Dakryn's Batshit Theory of the Week

Well, the "fetishism of commodities" is a Marxist phrase that carries a ton of connotations, so it's difficult to talk about in its entirety. What I think it means, in this context, is that making hedge bets of the sort found in derivatives reconstitutes the relations between individuals as purely financial (i.e. the social relations between individuals are "concretized" in the form of "abstract" investments). Especially since people involved in such risky enterprises might never actually meet one another, this seems to characterize the situation fairly well.

Also, Jimmy; I didn't mean to drag us away from your animal discussion, but I'm reading this book for class. You might look into it:

k6543.gif

Oh it's no big deal. I didn't really have much more to add to the discussion anyway. I'm pretty sure you guys know all the talking points. Just read a review for that book and I'll definitely check it out.

Especially since people involved in such risky enterprises might never actually meet one another, this seems to characterize the situation fairly well.

Not only this, but we are actually at the point where not only do people involved not meet each other, due to the replacement of human traders with computer algorithms, often people aren't even doing the transactions either. It's algorithm on algorithm war.

Very cool, I share his sentiment. I stopped eating breakfast a while back, maybe 8 months ago, and switched to protein shakes mixe with whole milk and supplemented with powered breakfast mix and raw egg. It takes me a few minutes to throw together when I'm not in a hurry, a little over a minute if I am, and it keeps me full longer than breakfast did before.

That's actually a pretty sober take on Chavez, especially coming from Žižek. He gets a bit idealistic at the end (come on; "Maybe Chavez really died of having too big a heart"?), but overall I think he makes some decent points. It's fair to consider the possibility that Chavez envisioned a political mode that was incompatible with globalism.

I also personally believe that a leader in that position can entirely believe the views he espouses (that's bait for Dak :cool:).

That article was probably bait for me. I'm not sure if I feel like responding again given Chavez has his own thread and I already responded in that. He made the country poorer and the poor stayed poor. IF he had a big heart, he was a classic case of "some of the worst things done are with the best of intentions".

"In other news, Americans have been complaining about mechanical birds swooping out of the sky and snatching their Big Macs out of their hands.

When questioned about the matter, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said it was part of an initiative, inspired by Michelle Obama, to improve American eating habits."

Another blog post; this time on Tom McCarthy's novel Remainder.

What's sad about it?

Also, for those interested, the whole thing is now posted on YouTube:

Chomsky and Foucault:

Last edited by a moderator:
the 50th annaversary of JFK's death is this year

and Dallas City Council/6th Floor Museum are really making a big deal about it