Dakryn's Batshit Theory of the Week

Not sure I follow. I don't believe I've insinuated that a sender needs a receiver, or where I even used that language.

I'm sorry, that's how a interpreted

Calling them "sound waves" still implies that you anticipate a hearing creature

especially in light of previous discussions of language/communication.

I'm perplexed as to why you think that way. I'm not rejecting reality at all. You're only privileging the studies that you find to be particularly relevant to your line of work. I'm just trying to maintain a speculative attitude in order to attempt the most rational approach. I don't know where you're getting all this divorcing of rationality from empiricism. Nowhere have I said that we should ignore our senses; merely that they something deeper about the unknowability of reality, and that we have to consider this lack. The moment we forget about it is the moment irrationality truly begins.

Well of course we can keep it in the back of our minds "lolz we might just be in the Matrix", but it's not necessary to drag it up every time the empirical approach brings up something we don't like. Better first to attack any weakness in the particular studies than to resort to a Matrix-critique/defense.

Maybe it isn't. I made an assumption. That last passage sounded like accelerationism, and I have trouble keeping accelerationism separate from conservative notions of capitalism.

So the abandoning of caution you are referring to is accelerationism? If the D&G approach is correct, then "caution" concerning accelerationism is pointless anyway. We are merely the tools of tools.

A longer time preference means reducing the privilege of today over tomorrow, which is manifested by foregoing consumption now so that you may either have it to consume tomorrow, or if done enough, you will have saved enough to create higher order goods, or capital goods, etc. (those are not necessarily the same thing).

Material technology at this point are higher order goods and require capital goods - so Austrian (and probably classical in general) economics explains how humans enable the production of technology and accelerationism disagrees with the classical telos in favor of technologically directed end.

This sounds very similar to something along the lines of: "There's nothing wrong with taking something from someone. That's merely how it is."

Which doesn't strike me as something you'd say.

Pulling this over here: I don't see any similarity in subject matter.

Not to derail anything, but Ein, could you recommend a few essential texts on speculative realism? The movement (if it can even be called that; I know Brassier despises the tag, haha) has interested me for a while, but I'd like to get around to exploring some primary texts and whatever commentary has been done on them.

I'm sorry, that's how a interpreted

especially in light of previous discussions of language/communication.

I see. I wasn't implying that a receiver is necessary at all; I merely meant that calling them "sound waves" exposes the acculturation already present in your language. If you use this term when talking to something (which does anticipate a receiver), then it stands to reason that you anticipate a creature that will understand what you mean by "sound" (or "wave" for that matter).

Well of course we can keep it in the back of our minds "lolz we might just be in the Matrix", but it's not necessary to drag it up every time the empirical approach brings up something we don't like. Better first to attack any weakness in the particular studies than to resort to a Matrix-critique/defense.

I think the "Matrix" argument is a simplistic version of it. The Wachowski Bros actually admit to borrowing directly from Jean Baudrillard's Simulation and Simulacra for that movie; but their representation is a vulgar version of it. In the introduction to that book, Baudrillard writes:

"It is nevertheless the map that precedes the territory - precession of simulacra - that engenders the territory, and if one must return to the fable, today it is the territory whose shreds slowly rot across the extent of the map. It is the real, and not the map, whose vestiges persist here and there in the deserts that are no longer those of the Empire, but ours. The desert of the real itself."

The Wachowskis were clearly inspired by this passage, even borrowing terminology from it ("Welcome to the desert of the real..."); but Baudrillard is not suggesting we're in some simulated computer program. In the world of The Matrix, there is something behind the mask. There is a veritable wasteland of human history - war, violence, and death, a stormy realm of pure earth and stone where nothing exists except machines and the manipulated shells of human bodies.

Baudrillard would laugh at this, because in his version there's nothing behind the "mask"; in fact, the mask isn't a mask. When he says that simulacra precede the real, he means that we are already born into a world of inscription and language. There's no getting behind the signs and simulacra, no hope of discerning an original specimen, organism, or material. Everything is always-already tainted. It has nothing to do with an actual conspiracy to blind us to reality, and everything to do with our failure to distinguish between the two.

The reason for this failure is simple: representation assigns categorizes that do not subsist in the real, but will always appear to subsist for linguistic organisms. Our classifications and namings will never succeed entirely. Hence Deleuze & Guattari's, and Land's, anti-representationalism.

So the abandoning of caution you are referring to is accelerationism? If the D&G approach is correct, then "caution" concerning accelerationism is pointless anyway. We are merely the tools of tools.

A longer time preference means reducing the privilege of today over tomorrow, which is manifested by foregoing consumption now so that you may either have it to consume tomorrow, or if done enough, you will have saved enough to create higher order goods, or capital goods, etc. (those are not necessarily the same thing).

Material technology at this point are higher order goods and require capital goods - so Austrian (and probably classical in general) economics explains how humans enable the production of technology and accelerationism disagrees with the classical telos in favor of technologically directed end.

Well, accelerationism has burgeoned into different schools of though; some Marxist, some neoreactionary. Land has distanced himself from this in recent posts (I think), but it still bleeds through sometimes.

Accelerationism itself isn't throwing caution to the wind; but Land's suggestion - "eat it all today because tomorrow it might belong to the other team" - seems to contradict longer time preference. It seems to forego the symbiotic possibility in favor of simply encouraging humans to pursue all ends without second thought.

Pulling this over here: I don't see any similarity in subject matter.

Presumably, African Americans are descended (or the majority of them are) from someone who had something taken from them in the past. This was never remedied, and its ramifications are clearly a partial cause of contemporary social conditions.

EDIT:

Not to derail anything, but Ein, could you recommend a few essential texts on speculative realism? The movement (if it can even be called that; I know Brassier despises the tag, haha) has interested me for a while, but I'd like to get around to exploring some primary texts and whatever commentary has been done on them.

Good to see you back around here!

Quentin Meillassoux's After Finitude kicked off the movement. I believe Meillassoux is as equally dismissive of the term, however; whereas Brassier has actually spoken about it, Meillassoux has chosen to simply remain silent. But his book is very good, very short, and very accessible. Not a sentence is wasted.

Other than that, Brassier's book, Nihil Unbound: Enlightenment and Extinction is really interesting although ultimately misdirected. Even he has noted this; it basically rehashes a lot of disparate arguments and draws them together very well, but doesn't make much of an original point.

One very original and innovative thinker who has been lumped in with the bunch is Manuel DeLanda. I've read his book Philosophy and Simulation, which is good; but he's more well known for his book on Assemblage Theory, which draws from Deleuze and Guattari (who seem to be pretty influential overall in the movement).

There's a collection of essays called The Speculative Turn: Continental Materialism & Realism. Meillassoux and Brassier have some essays in it, as do several other contemporary thinkers who are skeptical of the movement, so it provides a nice overview of the pros and cons. DeLanda has a really good essay in this collection. And even better, it's available online open-access:

http://re-press.org/books/the-speculative-turn-continental-materialism-and-realism/

Cheers! After Finitude has been on my "to-read" list for a couple of years now, but I think it helps that I've become more familiar with the continental school of thought, have some Heidegger under my belt, and finally managed to trudge through Being and Event. That anthology looks excellent; I'll have to work through it soon. Unfortunately, I'm still totally ignorant of Deleuze (even though my favorite professor fawns over him) and Guattari, so I think I'll get familiar with them before I try out DeLanda. Many thanks for the recommendations.

Accelerationism itself isn't throwing caution to the wind; but Land's suggestion - "eat it all today because tomorrow it might belong to the other team" - seems to contradict longer time preference. It seems to forego the symbiotic possibility in favor of simply encouraging humans to pursue all ends without second thought.

Ah, I see where the confusion is. That's part of the critique of Democracy - eating it all today before the next group gets it is demotist.

To requote:

Political agents invested with transient authority by multi-party democratic systems have an overwhelming (and demonstrably irresistible) incentive to plunder society with the greatest possible rapidity and comprehensiveness. Anything they neglect to steal – or ‘leave on the table’ – is likely to be inherited by political successors who are not only unconnected, but actually opposed, and who can therefore be expected to utilize all available resources to the detriment of their foes. Whatever is left behind becomes a weapon in your enemy’s hand. Best, then, to destroy what cannot be stolen.

Presumably, African Americans are descended (or the majority of them are) from someone who had something taken from them in the past. This was never remedied, and its ramifications are clearly a partial cause of contemporary social conditions.

Everyone is descended from someone(s) who had something taken. The only "remedy" is now out of reach - those originally wrested from their homes and families cannot be restored. What has "kept the black man down" is not the position of their great great grandfathers and mothers, but the last 50-100 years of the "new white man's burden" dogooderism. It has had the same effect on Native American Indians, and impoverished peoples in other parts of the world. The stripping of agency and atrophy of ability. Capitalism for me, welfare for thee. It's another way of buying out the competition/potential competition.

Ah, I see where the confusion is. That's part of the critique of Democracy - eating it all today before the next group gets it is demotist.

That makes more sense. That's what happens when one doesn't read closely.

Everyone is descended from someone(s) who had something taken. The only "remedy" is now out of reach - those originally wrested from their homes and families cannot be restored. What has "kept the black man down" is not the position of their great great grandfathers and mothers, but the last 50-100 years of the "new white man's burden" dogooderism. It has had the same effect on Native American Indians, and impoverished peoples in other parts of the world. The stripping of agency and atrophy of ability. Capitalism for me, welfare for thee. It's another way of buying out the competition/potential competition.

This is true, and I sympathize with anyone whose material conditions are directly affected by their ancestors, or the treatment their ancestors suffered.

I suppose I just find the historical fact of slavery, and the historical fact of its economic impact on, and impoverishment of, people of a very distinct race/ethnicity, and the historical fact of its incredible nearness in proximity to our contemporary period to be sufficient reasons for some kind of selective action.

I suppose I just find the historical fact of slavery, and the historical fact of its economic impact on, and impoverishment of, people of a very distinct race/ethnicity, and the historical fact of its incredible nearness in proximity to our contemporary period to be sufficient reasons for some kind of selective action.

Even if selective action only exacerbates the problem?

There are options of selective action that wouldn't exacerbate the problem. It doesn't help that an ideology of liberal self-betterment and Western democratic capitalism has inhibited any true effort to "re-enfranchise" African Americans.

I say keep trying. It's better than leaving them out to dry.

There are options of selective action that wouldn't exacerbate the problem. It doesn't help that an ideology of liberal self-betterment and Western democratic capitalism has inhibited any true effort to "re-enfranchise" African Americans.

I say keep trying. It's better than leaving them out to dry.

"Western democratic capitalism" could arguably be identified as an inhibitor of "re-enfranchisement" - by the consistent application of selective action. But what does "enfranchisement" include or consist of?

An ideology of self betterment, though, or "seizing the locus of control" (the psychological term), is the only way forward on an individual basis regardless of ancestry.

When I identify an "ideology of self-betterment," that shouldn't be understood as an attack on self-betterment itself. I have nothing against self-betterment, and I encourage people to pursue their own interests and put these to applicable social use.

When I describe self-betterment as becoming an ideology, what I'm referring to is when liberal individualism/self-betterment is appealed to by ideologues in order to resist any attempts at relinquishing even a bare minimum of individual autonomy in order to provide for those in need. Something becomes an ideology when we begin applying it to situations in order to rationalize certain behavior.

Belief in god or some form of deity is not an ideology until the belief experiences widespread appeal in order to justify annihilating those who don't believe in said god.

It's natural to resist coercion, and coercive redistribution isn't charity. I don't see a widespread denigration of charity except by those that want others to foot the bill - via coercion.

Rejecting something being done coercively is not the same as rejecting it's being done at all - and it's equally ideological to believe others should be forced to "help" others the 3rd party wants "helped".

We've already experimented with a cornucopia of forced redistribution to those less fortunate, and the success stories are the anomalies. "Once in the projects, always in the projects". Mortgages for people with no credit or no jobs, etc. (Fannie & Freddie). Food stamp usage is rising, not even remaining even.

The bottom line is that it's really difficult to make someone want "it", and helping someone who doesn't want help is a waste of time for all involved at best. If "it" is given to them, even in limited measure (but consistently), the slightest leverage for organic change is lost. This is the merging of behavioral psychology and economics.

I don't object to any of that.

Except maybe that it's natural to resist coercion. I can think of instances in recent history where the most natural thing was the acceptance and concession to coercive measurements.

But that doesn't mean the acceptance of coercion is right; "natural" doesn't always translate into, or correlate to, "right."

Cheers! After Finitude has been on my "to-read" list for a couple of years now, but I think it helps that I've become more familiar with the continental school of thought, have some Heidegger under my belt, and finally managed to trudge through Being and Event. That anthology looks excellent; I'll have to work through it soon. Unfortunately, I'm still totally ignorant of Deleuze (even though my favorite professor fawns over him) and Guattari, so I think I'll get familiar with them before I try out DeLanda. Many thanks for the recommendations.

If you've read Being and Event then you're in good shape to read After Finitude. Meillassoux borrows from Badiou's conceptualization of infinite sets.

I've become fascinated with Deleuze and Guattari's Anti-Oedipus. Absolutely incredible text.

"natural" doesn't always translate into, or correlate to, "right."

You probably wouldn't like how I would apply my agreement with this :cool:.

In other news:

Land has come out strong against the Dialectic. To discuss is to not exit, and he has already stated he considers the dialectic as nothing more than ratchet leverage (my phraseology).

I don't get it. So the dialectic is nothing but discussion; some philosophical perversion of dialogue? The dialectic doesn't mean an interrogation and ceaseless questioning of the purported facts?

Hayek was a dialectician in many ways (which is, furthermore, why he is a far more interesting philosopher than Mises).

Reducing the dialectic in that way doesn't even make sense; he's dialectically countered the dialectic. That's the beauty of the dialectic.

Dialectic.

An interesting website predicting the future. Read it with a pinch of salt.

http://www.futuretimeline.net/index.htm

Welcome to the future! Below, you will find a speculative timeline of future history. Part fact and part fiction, the timeline is based on detailed research that includes analysis of current trends, long-term environmental changes, advances in technology such as Moore's Law, future medical breakthroughs, the evolving geopolitical landscape and more. Where possible, references have been provided to support the predictions. We also have a blog covering the latest news and breakthroughs. FutureTimeline is an ongoing, collaborative project that is open for discussion – we welcome ideas from scientists, futurists, inventors, writers and anyone else interested in future trends.

An interesting website predicting the future. Read it with a pinch of salt.

http://www.futuretimeline.net/index.htm

Ha! At the very least, it's quite entertaining.

Part of my graduate work is understanding how literature responds to concepts of historiography. Science fiction plays a big role since it attempts to approach history in new ways (i.e. via the future); so I'm always interested when theorists, writers, or popular books, movies, or websites contribute to that conception of "history."