D-Day

Wandrail

I'm your Huckleberry
Sep 29, 2002
Urban Sprawl, GA
So, its June 6th, D-Day, when Allied Forces led by General Eisenhower enacted one of the most risky and complex military missions of all time to invade Nazi controlled France, resulting in victory as well as immense casualties. I'm kind of curious as to how, on TV and things, this day is mentioned and remembered in Europe. I know there's alot of peple here from Northern Europe, finland and such, which wasn't so affected, but in southern Europe, France and Italy, as well as insular Europe, meaning the UK, I'm curious how this is commemorated. Here tv stations and radio are full of programming about WWII and especially D-Day. However, I get the feeling most people on this sid eof the pond are probably a bit unaware that its the anniversary of that attack.

Reactions: FailingAcension
to tell the truth, i didn't think about it until i read your post this afternoon. i've been quite busy today, so i watched the news only once in the whole day, but i haven't heard them mentioning the d-day. and i don't remember cnn.it dealing with it when i read it.
here in italy we've just celebrated the republic (on june the 2nd). that was easier to remember 'cause people don't go to work :p
but i still remember the d-day was in 1944, and when i went to france i've been in normandy and visited the museum there on the beach. that saves me :Spin:

I would love to visit that museum. Its strange to think that pretty soon everyone who was alive to remember that war will be dead, and no one will have first hand knowledge or experience of the biggest war in history.

I haven't heard anything about D-day until these posts. But I don't find that very strange, we do remember WWII but do that on the day that the Netherlands we freed of occupation. And becasue of that I think it would be a bit strange to do it all over a month and 2 days later...

Yeah, that's what I figure about northern europe, although the reason for D-Day's importance isn't just becxause of the legendary nature of the battle itself and the staggering loss of US and British life, but because had that attack failed, chances are the nazis might never have been broken. Eisenhower had two speeches prepared for the following day - one, the victory speech that was heard, stating that we had begun at long last the liberation of europe, and another taking full responsibility for the failure to breach the continent. That man had a pair, i'd say.

haven´t heard anything either, they made a huge thing of it though when 50 years had passed and old soldiers who had been there came back to jump from airplanes and stuff and it was loads of it on TV but since then I haven´t heard anything...

I guess that's how it goes. Russia has the worst of it though, lost some of the most men (although they could also be blamed for some of that, not very humane, those soviets) and get the least credit.

I really wonder how hazy WWII will be when i'm middle aged. If the significance of the whole thing will be lost on most everyone. That's how it goes you know, and that's how old mistakes always get repeated. Its how in my country, lazy, soft people forget all the past battles and give away hard earned freedom every year to power hungry government officials. I'm sure everywhere has their equivalent. Sad stuff.

I red an article about a Jude that survived and he was worried when all vitnesses has passed away and someone or a group of people can claim that non of what happend (with the judes) actually took place.then I was thinking if that could be possible? it´s one thing about forgetting it but manage to claim that it never happend? and make people beleive it?
I hope not...:erk:

There are crackpots who believe that already, but no. The advent of video and audio tape is modern day's saving grace in terms of history. Alot of things in the past have been forgotten, more than has been remembered probably. What will probably happen is that people will be aware of what transpired, in the same way we are aware of the plagues and in my country, the civil war. It'll be an interesting blurb once a year or so in newspapers. It will lose its effect eventually, although we have footage of piles of dead jews that don't even look human, propaganda tapes and such. WHo knows maybe that will help finally avoid repeating the same mistakes from before. None of it would have happened if people had listened to Churchill years before it started. Maybe the next CHurchill will have more luck. (doubt it)