Cultures

I have a question about the whole shooting of water in ones ass. Do you dry or do you just pull your pants up and get your pants wet?

I'm not so sure I agree with a lot of the stereotypes around this thread, it depends so much from person to person, but whatever.

I have a question about the whole shooting of water in ones ass. Do you dry or do you just pull your pants up and get your pants wet?

I'm not so sure I agree with a lot of the stereotypes around this thread, it depends so much from person to person, but whatever.

of course, lots of stereotypes but many of them are really true :/ you can't just judge and entire culture based on stereotypes or whatever, at least i just said stuff from my point of view

I dunno if this falls under customs but one wierd thing I noticed they do here in Texas. People on thier birthdays will like pin a dollar to thier shirt,and others will come up and be like "Happy Birthday" and give em a dollar....freaked me out when I first moved here. I just wonder if people when thier short on cash will just be like fuck it I'll pretend todays my birthday lol

Wow its really interesting to hear what others have experienced and what others are telling.

I'm from North Dakota, USA-- the people are primarily Scandinavian, in my town there are VERY few others (in fact I had never met a non-white person face-to-face until I was 12 and we vacationed at an amusement park). Our culture is typical U.S but I have come to notice that our dinner table habits are not like what people here are saying. Growing up in my house, dinner table was very strict, Children are seen and not heard, you are always very polite and pass things and say nothing more than "please" and "thank you". As a child, when you are finished eating you ask parents for permission to leave the table and they say yes or no depending on whether or not you ate your vegetables :p.

As for the sharing of food with guests/eating in front of them-- thats a HUGE no-no. My mother would taught me always to offer/share with guests--especially drinks (alcoholic or non). I would like to think of myself as a good hostess :)

And something I have wondered since I started reading this thread-- is it usual in other cultures to keep someone outside the front door on the front porch/stoop/deck or whatever you have, when someone comes knocking? Or do you invite them in? It seems rather common in the USA at least, to invite good friends and family in, but if you can sense that its going to be a short visit--keep it on the porch.

why dig up a 14 month old thread?

I noticed something recently and wanted to talk about it, and i didn't bother to do another thread!

anyway

Middle name:

what's up with that??? did you guys know that in north america the parents give the middle name??

i was very surprised and didn't make any sense to me

the way it works in middle east, the middle name is your fathers name ALWAYS, so we basically take our fathers name hence we all got long ass name

mine is
Ahmed Mohd Jihad Hamdan Ibrahim Hamdan Dahleh
that's my name, my fathers, my grandfather, my father's grandfather, my grandgrandfather etc.. then last name

i know i have a longer name but i just didn't bother to memorize it

anyhow over here apparently when the father says, my son will carry my name he meant by the last name.

How is it in Europe? or other places?

Here in Europe you just get your father's last name. Although I think your parents can opt to give their child the mother's last name. Not sure how all of this works exactly for unmarried people getting a child. Women get the same last name as the man they marry, although here too I think they can opt to both take the woman's last name. Not sure on that though.

As for the middle names, you only get those if you're baptised and there's no real rule on who you're named after. I was baptised because my father's a christian, and I was named after my grandfathers. Resulting in the ridiculously long official first names of Robertus Cornelis Franciscus. But I only respond to Robin :p

Here in Quebec, with a large catholic demographic, most people are baptised and have some kind of bible middle name(like mary or joseph or something) and then their father's family name. Most wives will change their family name to their husbands, but this is not as widespread as it used to be, apparently. Also, since the majority of the population is fairly catholic, most children are born of a married couple.

My parents, being from out west (British Columbia) found all the conventions out here a bit strange so I have my mothers maiden name (which she still uses) as my last name, but I also have my fathers family name as a middle name. All this makes for confusion every time someone asks me for my fathers or mothers name :p....A good thing about it is that it's sort of a built in advance warning system for telemarketers, If they ask for Mr. (mymomslastname) or Mrs. (mydadslastname).

I think one of the reasons for me having my mothers family name is that my uncle on my mothers side probably wont have any kids so my sister and I are supposed to 'carry on the name'....whereas on my dads side there are already several kids in my generation.

Oh and just to make things more confusing for the unwary, my first name is more common as a last name around here, lol.

My name is William Horta Rufino da silva
Being, Horta = part of my moms name,
Rufino da silva part of my dads name.....
my dad's name is João Rufino da Silva and my mom's is Angela Marcia Horta da Silva, and my mom got my dads last name "silva" on the marriage

Here in Belgium it's usually the first names of the godfather and godmother (chosen by your parents at your baptism) that go as middle names

I have a middle name, all my sons do, not a single one of us have been baptized. In my family, the oldest son gets the father's name as his middle name, which is why I'm Kristian George, my oldest is Lars Kristian. But everyone else gets whatever seems good, for a middle name. :)

My middle name is William, and as far as I know no one in my family also has that name, what I object to is having a fucking double barelled surname. They are not metal.

EDIT: He says while listening to Cole Porter.

For names, I took my dad's last name and have the same name as my Grandfather. William Henry Neale IV or XIII depending on how one counts. I'm the seventh Will on my Dad's side of the family and sixth on my mom's, but I'm only the fourth with the middle name Henry. Also, I took on a second middle name, Barnum, since it was the last name of a family on my mom's side, but then everyone with the last name died or was married, so I just stuck the Barnum part in the middle, but I guess that's weird for any culture.

Naming conventions do tend to be quite weird from place to place.

My own name being, David Vincent John Foley.
David: Has no real family history from what I know, but is more so biblical.
Vincent: Is my dads name, I find it odd that I got his name, since I am the youngest of 3 guys in the family.
John: My grandfather on my fathers side. I took this name myself at my confirmation when I was...11/12...or something.
Foley: My dads family name.

Actually, considering naming conventions, how to people call you eg "Hey *yourname* come over here", would be interesting to know how it is in other places
For myself most people I know that are of my age, will call me by my surname Foley, and I rarely if ever answer to David. My family call me Dave and the people I grew up with call me Dáithí (Irish for David)

In my own experience, it seems that the oldest gets the first name of the father as the middle name. But it may most likely vary from place to place anyway, in so far as that none of the children will have the first name of either parent as their middle name.

Oddly, a guy I grew up with, his middle name was Mary...his mothers first name.

My oldest brother's middle name is the same as our dad's. My first and middle name were just chosen at random by my parents. My last name is Madsen.... I am 25% Danish. The Danish guy from whom I inherited the name came to the U.S. in the 1870's from Vejle. His wife was from Norway... I don't know what that has to do with culture.

I think the U.S. has a very mild or weak culture (No cultural identity). I have visited Spain, and the culture was quite interesting. The kissing on the cheek thing was universal, there were bidets, and there was a shit ton of partying, celebrating, and drinking. Also, the architecture there kicks ass compared to the U.S.

I'm assuming this is real and not a joke.
ok, here we go, im going to compare between the countries that i lived (Dubai.UAE, and Jordan) in to north amrica.

Food:

first of all, we usually eat with our hands, not all types of food tho, only the ones that includes rice and meat usualy.
so i know indians eat with there hands to, but if u noticed they use only finger, meanwhile, we use our full hand (more barbarian if u can say).
most of u guys will find that werid, dont know y, its the best feeling to be sitting on the ground eating with friends from one huge ass plate filled with rice and meat (could be chiken to). i say, the best spoon that an arab can get is his hand m/ enough said

You seriously don't think any germs are being spread if you eat from the same plate with your hands.

what i have noticed in north america is that, they find it weird and disgusting to do that. and i actually lived with north amrican family, and sorry guys but the way u guys eat, is just stupid (no offence).

Why would anyone take offense to being called stupid?

when i sat down in the tabel, first of all i havent seen any huge ass plates, which made me think, how the hell do they get full, then all i can hear is the word "pass", i shit u not guys for 25 mins and im passing plates, everytime i try to put somthin in my mouth, i hear a word pass and a plate in my face, and they take lil of everything.

I know it may sound wierd but we don't use "ass plates" in America.

and the family that i lived with, they used to sing before eating as if its praying. while me staring at the food woundring if it will be enough for me.

Are you serious. Go to any Arab country and there are prayers being sang all day long through loud speakers. We won't even go into the kneeling and what not. Plus it sounds like a family is letting you stay with them and you're just bitching about them.

now for fastfood, in dubai we got those cheap ass resturants (cafteria) that helps a lot wen ur broke. in jordan u got those cheap ass traditional food like falafel or shawermah (i think few of u guys know it). however in canada, the fast food is fuckin expensive, now i use to get XL cheese pizza for 10$ which was a really good deal, but still its 10$, in my county i can feed a fuckin army with falafel in those 10$.

I've got no use for fast food.

Bathrooms (restrooms):

i know its stupid to mention it, but i just wanted to point out somthin.
north america, USE THE FUCKIN WATER TO WIPE UR ASS
like fuck, in jordan and dubai we actually have a short pipe, that reachs ur ass, and take away the shit, or whatever. but in north america, all they use is the fuckin tissues, how fuckin disgusting is that.

You also have no toilet. You have to squat over a hole to take a dump. You have no sink to wash your hands and nothing to wipe away the shit water dripping down your legs. So please come eat off a huge ass (a completely appropriate adjective for it now that I think of it) plate with your ass hands.

Greetings:

first of all, north america, whats wrong with guys kissing other guys on the checks?????
its not weird/gay or whatever its a normal thing. like fuck, once when i was in canada, i was sitting with my canadaian friends, and one middel eastren dude came to say hi, we kissed on the checks and all that, but when hes gone, everyone started to look at me in a weird way. like wtf? thats how we kiss and greet, it doesnt mean we are gay. once i accidently tried to greet a canadaian dude in our way, i almost got labeled as gay. what would u do if i told u that in dubai they touch each others nosies while shacking hands as greetings, what would i be labeled by then? noise fitish? or in india they touch each others feet, does that make them foot fetish??

This does not make you gay.

plus i noticed anther thing, after i relized that im suppose to shake hands only, i noticed that, if u see the same person over and over again everyday, u wont shake anymore :S:S?? that got me confused,

Still not gay.

once after seeing a guy for a week,

Gaydar just got a blip. If you are seeing a guy and don't know you are gay then you are very confused.

i raised my hand, and i stood there for almost a min for him to noticed that im trying to shake hands.:erk:

thats all i can think of now, i said all that, cuz when i moved to canada, i got fuck up at first, since i dont know the culture and all that,, so share urs, so i could know how do u guys think, u never know when will i move to ur country.

and point out more points if u got m/ cheers:kickass:

Ok lets first start with the obvious. You came to another country and all you can do is bitch about it. I don't live in Canada but I have visited there and can think of many things I like there. It is one of the cleanest countries I have visited. The landscapes are truely breath taking. The people seemed warm and welcoming. I'm sure there were things I did not like but nothing stands out to me. But the one thing I really like about Canada is they don't take you prisoner. If you hate it so bad, leave.

One more thing, use a spell and grammer checker. There has to be a cheap one you can download. I mean what is up with all the colons and commas? I could see you leaving one out or something but adding an extra twenty is just to much.

I'm assuming this is real and not a joke.
it's real.

You seriously don't think any germs are being spread if you eat from the same plate with your hands.
we do wash our hands before every meal and the correct way to eat while sharing the plate, is to stick to your own side.

I know it may sound wierd but we don't use "ass plates" in America.

if you're trying to be funny, try again

Are you serious. Go to any Arab country and there are prayers being sang all day long through loud speakers. We won't even go into the kneeling and what not. Plus it sounds like a family is letting you stay with them and you're just bitching about them.

wrong, not before food we don't do that
the prayers you're talking about are the 5 prayers per day, they have nothing to do with food

You also have no toilet. You have to squat over a hole to take a dump. You have no sink to wash your hands and nothing to wipe away the shit water dripping down your legs. So please come eat off a huge ass (a completely appropriate adjective for it now that I think of it) plate with your ass hands.
wrong again, the one's you're referring to are very old school, in fact almost every household has a toilet, never lived in a home that doesn't
unless off course you're talking about KSA as i don't represent them, or lived there

Ok lets first start with the obvious. You came to another country and all you can do is bitch about it. I don't live in Canada but I have visited there and can think of many things I like there. It is one of the cleanest countries I have visited. The landscapes are truely breath taking. The people seemed warm and welcoming. I'm sure there were things I did not like but nothing stands out to me. But the one thing I really like about Canada is they don't take you prisoner. If you hate it so bad, leave.
the point of this thread was to share on some experiences that i've had, some might call it "culture shock" so if you don't like to discuss about it, leave the thread

One more thing, use a spell and grammer checker. There has to be a cheap one you can download. I mean what is up with all the colons and commas? I could see you leaving one out or something but adding an extra twenty is just to much.
the thread is old, brought it up for a new point. i've been working on my english since then

and no don't expect me to be perfect at it, as it's not my first language

thanks for playing along tho.