Dakryn's Batshit Theory of the Week

Conspiracy theorists attempt to reduce the intentionality to specific intra-governmental actors without accounting for the way the entire system might, in fact, inspire two lone bombers to blow up a bunch of marathon runners.

That's an inaccurate reduction of "conspiracy theorists". "Blowback" is, although a CIA term, something that is commonly referenced by people labeled as "conspiracy theorists" and other similar pejoratives. If the incident is indeed the work of two loners (or even working in affiliation with "terrorist groups", it's merely an example of blowback. Which is caused by government policy.

If power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely (which I'm not granting you, since that's a highly ideologized premise),

I see it as rather empirical.

"Empirical" doesn't mean it isn't ideological. Much of what counts as ideological is derived from the senses.

And my reduction isn't inaccurate; it's the common critical interpretation of what conspiracy theories do. They allow people to representationally account for events in a system is unrepresentable. Some of the best thinkers of our age have accounted for this trend in conspiracy theories.

Finally, something to go toward your point: NBC is reporting that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is "unable to communicate." Apparently he is so wounded that we may never be able to orally communicate with the victim. Now THAT raises some serious fucking questions.

Finally, something to go toward your point: NBC is reporting that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is "unable to communicate." Apparently he is so wounded that we may never be able to orally communicate with the victim. Now THAT raises some serious fucking questions.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the other. Not that the reduction isn't accurate in some cases. Merely that it isn't as a blanket assessment.

Yeah, like why is he wounded? I read that there is already suggestions that he "attempted suicide". Why would you run and hide before/after attempting suicide.....and after having supposedly partied the night before??

Anyway, my point about the absolute lack of critical thinking applied to news coverage is cased-in point by the amount of argument proliferating over the web about whether or not the guy should be granted due process (since some argue terrorists shouldn't get due process)....Problem: How do we know he is in fact a terrorist without due process? Because the CIA/FBI/DHS/Men In Black say he is? Well then why the fuck do we need due process for anything then? He has gone from "Suspect" to "Terrorist" in 24-48 hours, and a sizeable portion of America is already demanding due process be ignored because of what some talking heads have said.

Nevermind that if indeed the FBI knew this guy/knew about these guys, and they indeed did carry out a terrorist attack without any sort of government involvement: How fucking worthless are US "counter terrorist operations"? So why should we believe anything they have to say?

There's no credibility from official sources or media regurgitating those positions no matter how many ways you look at it.

Carlin is an underappreciated philosopher, just because of his medium of choice: Comedy. He cuts through to the point: The planet is fine. It's what we do to ourselves in the name of saving ourselves.

I'm somewhat surprised you posted that, Jimmy, considering your previous concern for animal welfare.

I don't find that bit philosophical at all. It might be pseudo/pop-philosophy, but not much more. Carlin makes the claim that species will continue to disappear at the same rate whether we behave the same or not. He conveniently avoids specifying whether he means individually, or as a whole; if the human race drastically altered its behavior (unlikely, probably impossible), it could very well decrease extinction rates. It's no secret that we are perpetuating extinction rates by our activity.

Now, this doesn't mean that those extinctions/declines are artificial. Such a claim rests on the premise of a division between humans and nature, and this is a completely imaginary distinction. Humans are a part of the environment, no matter how much we wish to call ourselves otherwise. There are, however, far more ethical and practical reasons to pursue preservation tactics, and these still stand regardless of the fact that ultimately we're a part of nature and the earth itself doesn't give two shits about us.

I think the point is that the rate of extinction is going to average out anyway whether its human or asteroid or pole shift caused or whatever. This current extinction rate is a blip on the totality of time.

Also the fact that these concerns are anthropocentric.

What I meant is that your recognition of yourself as an "I" is predicated on your ability to recognize others. The "we" exists prior to your ability to conceive of yourself as an individual.