Dakryn's Batshit Theory of the Week

I have, and found it to be utter drivel philosophically (especially when combined with her other works and personal notes).

Aside from a philosophical standpoint, I felt the novel was simply boring. There was no attachment to the characters emotionally, their placement within the upper echelons of society brought no connections to me physically, and their actions throughout the book were, at times, incredibly sociopathic, narcissistic and avaricious.

And it should be noted that Rand did have an aesthetic theory. Frankly it sounds like she was mimicking Tolstoy's aesthetic statements on the surface. Tolstoy however went into far more depth, and because of this there are very easily identifiable distinctions between the two.

Thank you for being rational. Yeah, Rand did not have it all together. She didn't approve of drinking and drugging, but she engaged in it herself. She failed to include aesthetics along with her metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, and politics.

I am NOT a strict Randist. Ayn was never the beginning nor the end for me in terms of philosophy. Just a very good middle guidance system. But do I fully believe that Atlas Shrugged the film could not have come out at a better time? Yes I do.

Now that you've answered his second question, how about answering the first.

I have, and found it to be utter drivel philosophically (especially when combined with her other works and personal notes).

Aside from a philosophical standpoint, I felt the novel was simply boring. There was no attachment to the characters emotionally, their placement within the upper echelons of society brought no connections to me physically, and their actions throughout the book were, at times, incredibly sociopathic, narcissistic and avaricious.

I disagree about the characters. I actually think they're somewhat successful, compelling characters whose "antisocial" tendencies serve the purposes of the novel. If you look at what she's constructing, she's done a good job of making it a coherent whole. Philosophically, yes it's lacking; but I think that if you read it critically there actually is some appeal to the characters at a technical level (there is, however, little to no character development throughout the novel; Rand's characters know what they believe and this doesn't change).

To preface, I've gone over the book several times; I agree that their anti-social tendencies serve the purpose of the novel, but I feel that the sole purpose of the novel, as a vehicle for objectivist political theory and epistemological/psychological machinations of humanity, was written in far too dull a form to be truly effective.I also disagree with you in that they are compelling characters; In fact, the one word I would use to describe her works as a whole would have to be shallow (not to sound too rude, but I must be honest).

Essentially what this is going to come down to is personal taste in literature though - so there is no use really constructing an argument over it (even though I have gone a bit overboard and stated my opinion with a bit of depth).

To close the general Ayn Rand argument on my end though:
After several reading of her works and novels, I have found no appealing thought processes that stand out in a unique manner that I feel would be actually beneficial to most people. Certainly many could cherry pick what she says and off of that build a somewhat cohesive system of thought, but on its own it it quite unstable. She over-extends her reach and ultimately sinks her own ship by incorporating every negative experience she has ever had as antithetical to her philosophic principles - as can easily be shown from her blatant ascription of morality to systems where it is not inherent (her whole original reason for glorifying LF capitalism is both denounced the Russian revolution which destroyed her families wealth/prosperity & solidified what she lost as something that was not inherently negative). It's actually from these experiences you can directly see a correlation between her hatred of the lower classes when compared to those of the "titan's and creators of industry" as she so puts it. Unfortunately she had a large chip on her shoulder, and it affected everything she did. The evolution of her philosophy also seems deeply disturbing, especially when you realize what the changes she made to the vernacular actually entails (to clarify, most philosophers have redefined commonly accepted terms into new usages, or created entire lexicons to transmit their ideas; I find Rand's new definitions to be... well, wrong in many regards).

I'm still looking for essay's that she wrote to try to understand her thought processes when it came to philosophy, as it would be interesting to see if she actually "got" Plato or Aristotle (her original duo who opened her eyes). I'm curious because she has also cited Nietzsche as an early influence, and she certainly didn't understand Nietzsche (nor did she understand Kant, but he can at least be labelled as ridiculously difficult for most). I still wonder what would have happened if she decided to eschew her burden and get her act together - unfortunately we'll never know.

I honestly believe those libertarians who idolize Rand would be much better off disassociating with her philosophy all together. Most come off as maladjusted and ignorant, and those that don't do not ever speak up - essentially the morons have drowned out the sane voices in their ranks. That too is very unfortunate. Take Ozzman for example, I don't recall him ever acting as a pompous, ignorant, self-inflated jackass in this thread when it has come to serious discussions. The same cannot be said of Prismatic Sphere. I highly suggest Ozzman reread Atlas Shrugged, and that he also read her personal philosophical writings to get a better understanding of where she is coming from and what she is thinking while she wrote those novels; if he likes it, even adores it, then fine - that is perfectly acceptable. I would however also suggest he read other works that are the complete opposite of Rand's writing. Hell, off the bat you could recommend anything by Kant or Kierkegaard (really though, Kant should be left for experienced philosophy readers - he is a bit much to handle), Dostoevsky is a great writer to recommend (as is Tolstoy). Hell, read some Camus! For modern philosophers, I highly recommend Rorty, as his focus on empathy is amazing. And of course, one can always recommend Thomas Paine, Locke, and Montaigne and a myriad of others. Hell, I would also recommend the stoics - specifically Epictetus and Aurelius. And for awesomeness, read about Diogenes!

------

This part goes way back:
@Dak: I was going to respond to the market/coercion thing right now, but honestly Cyth has done a fine job. Rather than continue jabbing at you I'll merely state that I disagree about your assessment of the market. You are right on one thing though, it is not an ethereal entity - it is merely a physical one.

As for the retort to my "actions" statement: You giving the man a dollar and then beating him up has absolutely nothing to do with the whole of the situation. Yes, I would say giving him the dollar was a good thing and beating him up was a shitty thing to do. It's not that actions exist in a vacuum, it's that it is entirely possible to judge an action based solely on its individual merits (if they are known). You keep trying to look at a larger picture, to see how everything plays out - that was not what I was talking about. You continuously focus on an entire system that is somehow "totally negative and bassackwards"; I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but that isn't entirely true. Even if I were to admit that the system we work in as a whole was completely fucking wrong and terrible, that still does not mean that such actions are worthless or wrong. For example: the Lakota nation right now is dealing with many terrible problems. These problems range from government coercion, drug abuse and dissemination, malnutrition, and homelessness. Yes, some people may need to go through paperwork trails and play the governments game and deal with taxation and butt-fuckery when licensing property, but in the end when you set up a sustainable section of farmland, or an adobe spherical house that can withstand an 8.0 earthquake, you have to look at the system as a whole and say "yes, the path here was arduous, and terrible in its design - but this result right here was worth it". yes, you treated a symptom and not the cause - but that in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing. You can simultaneously work on both the symptoms and the causes you know.

----
@PS:
Would you like to cite those definitions there buddy?
Here, I'll cite an actual definition of altruism that can be looked up all over the world:
Dictionary.com; Merrium-Webster; various encyclopedia's said:
–noun
the principle or practice of unselfish concern for or devotion to the welfare of others ( opposed to egoism).
Animal Behavior . behavior by an animal that may be to its disadvantage but that benefits others of its kind, as a warning cry that reveals the location of the caller to a predator.

Go ahead and respond if you wish, I don't particularly care. It must be said though that you third definition is particularly awful. Good luck believing that drivel.

Of course you would feel that way. Her book wasn't intended for "humanitarians" such as yourself.

And it should be noted that Rand did have an aesthetic theory. Frankly it sounds like she was mimicking Tolstoy's aesthetic statements on the surface. Tolstoy however went into far more depth, and because of this there are very easily identifiable distinctions between the two.

What I meant was; Rand never succinctly gave a name to that branch of her philosophy as she did the other four; e.g. Ethics: Self-Interest(through value production I would add, to be more precise). But if I could ascribe a phrase to sum her aesthetics it would have to be Value REFLECTION.

Now that you've answered his second question, how about answering the first.

Sure thing pal. I've read The Communist Manifesto many times. Still the funniest book I have ever read. Kills me every time.

And I while I don't agree with Christopher Hitchens on some things; he nailed it to the cross with religion.

WAY more exciting than this trivial tripe.....

THE REVIEWS ARE IN!!!

And every one of them is great.

Here's a review from Reason.com and Atlas Society (see URL#2):

http://reason.com/blog/2011/02/25/th...-gives-atlas-s
This Objectivist Gives Atlas Shrugged Part I a Hearty Thumbs Up!
Matt Welch | February 25, 2011

David Kelley of The Atlas Society was at yesterday's world premier pre-screening of Atlas Shrugged Part I (as were several Reasoners, me included). So???? http://www.atlassociety.org/review-a...ed-part-1-film

The skeptics are wrong. The completed film was shown today for the first time in a private screening. It is simply beautiful. With a screenplay faithful to the narrative and message of the novel, the adaptation is lushly produced. The acting, cinematography, and score create a powerful experience of the story.

Taylor Schilling is riveting as Dagny Taggart [...]

For over half a century, Rand's novel has been a lightning rod for controversy. It has attracted millions of devoted fans—and legions of hostile critics. A poor adaptation could be ignored by both sides. This adaptation can't be ignored. It is way too good. It is going to turbocharge the debate over Rand’s vision of capitalism as a moral ideal. Whether you love the novel or hate it, Atlas Shrugged Part I is a must-see film.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

And a few more from imdb:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480239/usercomments

--------------------------------------------------------

I had the perfect song playing when I found this out too.

Allen/Lande - "The Revenge" :headbang:

Cannot fucking WAIT for this!!!

As for the retort to my "actions" statement: You giving the man a dollar and then beating him up has absolutely nothing to do with the whole of the situation. Yes, I would say giving him the dollar was a good thing and beating him up was a shitty thing to do. It's not that actions exist in a vacuum, it's that it is entirely possible to judge an action based solely on its individual merits (if they are known).

But it serves no practical purpose to judge such actions on individual merit. The man would have been better off had I never crossed his path, I assure you he will not be measuring his dollar gain seperately from his beating.

You keep trying to look at a larger picture, to see how everything plays out - that was not what I was talking about. You continuously focus on an entire system that is somehow "totally negative and bassackwards"; I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but that isn't entirely true.

But it is.

Even if I were to admit that the system we work in as a whole was completely fucking wrong and terrible, that still does not mean that such actions are worthless or wrong. For example: the Lakota nation right now is dealing with many terrible problems. These problems range from government coercion, drug abuse and dissemination, malnutrition, and homelessness. Yes, some people may need to go through paperwork trails and play the governments game and deal with taxation and butt-fuckery when licensing property, but in the end when you set up a sustainable section of farmland, or an adobe spherical house that can withstand an 8.0 earthquake, you have to look at the system as a whole and say "yes, the path here was arduous, and terrible in its design - but this result right here was worth it". yes, you treated a symptom and not the cause - but that in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If you don't see the massive hole in this arguement I will refrain from taking this further. A corrupt and flawed system is not somehow redeemed to even a minute portion, because someone achieved a small measure of success in spite of it.

You can simultaneously work on both the symptoms and the causes you know.

Treating the root cause is treating the symptom. Treating the symptom only is a symptom itself and part of the "sickness". It is effort forced into eventual waste.

Take Ozzman for example, I don't recall him ever acting as a pompous, ignorant, self-inflated jackass in this thread when it has come to serious discussions. The same cannot be said of Prismatic Sphere. I highly suggest Ozzman reread Atlas Shrugged, and that he also read her personal philosophical writings to get a better understanding of where she is coming from and what she is thinking while she wrote those novels; if he likes it, even adores it, then fine - that is perfectly acceptable. I would however also suggest he read other works that are the complete opposite of Rand's writing. Hell, off the bat you could recommend anything by Kant or Kierkegaard (really though, Kant should be left for experienced philosophy readers - he is a bit much to handle), Dostoevsky is a great writer to recommend (as is Tolstoy). Hell, read some Camus! For modern philosophers, I highly recommend Rorty, as his focus on empathy is amazing. And of course, one can always recommend Thomas Paine, Locke, and Montaigne and a myriad of others. Hell, I would also recommend the stoics - specifically Epictetus and Aurelius. And for awesomeness, read about Diogenes!

My philosophy repertoire is, indeed, lacking. Anything I've read involved it being part of a class of some sort (I've read The Stranger, Plato's Republic, The Prince by Machiavelli, The Road to Serfdom (more economic philosophy than anything), Rene Descartes' Meditations on First Philosophy and Cicero's Tusculan Disputations (although I didn't really like/understand it all that well).

I bought Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotle and I plan on reading it at some point. I also want to dig into some Bertrand Russell as well.

I have Philosophy: Who Needs It? and The Virtue of Selfishness by Rand. I have read most of the latter, but I need to re-read it because I get lost at times.

I think I might have read Discourse on the Method by Descartes as well, but I can't remember.

EDIT: I've read Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes but didn't like it at all. I got through about half of Thus Spoke Zarathustra, but Nietzsche's writing is hard to absorb so I may go a different route in exploring his philosophy

I think that's about it. Most of what I listed is stuff I read for high school Humanities class or for college level philosophy courses.

I'm open for recommendations as I'm a rookie when it comes to this, although philosophy has always interested me. I'll try to get to them all in time, but I'm reading three books for pleasure and I'm studying for the first actuarial exam, so my free time is full of that stuff.

But it serves no practical purpose to judge such actions on individual merit. The man would have been better off had I never crossed his path, I assure you he will not be measuring his dollar gain seperately from his beating.

Stop assuming everything has a necessarily pragmatic side to it. And of course the hobo getting beat won't care; this is an exercise in thinking and partitioning man. The fact of the matter in the hypothetical is that you did cross his path - you by your very presence have altered the options he may choose from. You can analyze your options as I have presented previously AND you can judge your actions as a whole; you can in fact do both. The fact that you refuse to admit this is baffling. My point was we do not solely use a utilitarian calculus to decry or applaud actions. And this is literally a fact: we do not only use a utilitarian methods to judge the worth of a group of actions.

But it is.
There is no point in arguing with you here because you and I both no that neither of us will change our stances. Go ahead and think that the government is nothing but evil incarnate.

If you don't see the massive hole in this arguement I will refrain from taking this further. A corrupt and flawed system is not somehow redeemed to even a minute portion, because someone achieved a small measure of success in spite of it.
The point of that example was to show that although you may not be able to treat the broken foundation, you can still positively affect those who are affected by said condition without treating the root cause. I can help people without helping uproot the system as a whole. And yes, it is important to take the time to help those replant themselves even in times of duress, especially when the system itself is being worked on. You sound like one of those guys who refuses to spend time serving food at a homeless shelter because nothing is being done to help them in the long run. the fact of the matter is they still need food - and you are completely eschewing that aspect of the problem.

My philosophy repertoire is, indeed, lacking. Anything I've read involved it being part of a class of some sort (I've read The Stranger, Plato's Republic, The Prince by Machiavelli, The Road to Serfdom (more economic philosophy than anything), Rene Descartes' Meditations on First Philosophy and Cicero's Tusculan Disputations (although I didn't really like/understand it all that well).

I bought Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotle and I plan on reading it at some point. I also want to dig into some Bertrand Russell as well.

I have Philosophy: Who Needs It? and The Virtue of Selfishness by Rand. I have read most of the latter, but I need to re-read it because I get lost at times.

I think I might have read Discourse on the Method by Descartes as well, but I can't remember.

EDIT: I've read Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes but didn't like it at all. I got through about half of Thus Spoke Zarathustra, but Nietzsche's writing is hard to absorb so I may go a different route in exploring his philosophy

I think that's about it. Most of what I listed is stuff I read for high school Humanities class or for college level philosophy courses.

I'm open for recommendations as I'm a rookie when it comes to this, although philosophy has always interested me. I'll try to get to them all in time, but I'm reading three books for pleasure and I'm studying for the first actuarial exam, so my free time is full of that stuff.

Russell is both hilarious and angry (depending on the topic). If you are interested in Descartes era philosophy, I'll scan some La Mettrie for you to read; he was very critical of Descartes (who wasn't though?), but his ideas – especially for the time – are radical. He's a highly enjoyable writer too.

As for Nietzsche, I always recommend a primer before delving into his works. Nietzsche wrote for first and foremost for himself, and his writing style is best understood as being half metaphor/half wit/all fury. His style of writing is a direct result of his worldview – and I must admit that he, many a time, purposely crafted disjarring and contradictory sentences. He wasn't an “either or” type of thinker. I have a few primers (surprisingly a few are not by Kaufman!), so I will try to dig those out of storage to give you an isbn or a link to reviews to see if it might be up your alley. If you want to just jump right in then I suggest just starting from the beginning. Just make sure you get a good translation!

Frankly for intro books, I would also recommend Will Durant's Story of Philosophy or Coppleston's History of Philosophy (which you might be able to download pdf's for free off of gigapedia :shhhhhhhhhhhh: ).

If you want to just jump into subjects that interest you (like free will, personal identity, various problems, etc.) then just ask. I'm positive that myself or Cyth will be able to throw book recommendations your way.

Stop assuming everything has a necessarily pragmatic side to it. And of course the hobo getting beat won't care; this is an exercise in thinking and partitioning man. The fact of the matter in the hypothetical is that you did cross his path - you by your very presence have altered the options he may choose from. You can analyze your options as I have presented previously AND you can judge your actions as a whole; you can in fact do both. The fact that you refuse to admit this is baffling. My point was we do not solely use a utilitarian calculus to decry or applaud actions. And this is literally a fact: we do not only use a utilitarian methods to judge the worth of a group of actions.

I am not arguing what is or is not, but what should be (omg idealist alert!). All things should be considered with practical application in mind, and the effects on a broad/long term scale as well as the immediate effects on the local level. To praise merits in one while there is detriment to the other is rather stupid, although possible.

There is no point in arguing with you here because you and I both no that neither of us will change our stances. Go ahead and think that the government is nothing but evil incarnate.

Nice strawman.

The point of that example was to show that although you may not be able to treat the broken foundation, you can still positively affect those who are affected by said condition without treating the root cause. I can help people without helping uproot the system as a whole. And yes, it is important to take the time to help those replant themselves even in times of duress, especially when the system itself is being worked on. You sound like one of those guys who refuses to spend time serving food at a homeless shelter because nothing is being done to help them in the long run. the fact of the matter is they still need food - and you are completely eschewing that aspect of the problem.

No, I wouldn't help a shelter that merely fed and sheltered homeless people, because it enables their situation/drag on society. I got a firsthand view of this on a weekly basis in my hometown. There was a park, a homeless shelter, and the public library all adjacent to one another.

On my weekly visits to the library, I got to observe that the park was full of homeless people during the day, they went across the street for meals, and then at night for a place to sleep. The res tof the time they sat on the park benches and shot the shit or slept. Why should I assist a place like that, or people like that?

I firmly believe in "helping those who help themselves" (a phrase commonly, but mistakenly, attributed to the Bible However, the principle is there), but I have absolutely zero interest in helping those who are merely content to sponge, or those who would enable such leeches. All disdain should be aimed at the guy who sits all day at an overpass with his thumb out, not the dozens who pass him by.

Dak, I'm not sure where practical standards and moral standards begin and end with your argument. Are you saying that it's morally laudable to help those who help themselves, and morally reprehensible to help those who do nothing to help themselves? Sometimes your arguments strike me as ruthlessly pragmatic, and other times as questionably moral.

Personally, the question of morality should play no part in arguments of this type; morality introduces too many ideological factors, and in arguing about a topic like this we're required to distance ourselves from ideology (if that's even possible; according to Althusser, it's not). I can't stand that Ayn Rand calls capitalism the only moral economic/political system; it shouldn't be argued on moral standards. The best critics of capitalism don't attack it for its immoral treatment of those less fortunate, the proletariat or the labor class whose unions are fighting for an equal right, blah blah blah.

The best arguments against capitalism criticize what they perceive to be its logical incapacity to perpetuate itself. This is somewhat paradoxical, because Marx has said that capitalism is one of the most structurally adept systems due to its ability to reify and appropriate everything it encounters into its ideological workings. However, eventually this capability to absorb that which opposes it will run out, the leftists say; morality has less to do with it than the fact that simply, one day, revolution is inevitable. At this point, morality doesn't matter; all that matters is that if capitalism can be and is overthrown, something new will take its place.

There's no point in arguing for capitalism on a moral level. If we want to figure out how to sustain it, we need to figure out a logical, structural formula for its success. As of this moment in history (despite capitalism's current omnipresence), such formulas are nearly absent (if not completely absent).

Dak, I'm not sure where practical standards and moral standards begin and end with your argument. Are you saying that it's morally laudable to help those who help themselves, and morally reprehensible to help those who do nothing to help themselves? Sometimes your arguments strike me as ruthlessly pragmatic, and other times as questionably moral.

To be clear, I do not see any seperation between practicality and morality, and yes, to your first suggestion. To be even further clear, it goes the other way as well. To be immoral is to be impractical. A perfect example is homosexuality (apologies to Mathias).

Edit: When I was a child, I had a book called [ame="http://www.amazon.com/If-Everybody-Did-Ann-Stover/dp/0890844879"]"If Everybody Did". [/ame]While the examples were extremely simple, to make sense to someone whose concern involved tracking dirt on a clean floor, the principles stayed with me. As an adult, after multiple experiences spanning several industries, I hold the principles of that simple lesson paramount, as real life experience has validified the message, and assisted in creating my modus operandi.

2nd Edit: @ Capitalism: I do not support the current "American" format of "capitalism". It is flawed, unsustainable, and obviously impractical/immoral. Free Enterprise is not. Land-use occupancy is the key. Basically all the land on the planet is owned, yet the overwhelming majority is uninhabited and/or improved. Herein lies the main problem.

To be immoral is to be impractical. A perfect example is homosexuality (apologies to Mathias).

Why is homosexuality impractical? Not really a perfect example.

2nd Edit: @ Capitalism: I do not support the current "American" format of "capitalism". It is flawed, unsustainable, and obviously impractical/immoral. Free Enterprise is not. Land-use occupancy is the key. Basically all the land on the planet is owned, yet the overwhelming majority is uninhabited and/or improved. Herein lies the main problem.

Do you think that efficiently using the land that's owned would supply jobs to a majority of those who currently don't have any? The exploitation of land is also an issue. Competition drives capitalism; as soon as we have land-owners who begin using criminal means to gain profit, you have a flaw.

Why is homosexuality impractical? Not really a perfect example.

It does not fit into the "circle of life" for lack of a better way of putting it. I don't want this to turn into a homosexual debate so let us leave that example.

Do you think that efficiently using the land that's owned would supply jobs to a majority of those who currently don't have any?

It's not the job of anyone to supply jobs. If we operated under a land use occupancy rule, everyone could theoretically be self employed if they so chose. A job working for someone else is merely a form of slavery, although a more or less agreeable form to most people.

The exploitation of land is also an issue. Competition drives capitalism; as soon as we have land-owners who begin using criminal means to gain profit, you have a flaw.

Human nature is the flaw in any plan or theory, which is why there can be no utopia, since something that is imperfect cannot create something perfect. I am not arguing for a utopia, merely that people be allowed to rise and fall on their own merits. Foundational to this is a right to land, and the inability to "hoard" land.

Do not suggest that there would be food shortages and such. This has already been disproven, and our current agricultural model is monumentally inefficient compared to the local area production model of decentralization. It is also monumentally better for the environment.

Why is the "circle of life", or rather, how anyone else fits into that circle, important? You're a bigoted douche, you're just trying to find ways to veil your bigoted douchery. You can't make such a scathing, retarded claim and then when someone calls you on your bullshit, just go "well that's a debate for another day so we'll wait for that day." It was a stupid point and now you have to defend it. There's a reason you mentioned it, clearly.

It does not fit into the "circle of life" for lack of a better way of putting it. I don't want this to turn into a homosexual debate so let us leave that example.

It's a misconception that the primary goal of the sexual drive is reproduction. People cathect onto certain objects for a plethora of reasons; the sexual orientation of a person is formed over a long period of time. If it's "unnatural" to become a homosexual, it's just as unnatural to become heterosexual. There is no universal teleological aim of sexuality. From birth it's associated with certain pleasurable sensations, and the objects that provide/influence these sensations serve to mold the subject's sexual orientation.

It's not the job of anyone to supply jobs. If we operated under a land use occupancy rule, everyone could theoretically be self employed if they so chose. A job working for someone else is merely a form of slavery, although a more or less agreeable form to most people.

The return of the means of production to the people is a very Marxian argument.