Current addictions

Thanks for the Behemoth recommendations Cerulean, cliffburton615.

Side question: What is with Behemoth and spelling of as ov? What language or period of time is this from :?

I think Subterranean is the best thing to come out of the Gothendburg scene. Only listenable thing to me anymore...
For me: Subterranean/Jester Race (Whoracle is pretty good too), DT - The Gallery/Of Chaos and Eternal Night/Skydancer, Eucharist (Mirrorworlds, WAR compilation tracks), Dissection (Somberlain), Unanimated, A Canorous Quintet, ATG - Terminal & Slaughter..

Not all "Gothenburg", but Swedish Melodic Death Metal at least.

Well some of that stuff you mentioned is pretty good. Old Dissection is pretty good, even if they are incredible overrated these days. I still think the real swedish scene is the Stockholm one, with the sunlight bands etc. Of course there are a few good combinations as The Crown, who just plain ruled when they were active.

Even though I love some classic Stockholm scene (which is of course where it all started) releases, I liked the melodic Gothenburg stuff more. I got into extreme metal just a bit too late, to really get into the Stockholm scene when it happened.

But as said, not all bands I mentioned are from Gothenburg, in fact back then the melodic trend started to spread all over Sweden from '93, at that time I also got into Opeth, Unanimated, Naglfar and several others, who are all not from Gothenburg, but were still melodic in a Gothenburg kinda way. And yeah, The Crown are the epitome of 'kicking ass'.

Well I was pretty late too. I got into metal around 2000 and fell in love with the euro stuff bigtime (Children of Bodom, N*flaymz, Dark Tranquillity etc. etc.). By 2002-2003 I was so dead tired of it I could barely listen to it. While I have to admit that DT definitely is a superior band in those circles they've still stagnated bigtime.

I do love most non-Gothenburg swedish death metal bands though. Dismember, Insision, Degrade, Kaamos, Grave etc. all among my favourite extreme bands. I've never found Opeth to have any Gothenburg influences. It's rather a mix of Mikes influences, pretty much a bunch of prog rock and Doom/Death stuff.

Opeth was unique, but very melodic nonetheless (I'm talking Orchid, Morningrise), I still remember having read about them being signed by Candlelight based only on some rough rehearsal recordings (which Ihsahn of Emperor had given to them). I was in a record store in Amsterdam where they had Orchid and I listened to it on the headphones at the counter and at the first tones of "In Mist She Was Standing" my mind was made up :)

Never heard of Degrade btw, are they any good (apparently they are.. ;)).

I am digging back into the early Stockholm/Swedish scene since late last year, when a guy I know was selling his vinyl collection, he's a big Stockholm freak and now I'm reading the Swedish Death Metal book I'm also digging up some more old stuff.

About music... I'm still addicted to classical. Also been addicted to Isis's "Altered Course" again.

And about food and stuff.. eh well... La Brioche Dor&#233;e paninis, ah, they're great. And Snickers chocolates <3

Never. The Haunted are nowhere near as good as At The Gates were.

Why because one is cool to like an the other isn't? or is it because the haunted are capable of writing musical songs not just pointless aggression? maybe it's because the haunted have a way better vocalist? Could it be because the haunted has better lyrics? write darker songs? As for atg I don't give a crap about that boring scene or what they did for it. :) stef, kev, and I were all about melo death about 5 or 6 years ago, but we grew out of it man.

You can have personal taste but I don't think you're giving the people in the band too much credit. They did what any half intelligent person would do, they evolved. They aren't the youths who don't know much about the world anymore. They're musically a much more impressive beast, and that's a fact.

Also I think they just keep topping themselves with every release. The first 3 weren't much with exception of the song hollow ground(amazing song right ther), rEVOLVEr was pretty good, and the dead eye was amazing. They get a bad rap because of their past from the elitist assholes who are too afraid to expand their taste, and grow as a person.

I'm kinda drunk it's no biggy but c'mon at least check out the dead eye! that cd rocks.