Dakryn's Batshit Theory of the Week

You guys need to read more closely. Here's a brief exchange between the author and another poster in the comments section:

Poster- 'While I agree that a huge reduction in animal based agriculture may impact on the habitats and lives of wild creatures, I find it disingenuous to imply that vegans somehow do not care about such things.'

Author- I'm not saying that vegans don't care about these issues. I'm just saying that their actions don't solve the human domination that vegan ethics tries to oppose.

P- 'Yes, if you take a person's views on what they eat out of the context of their overall political or environmental attitudes then you could see veganism or animal rights as 'single issue' activism, however in my experience vegans tend to be far more likely to be involved in other forms of political, cultural and environmental activism.'

A- I never claimed that vegans don't care about anything other than animal product consumption.

P- 'Holding strong views on the sanctity of animal life does not mean automatic disregard for the value of human life'

A- I never said that either. I believe that most vegans value human life very highly. That is why they are content to end animal product consumption but leave other forms of human domination intact.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88KMFj6eurY&feature=share[/ame]

Yes, this country will be destroyed - when you detonate your doomsday device to usher in the spiritual age of heavenly union, you crazy son of a bitch.

That is pretty Glenn Beck-ish, in that it is something Glenn Beck does and I think it's fake. I don't see what is wrong with genuine emotion itself (not that this is it), or where the doomsday device comment comes in to play. The Pentagon has WMDs, not some internet radio jockey in Austin. Misplaced concern.

I don't see anything threatening in Jones' (most likely faux) outburst (particularly of "doomsday" proportions). Apparently you did. I'm questioning that.

I'm just shocked that you took that comment literally...

You rarely, randomly surprise me with emotional responses to things so I don't know when it's not legit lol.

If you want to actually get creeped out instead of merely annoyed, find some clips of Glenn Beck talking directly to [you] the listener. When I worked as a contractor about the only thing we could pick up on the radio was AM talk radio so I heard the standard blowhards (Rush/Hannity/Beck). Hannity was probably the worst in pure sleeze but Beck has this completely creepy "I'm your inner voice" thing he does occasionally.

Yeah, I've heard Beck's stuff. I don't usually listen to this tripe, but someone posted the Jones clip on Facebook, and it was so short that I decided to give it a listen.

The "doomsday device" comment was in reference simply to paranoiac fanaticism; I don't think he actually has a doomsday device, but I think that he's of the mentality that would set one off.

Yeah, I've heard Beck's stuff. I don't usually listen to this tripe, but someone posted the Jones clip on Facebook, and it was so short that I decided to give it a listen.

The "doomsday device" comment was in reference simply to paranoiac fanaticism; I don't think he actually has a doomsday device, but I think that he's of the mentality that would set one off.

I don't. I think from a non-conspiracy side he's a shrewd business man capitalizing on a niche market. On the conspiracy side he is classic COINTELPRO.

The assumption that someone professing to be a "patriot" is intent on terrorism sounds like SPLC informed counter-paranoia.

Speaking of, get a load of this spin:

The rise in such groups echoes a period almost 20 years ago, around the time when Congress passed the 1993 Brady Bill and the 1994 ban on assault weapons, the SPLC said. That legislation came near a period of infamous and deadly anti-government violence in Waco, Texas; Ruby Ridge, Idaho; and Oklahoma City, "and led to the first wave of the patriot movement," the report said.

Two instances where people specifically trying to be left alone were attacked by Fed jackboots, not in any way related to the OKC bombing.

The very beginning of that rant points toward what I perceive as unhealthy religious fanaticism; and if he isn't truly such a fanatic, but is merely capitalizing on the market (as you suggest), then I'd argue that he plays the role of a doomsday-er.

This is one of the situations where intentionality doesn't really matter. As it stands, he caters to masses that are highly superstitious when it comes to apocalyptic "end of days" revelations. Those people wouldn't suddenly change their views if Jones is proven to be a fraud.

Beck, Hannity, and Limbaugh are all disgusting, fear mongering pieces of shit. I've never listened to Jones but I'm sure he is a piece of shit too.

The very beginning of that rant points toward what I perceive as unhealthy religious fanaticism; and if he isn't truly such a fanatic, but is merely capitalizing on the market (as you suggest), then I'd argue that he plays the role of a doomsday-er.

This is one of the situations where intentionality doesn't really matter. As it stands, he caters to masses that are highly superstitious when it comes to apocalyptic "end of days" revelations. Those people wouldn't suddenly change their views if Jones is proven to be a fraud.

Of course. There is a distinction to be made between different sorts of "doomsdayers" though. There are those who see an end of the ideologically mythological "Free America", the last "bastion of freedom". Then there are those who expect to see that in conjunction with a NWO. Then there are those who see the NWO being the function of the Beast, which would be your religious doomsdayers. The idea that the USA is/was uniquely created and guided by God has been sold by both the state and the church up until our lifetimes, with the churches still preaching this in many cases. Conflating political flights with the titanic struggle between Good vs Evil, or God vs the other god, is old as history.

When peoples were conquered, rarely did they lose their belief in their god. When countries were defeated in battle, rarely did they lose faith in their leadership. When a political figure shows poor judgement in either an official or personal capacity, rarely do their supporters falter. And when celebrity personalities err, rarely do the faithful notice. It's the nature of people to give no quarter to the "enemy", but show "grace" to those they approve of.

I left out another sort of doomsdayer. Those who believe that what cannot go on forever, won't. This isn't "apocalyptic", but that it will be unpleasant to be present when the music stops is probably an understatement. Probably needless to say I fall into this last category.

Of course. There is a distinction to be made between different sorts of "doomsdayers" though. There are those who see an end of the ideologically mythological "Free America", the last "bastion of freedom". Then there are those who expect to see that in conjunction with a NWO. Then there are those who see the NWO being the function of the Beast, which would be your religious doomsdayers. The idea that the USA is/was uniquely created and guided by God has been sold by both the state and the church up until our lifetimes, with the churches still preaching this in many cases. Conflating political flights with the titanic struggle between Good vs Evil, or God vs the other god, is old as history.

When peoples were conquered, rarely did they lose their belief in their god. When countries were defeated in battle, rarely did they lose faith in their leadership. When a political figure shows poor judgement in either an official or personal capacity, rarely do their supporters falter. And when celebrity personalities err, rarely do the faithful notice. It's the nature of people to give no quarter to the "enemy", but show "grace" to those they approve of.

I left out another sort of doomsdayer. Those who believe that what cannot go on forever, won't. This isn't "apocalyptic", but that it will be unpleasant to be present when the music stops is probably an understatement. Probably needless to say I fall into this last category.

So then you agree that it doesn't matter whether Jones is a fraud or not?

So then you agree that it doesn't matter whether Jones is a fraud or not?

It doesn't as long as it can't be proven that he is. I've seen some footage of him at various events throwing a wrench in the works of something he should be trying to help, if he was legit. Obviously those videos don't make it onto Infowars :lol:

Nah, cult of personality/celebrity product has to make sure He is center stage in whatever is going on. Even if it makes things worse.

It's a pretty good argument, as long as you don't see it as reasonable to differentiate between Humans and Animals, in one way or another.

There is also a difference between torturous treatment of animals and killing for food, and I argue against the former primarily due to the effect said treatment has on humans, versus the effects on the animals.