Cures for Insomnia

Sleeping pills. I've used them twice, both because I was nervous about the next days events. Puts you right out.

Lots of alcohol and excessive exercise.

Or just do what I normally do and read lots. On average I get 4hours sleep a night.

Sleeping pills usually eventually put me out. I go to bed around 2,3 or 5 in the morning.

Listen to a soft, acoustic song while watching and concentrating on a tv on mute. I usually turn on a fan beside me too, which works during the summer when it feels too hot even with air conditioning.

Listen to a soft, acoustic song while watching and concentrating on a tv on mute. I usually turn on a fan beside me too, which works during the summer when it feels too hot even with air conditioning.

The light from TVs/Monitors etc. apparently tricks your brain into thinking it is daylight thus actually making things worse. ;p

Can't really add much else to what's been said. Keep TVs and computer monitors off, don't eat before bed, if you exercise don't do it before bed either. Of course, I have to be at work at 4 am and I have night classes twice a week till about 9:30, so I'm probably not the best authority on this subject. But I do what I can.

I got about 5 or 6 hours last night so it wasn't too bad. Thanks for the well thought out post Never78, I'll definitely try that as my wandering mind is what seems to keep me from getting to sleep initially.

I get up and do something. Play guitar, fuck with my music library (last night was horrible. I fixed the genre of every single artist and pasted the album art for every missing one and fixed the year and album of every song. I'm fucked if that hits again anytime soon.) sometimes I'll smoke weed, I'll play WoW, etc. Black Sabbath is an excellent band for me to listen to whist trying to go to sleep.

I've had trouble sleeping for as long as I can remember, but I've never really done anything about it. I usually just listen to music while I'm going to sleep, not because I think it'll help, but because I just want to listen to music. A lot of times this works against me, especially with more extreme music, obviously, but sometimes it does help. Regardless, I very often spend many hours lying in bed waiting to go to sleep, and I just deal with little to no sleep, though lately I've been sleeping through til the afternoon or later since I have no obligations for which I need to be up early. So yeah, I'm no help to you, but I would also appreciate some suggestions.

You know, you could try listening to non-metal bands while sleeping. That's pretty much the main reason I keep stuff like the Grateful Dead, Soft Machine, and ambient music on my computer. I used to have shitloads of trouble sleeping until I started listening to quiet music in bed.

Even still, if I have a lot of school work to do, or some big, stressful event coming up the next day, I'll usually be up all night thinking about it. I guess if I really cared I could keep some booze around for those nights, since they're special occasions. Most of the time, though, music does the job.

A glass of liquor, just two shots or so, eases up the mind enough that the mental blocks preventing sleeping are gone. And it's not so much that you'll suffer any problems the next day.

You could also try www.i-doser.com. Read up on it, and if you're interested, try to find a cracked version on megaupload, or something like that. I find that those always knock me out, even the narcotic type ones. The nitrous/opium/morphine/anaesthesia tracks are hard to stay awake during.

I get up and do something. Play guitar, fuck with my music library (last night was horrible. I fixed the genre of every single artist and pasted the album art for every missing one and fixed the year and album of every song. I'm fucked if that hits again anytime soon.) sometimes I'll smoke weed, I'll play WoW, etc. Black Sabbath is an excellent band for me to listen to whist trying to go to sleep.

:lol: Yeah, for the really bad nights I usually take a break from bed every hour and a half or so. And yeah, as far as metal goes, Black Sabbath is pretty nice to sleep to. Electric Wizard and Agalloch are pretty sweet for it too - laid back, though really noisy, so you don't necessarily focus on the details of the songs.

I've tried Aggaloch and Opeth ballads but I get too into them. Black Sabbath has a hazy sound that can knock me the fuck out if I want it to.

Well, they're all pretty hazy sounding, but how much you get into them just depends on how much you like them. Personally, I wouldn't listen to Sabbath, since I find their songs incredibly moving. Agalloch isn't very gripping for me, so I'm fine sleeping to it.