trying to shake hands.:erk:

thats all i can think of now, i said all that, cuz when i moved to canada, i got fuck up at first, since i dont know the culture and all that,, so share urs, so i could know how do u guys think, u never know when will i move to ur country.

and point out more points if u got m/ cheers:kickass:

havent read the whole thread but it sounds awesome, dude are you arabic?
Im not for the idea of using only hands to eat EVERYTHING but it fits better with certain food actually better than using any other tools.
about the restroom thingy, it is true, i dont stand spending the whole day walking around with some shits in my fucking ass hahah and it pisses me off when i am in a hotel whose rooms arent eaquiped with that bidet or watever you call it.
Personally, i dont wanna create or comfirm to any boudries that my cultural background creates, i just learn things that i think they are good to improve my life :headbang:

If you stick to one side, what is so culture shocking about a separate plate?
you didn't get it, i meant we have the main food on a big plate and people have their own plates.
over here you have you're own plate, and many other small ones that contain the main food, get it?
and about sharing and eating with hands, i was referring for the traditional food, yes we do share the same plate all of us and we do wash our hands, and we stick to our side, however if you're done with your side you can go deeper.
here's kinda messy pic, but you'll get the idea
1489326763_161a0ca294.jpg

and don't start shit about germs, we all get clean before we dig in

PS: if anyone of you is wondering what are they eating, here you go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansaf
So having to stop five times a day for prayer is fine but stopping for one before dinner is culture shock? Look, I don't pray at all but if the family I am dining with wants to say a pray or sing then I bow my head in respect.
you're connecting to separate things, yes the Islam religion has 5 prayers but what does that have to do with food?
and yeah singing before eating was a culture shock for me
and it's not like i was disrespecting them and started to eat before them.
no, i waited till they're done with their thing then jumped in

I don't know what KSA is. I can tell you that in Jordan there are what I called poop shoots that you had to squat over to shit. I notice you did not even try to lie about washing your hands. I know you can't with no sink.

KSA is Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and like i said the ones you're referring to are very old school and i never lived in house where it doesn't have a sink or toilet
reason i mentioned KSA cause i believe they still use it, but what is this bullshit without a sink?

Discussing different cultures is fine but you're not doing that. You are just bitching about one and praising another.
you probably got my point wrong, i meant to share ideas and learn about different cultures, i might have approached it in a wrong way, or grammar didn't help me back then

Well your grammer has improved. Well done.

thank you

hope i explained myself better :)

While the bidets still freak me out... a wise man once said to me, "When you get shit on your hands, you don't just rub it off with dry paper, do you?"

Haha, that's a good one, but it got me thinking, you don't eat with your ass, do you?

I do agree that a lot of American's are like this, but I also feel that it really depends on where in the US you are. Much how different part of the world have different culture, different parts of the US have different ones too. I lived in all but the Rocky Mountain Region and The West Coast and there is a very significant difference. Where I am now(The Northeast) people in general are pretty rude, everything here is VERY fast paced and no one really has time for anything, it's all rush rush. The guest thing is very similar to how you described it too.

It is kind of funny when you think about how different people are depending on what part of the United States they're from. Fly for more than an hour in any direction in the US and you'll feel like you're in a different country with the way the locals act, which is why it always kind of baffles me when people think stereotypes of Americans as a whole hold much truth at all. On the other hand it's almost scary how accurate some regional stereotypes can be in the US.

About a year back, a buddy of mine had a family friend visiting up here in Boston from Georgia. We took her through the city, showed her around, just killed a day in Boston like we normally would anytime we're there. Come to find out, the girl didn't like me one bit, she thought I was some kind of arrogant douche bag for not doing things like calling people "Sir" and "Ma'am" or saying "Hi" to strangers who might have been standing close by. She finally called me out on it and went on a big rant about how embarrassed she was to be out in public with someone so rude. This was after I took a picture for a couple tourists and when they said thank you I just said "No problem" and handed the camera back to them and kept on my way. We ended up resolving our differences after she spent another few days here and realized it's just a less friendly more fast paced environment in the North. She apologized and we ended up having a great time for the rest of her stay. Just goes to show how different cultures can be even inside the same country.

I'm assuming this is real and not a joke.

You seriously don't think any germs are being spread if you eat from the same plate with your hands.

Why would anyone take offense to being called stupid?

I know it may sound wierd but we don't use "ass plates" in America.

Are you serious. Go to any Arab country and there are prayers being sang all day long through loud speakers. We won't even go into the kneeling and what not. Plus it sounds like a family is letting you stay with them and you're just bitching about them.

I've got no use for fast food.

You also have no toilet. You have to squat over a hole to take a dump. You have no sink to wash your hands and nothing to wipe away the shit water dripping down your legs. So please come eat off a huge ass (a completely appropriate adjective for it now that I think of it) plate with your ass hands.

This does not make you gay.

Still not gay.

Gaydar just got a blip. If you are seeing a guy and don't know you are gay then you are very confused.

Ok lets first start with the obvious. You came to another country and all you can do is bitch about it. I don't live in Canada but I have visited there and can think of many things I like there. It is one of the cleanest countries I have visited. The landscapes are truely breath taking. The people seemed warm and welcoming. I'm sure there were things I did not like but nothing stands out to me. But the one thing I really like about Canada is they don't take you prisoner. If you hate it so bad, leave.

One more thing, use a spell and grammer checker. There has to be a cheap one you can download. I mean what is up with all the colons and commas? I could see you leaving one out or something but adding an extra twenty is just to much.

There are not enough facepalm JPEGs on the internet to express my concern (read: disgust) for you and your post.

Man, ive been in america all my life, and i think youre right about the eating!

eating from a huge plate with your hands sounds baddazz as long as you wash up afterwards :D

and the toilets are like a little-known myth over here, toilet paper sucks because you run out at the worst possible times, that ass cleanser doo hickey sounds like something shipped personally from valhalla by Odin himself!

americas a soccer-moms country, they do everything here based on the common decision, even if they have no idea if its good for them or not.

i dont fit in here at all! i wanna go to sweden or canada!

last note: 10$ for an XL pizza?!?! that is CHEEEAAAp! its like 18-22 $ over here lol

Man, ive been in america all my life, and i think youre right about the eating!

eating from a huge plate with your hands sounds baddazz as long as you wash up afterwards :D

and the toilets are like a little-known myth over here, toilet paper sucks because you run out at the worst possible times, that ass cleanser doo hickey sounds like something shipped personally from valhalla by Odin himself!

americas a soccer-moms country, they do everything here based on the common decision, even if they have no idea if its good for them or not.

i dont fit in here at all! i wanna go to sweden or canada!

last note: 10$ for an XL pizza?!?! that is CHEEEAAAp! its like 18-22 $ over here lol

emigrating to Canada is quite simple so get going

So in other words we can never get along and intolerance and bigotry will forever hold sway?

Hopefully not, but the toilet paper/water debate is a good example of how taking a bit of both sides does not necessarily make for a better solution. Then theres also the fact that being different doesnt always make you useful. Theres a great pic of a bent fork to illustrate this but I can't find it:mad: