Dakryn's Batshit Theory of the Week

I understand supply and demand, but I'm just saying there needs to actually be a demand. Translations of the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili into Yiddish might be in short supply, but doesn't mean someone can charge outrageously for them because there isn't a demand.

There is a huge demand for guns, and one of the primary reasons is that people are paranoid.

I understand supply and demand, but I'm just saying there needs to actually be a demand. Translations of the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili into Yiddish might be in short supply, but doesn't mean someone can charge outrageously for them because there isn't a demand.

There is a huge demand for guns, and one of the primary reasons is that people are paranoid.

Ah I see what you're trying to get it. I think it's possible that there is a level of paranoia in some portion of buyers. But paranoia is, by and large, a subjective evaluation. Some people think those who exercise and attempt to eat "right" are "paranoid". But, for the sake of argument, let's agree that there is a significant level of some objectively defined paranoia that is influencing the desire for guns themselves, already taking into account that prospective limitations will change buying habits as addressed in Part 1 of that video series.

So what?

So nothing, really; I was simply interested in the claim that paranoia wasn't a driving factor behind increases in gun purchases.

Somewhat (un)related:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...of-that-gun-regulation-doesnt-work/?mobile=nc

A study of Chicago’s gun market (which, incidentally, concluded that tight enforcement of Chicago’s gun ban and restrictions significantly disrupted illegal gun markets) found that most of guns in high-crime neighborhoods entered through a small, tight network of suppliers and middlemen: “Gun suppliers report that 60-80% of their sales are negotiated through brokers (we assume the 80% figure) and by our own estimates gun suppliers account for around half of all gun sales in the GB community.” Because most criminals weren’t comfortable going out of their neighborhoods to buy guns, and Chicago had no gun stores in the city, they relied on this network to get them guns from outside of Chicago.

Mathiäs;10597395 said:
Holy shit, some useless watered-down loophole-filled legislation MIGHT pass. Better buy absurd quantities of guns/ammo/rations.

The South'll rise ag'in!!

So nothing, really; I was simply interested in the claim that paranoia wasn't a driving factor behind increases in gun purchases.

Somewhat (un)related:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...of-that-gun-regulation-doesnt-work/?mobile=nc

Behold, the invisible hand!

I hate to pull an m_c, but your comment made me recall this gem from The Onion: http://www.theonion.com/articles/continued-existence-of-edible-arrangements-disprov,19856/

:lol: Now this reminds me of the several times where people on my FB who are still, I guess, new to the internet, see some headline from the Onion or duffelblog and get all kinds of upset (cause it's real!).

http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/04/marine-celebrates-historic-six-month-marriage/

http://www.duffelblog.com/2012/05/coast-guard-finally-shoots-something/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/apr/15/the-you-are-the-government-canard/

Let me just emphasize that I don't agree at all with this article. I think that attempting to draw some arbitrary distinction between what counts as "the government" and what doesn't is absolutely ridiculous (not to mention impossible), and I think it's absurd to accuse Obama of blame-shifting. He can't even be blamed for most of what goes on in governmental policy, so proposing that he can even be blamed in the first place only serves to perpetuate the cult of personality.

He can be "blamed", as in held responsible, for what comes out of his mouth, to include when that pushes various policies. I agree with the article as it relates to the title. The government is not "us".

But neither is it the officials we want to blame, who are themselves merely citizens. You can't draw these distinctions so simply. The government is not a clearly discernible entity that lurks behind the curtain.

Just as an initial response, I'll say that I don't see appeals to originary documents or people - the Constitution, the Founding Fathers, etc. - as legitimate arguments either in favor of, or against, gun regulation. We can interpret ad nauseam, but the truth is that the country the Founding Fathers were writing about was very different than the one we live in today.

But I still want to read those articles, so I'll give them a glance later.

Interested to see what you guys think about these articles that take a different approach to why the 2nd amendment exists instead of the typical 'defense against tyranny' one that is often used.

http://smirkingchimp.com/thread/thom-hartmann/47507/the-founding-fathers-versus-the-gun-nuts

http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread...nd-amendment-was-ratified-to-preserve-slavery

Just as an initial response, I'll say that I don't see appeals to originary documents or people - the Constitution, the Founding Fathers, etc. - as legitimate arguments either in favor of, or against, gun regulation. We can interpret ad nauseam, but the truth is that the country the Founding Fathers were writing about was very different than the one we live in today.

But I still want to read those articles, so I'll give them a glance later.

Well, to begin with I sort of concur with Pat, that appeals to documents are purely of a legal nature, rather than a "right and wrong" nature, which is how they get construed. Secondly, I have a very Spoonerish (Lysander) position regarding the Constitution: It's a "damnable" document. Obviously the 2nd amendment was not broadly seen by the FF's (maybe Jeffersonians being a possible exception) as something meant to be turned at the institution they created, whether immediately or in the future. So in that respect I "agree". The Sedition Act(s) and the put-down of the Whiskey Rebellion ought to be contextual proof enough of that.

Now for the articles. So much truth and bullshit woven together it's very :erk:. The most obvious example is where he says "Hitler didn't take the guns". Well no, they weren't taken from everyone. Just the Jews, you know, the ones wanted dead. Also, suggesting that the Boston Tea Party wasn't violent is using a very strict definition of violence. It was destructive, and certainly not peaceful, but supposedly no one was hurt.

That keeping the slave population under control was one of the reasons for the 2nd Amendment is probable, but less interesting when you figure that they weren't the only property, and that the same reasons people needed to be safe from a slave uprising was the same reason to be safe from anyone wishing them harm (whether justified or not). However, the more interesting point of taking this angle (which I don't doubt played some part), is the fact that gun control is rooted in preventing blacks from getting weapons, just like marriage licenses were to prevent mixed marriage.

Prohibition flows from elitism, it is slavery. Slaves weren't allowed x/y/z, to include guns, and then again after being "Freed" if at all possible. Why do people insist on trying to put themselves "on the plantation"?

Boston is shut down.

Bombing suspects apparently robbed a convenience store, hijacked a car, and ambushed officers last night. One suspect was killed, the other is at large. It seems that they were trying to detonate more explosives, from what local news can tell. All public transportation is suspended, universities are closed. No vehicle traffic at all in and out of Watertown and surrounding neighborhoods. BPD and SWAT are out in full force, and all residents are advised to stay indoors.

This bullshit is seriously fucking with the end of my semester.

A quote to stir up some controversy.

"Owning nothing to society" comes from arguments Hobbes and Locke constructed about humans in a "state of nature" before market relations arose. Because ownership of oneself is is thought to predate market relations and owe nothing to them, it forms a foundation upon which those relations can be built, as when one sells one's labor for wages. As [author of The Political Theory of Possessive Individualism: Hobbes to Locke] C.P. Macpherson points out, however, this imagined "state of nature" is a retrospective creation of a market society. The liberal self is produced by market relations and does not in fact predate them.