Dakryn's Batshit Theory of the Week

I am long on PMs. If I had the money I would go long on a few other commodities like foodstuffs and Ag land. Although I expect profits can be made in the short term riding the QE infusions in the stock market, I believe it's ultimately a losers game. I'd rather buy assets than IOUs.

I'm actually considering getting into commodities trading with a friend after a graduation. Lot of money to be made and is relatively low-risk.

I don't think it's a losers game at all. I have a long term portfolio that right now is averaging a 20% ROI and a short term plan that can be very profitable at times as well. If I can accumulate enough money I'll just be day trade for a living most likely.

The problem is one of the connection factor and the politicized nature of the stock market. You don't have the connections like the Buffet(s) do, nor do you have a direct line to the Fed, nor do you posses HFT equipment or algorithms. You also have no guarantee of contract enforcement. Of course this is all a long term perspective, not necessarily speaking of a "crash" or "seizure" tomorrow. If you don't hold it, you don't own it is what I run on. It's a shame, because the stock market in theory is great. It's just been ruined by all the cronyism. All the money the Fed is pumping has to go somewhere seeking a return, and right now there are precious few places for it to go. I was just reading the other day that ag land is a bubble in the making. Not a good sign for future grocery bills.

860343_225502407574985_1184622687_o.png

Stock market seems silly to me, but I got stuck with a retirement fund that I can't touch until i'm 59 1/2 so I guess I sort of 'play' it.

Nah, cult of personality/celebrity product has to make sure He is center stage in whatever is going on. Even if it makes things worse.

You're giving him way too much credit. He doesn't need to be the one orchestrating his own "cult of personality"; it can be a cultural effect. This seems like your usual "puppet masters" argument.

Don't mean to beat a dead horse but here is an article on animal rights I'd like you guys to read and briefly critique if you have the time.

http://www.strike-the-root.com/4/graham/graham1.html

I can't read the whole thing tonight, but the author already seems to found his argument on the non-aggression principle, which is also "riddled with problems" although he doesn't seem to acknowledge that.

I want to know why we need to establish animal rights; why can't we say that neither humans nor animals have rights?

You're giving him way too much credit. He doesn't need to be the one orchestrating his own "cult of personality"; it can be a cultural effect. This seems like your usual "puppet masters" argument.

So you are saying that celebrities don't consciously make career/situational moves to enhance their product/brand (which is themselves)? This is just basic business sense.

I want to know why we need to establish animal rights; why can't we say that neither humans nor animals have rights?

I don't see how we frame any sort of "ought" without a foundation of negative rights. I don't see a remotely "desirable/functional" society without them as a reference point.

So you are saying that celebrities don't consciously make career/situational moves to enhance their product/brand (which is themselves)? This is just basic business sense.

I'm talking about Jones, not every celebrity everywhere. Occasionally crazy people get lucky. Why assume he has a good business mind? Your characterization seems pretty presumptuous. I'm just saying that it's entirely possible that he genuinely believes what he says, that he's inconsistent (like all human beings are), and that he happened to land himself in a position where he attracts the ears of predispositioned listeners.

Let me ask you: what's the difference between Jones and any other person with those same idiosyncratic beliefs? You would see the exact same results if someone who genuinely believed these things was in his position. So why assume he's disingenuous? It just seems to me that you're crying "conspiracy" where no evidence really exists.

I don't see how we frame any sort of "ought" without a foundation of negative rights. I don't see a remotely "desirable/functional" society without them as a reference point.

I know you don't. But this much is clear: animals don't treat humans according to any overbearing doctrine of rights. Obviously, they don't have the capacity to do so (that we know of), with certain potential exceptions. Does this mean that humans have an obligation to treat animals as though they have rights? Why should we presume to have any obligation?

I'm not saying that we are justified in treating animals poorly. I'm saying that we don't need a doctrine of rights in order to do so. Why not operate under an empathetic ethics that refigures "rights" as the space projected by our cognitive capacity to understand that other organisms experience pain. This space doesn't actually exist, it simply allows for a mediated association. An animal doesn't have "rights" any more than a human does. We, however, have a capacity to understand pain in a cognitive way that other animals don't have. This alleviates animals from having to operate under the presumption of "rights" while still encouraging humans toward an ethical treatment of animals.

I just think the argument of rights-based ethics is misleadingly foundational. Rights don't originate in an organism; but the atavistic notion of rights that emerges from such arguments suggests something absolute, which in turn puts animals under scrutiny for not operating according to such rights.

I'm not talking about some intrinsic rights here. You're getting too caught up in literature/philosophy, post modernism. We're talking about abstractions that we use everyday. You sir, have rights, you apply them everyday. They exist. What next? No right or wrong?

I doubt that Jones is a fake. Sure, he has gotten a little wackier with time, but he was wacky as hell well before he was famous. There just happen to be a lot of suspicious people out there who are looking for the big bad wolf to point their finger at for their problems, people of whom Jones gels with very well.

I'm talking about Jones, not every celebrity everywhere. Occasionally crazy people get lucky. Why assume he has a good business mind? Your characterization seems pretty presumptuous. I'm just saying that it's entirely possible that he genuinely believes what he says, that he's inconsistent (like all human beings are), and that he happened to land himself in a position where he attracts the ears of predispositioned listeners.

Let me ask you: what's the difference between Jones and any other person with those same idiosyncratic beliefs? You would see the exact same results if someone who genuinely believed these things was in his position. So why assume he's disingenuous? It just seems to me that you're crying "conspiracy" where no evidence really exists.

I don't follow. The guy is obviously an astute business man (or he has some excellent silent partners directing the enterprise). Infowars/Prison Planet has grown to be quite the polished, self contained media outlet since it's early days as a pretty much spam text only website.

He's doing exactly the same thing as other talking heads have done, except he's doing it alone instead of riding a network like the O'Reillys and Jon Stewart's of the media world.

I don't see the "conspiracy" angle behind that, other than maybe an internal one. Of course I leave the COINTELPRO option open for an actual "conspiracy" option

I know you don't. But this much is clear: animals don't treat humans according to any overbearing doctrine of rights. Obviously, they don't have the capacity to do so (that we know of), with certain potential exceptions. Does this mean that humans have an obligation to treat animals as though they have rights? Why should we presume to have any obligation?

I agree. Animals in their fullest state of "consciousness" (or lack thereof) are driven by instinct. An example I would use for differentiation between humans and animals:

I can place myself in the shoes of another person, and wonder what it would be like to feel the drone strike, the lash, etc. If I place myself in the place of an animal, I can no longer "know". I am merely driven by instinctual urges.

I'm not saying that we are justified in treating animals poorly. I'm saying that we don't need a doctrine of rights in order to do so. Why not operate under an empathetic ethics that refigures "rights" as the space projected by our cognitive capacity to understand that other organisms experience pain. This space doesn't actually exist, it simply allows for a mediated association. An animal doesn't have "rights" any more than a human does. We, however, have a capacity to understand pain in a cognitive way that other animals don't have. This alleviates animals from having to operate under the presumption of "rights" while still encouraging humans toward an ethical treatment of animals.

I just think the argument of rights-based ethics is misleadingly foundational. Rights don't originate in an organism; but the atavistic notion of rights that emerges from such arguments suggests something absolute, which in turn puts animals under scrutiny for not operating according to such rights.

I argue against mistreatment of animals for two reasons, neither having to do with rights:

1. Mistreatment of animals (whether through torture through physical abuse, or through "Mad Doctor" methods of CAFO operations) creates a food source that is rendered significantly reduced in nutrition, as well as introducing many potential toxins to the body.

2. Mistreatment of animals, being fleshly creatures, hardens the ability to empathize and respect life in other forms (to include humans). A eagerness to brutalize other living things is usually not limited to non-humans. Joel Salatin of Polyface Farms (for an example) rotates butcher duties to keep one person from becoming "a butcher".

I'm not talking about some intrinsic rights here. You're getting too caught up in literature/philosophy, post modernism. We're talking about abstractions that we use everyday. You sir, have rights, you apply them everyday. They exist. What next? No right or wrong?

Why must we apply rights to my actions? You can't tell me that I have rights, if it's my "right" to assert my own "rights"; do I have the right to deny myself rights?

I don't have a right to life; nor do I have a right to personal freedom, nor do I have the right to own a gun. I may do these things, or I may not. Why do my actions have to be understood as acting upon rights that are absolute and inalienable, hence unchangeable? Why can't what we understand as "rights" simply emerge from ethical interaction among individuals?

The assertion of rights as "common sense" or simply practical or natural (which is how you seem to be approaching it) frightens me, since it precludes the possibility that "rights" may one day be obsolete.

I doubt that Jones is a fake. Sure, he has gotten a little wackier with time, but he was wacky as hell well before he was famous. There just happen to be a lot of suspicious people out there who are looking for the big bad wolf to point their finger at for their problems, people of whom Jones gels with very well.

This is basically what I'm saying.

I don't follow. The guy is obviously an astute business man (or he has some excellent silent partners directing the enterprise). Infowars/Prison Planet has grown to be quite the polished, self contained media outlet since it's early days as a pretty much spam text only website.

He's doing exactly the same thing as other talking heads have done, except he's doing it alone instead of riding a network like the O'Reillys and Jon Stewart's of the media world.

I don't see the "conspiracy" angle behind that, other than maybe an internal one. Of course I leave the COINTELPRO option open for an actual "conspiracy" option.

Why does this preclude him from genuinely believing what he says? I just don't buy your whole "he's a phony" line of reasoning. There's no reason to it, just conjecture.

I agree. Animals in their fullest state of "consciousness" (or lack thereof) are driven by instinct. An example I would use for differentiation between humans and animals:

I can place myself in the shoes of another person, and wonder what it would be like to feel the drone strike, the lash, etc. If I place myself in the place of an animal, I can no longer "know". I am merely driven by instinctual urges.

I argue against mistreatment of animals for two reasons, neither having to do with rights:

1. Mistreatment of animals (whether through torture through physical abuse, or through "Mad Doctor" methods of CAFO operations) creates a food source that is rendered significantly reduced in nutrition, as well as introducing many potential toxins to the body.

2. Mistreatment of animals, being fleshly creatures, hardens the ability to empathize and respect life in other forms (to include humans). A eagerness to brutalize other living things is usually not limited to non-humans. Joel Salatin of Polyface Farms (for an example) rotates butcher duties to keep one person from becoming "a butcher".

It seems that we agree more than I thought, then.

Why must we apply rights to my actions? You can't tell me that I have rights, if it's my "right" to assert my own "rights"; do I have the right to deny myself rights?

I don't have a right to life; nor do I have a right to personal freedom, nor do I have the right to own a gun. I may do these things, or I may not. Why do my actions have to be understood as acting upon rights that are absolute and inalienable, hence unchangeable? Why can't what we understand as "rights" simply emerge from ethical interaction among individuals?

The assertion of rights as "common sense" or simply practical or natural (which is how you seem to be approaching it) frightens me, since it precludes the possibility that "rights" may one day be obsolete.

You can deny yourself those things. No one else should. Obviously they emerge when there is chance of interaction. You wouldn't have a conversation/concern about rights if there were no other people to interact with.

Why does this preclude him from genuinely believing what he says? I just don't buy your whole "he's a phony" line of reasoning. There's no reason to it, just conjecture.

Well he certainly could. I just find it unlikely.

How can I deny myself something that is inalienable?

You have the right to it. You don't have to exercise that right. You may choose to shackle yourself, commit suicide, etc. You could even arrange for someone else to do it for you (assisted suicide for instance). Voluntary. It boils down to self ownership.

You're saying the right is absolutely necessary; but if I own myself, then supposedly I can divest myself of all rights. How is this possible if those rights are absolutely necessary?

You can move the money around into different risk/yield funds at least. You could also roll those over into a Gold IRA.

Eh, I moved it into the highest grossing fund like 3 years ago and it's still #1, don't see the point in anything but forgetting about it until im 60, and then buying hookers and blow like the grandpa in Little Miss Sunshine