Dakryn's Batshit Theory of the Week

We were before World War I and the country got along just fine..

Hello? Spanish American War? That happened purely because we wanted to play catchup with the other imperialist nations. Essentially the opposite of isolationism. And before we started messing with Latin America we were fighting the Civil War, which kind of forced us to mind our own affairs exclusively.

And we can't be there to do that. We have enough problems in house than to be dealing with other country's problems. I disagree with the UN's actions in Kosovo, but I don't disagree with the U.S. for complying with the UN. It's what we're supposed to do.
I can understand trying to keep countries such as Iran and N Korea in check, but that falls under the umbrella of isolationism. Isolationism doesn't mean we completely cut ourselves off from the world, it means we deal with others when it affects us, and we don't when it doesn't.

Hello? Spanish American War? That happened purely because we wanted to play catchup with the other imperialist nations. Essentially the opposite of isolationism. And before we started messing with Latin America we were fighting the Civil War, which kind of forced us to mind our own affairs exclusively.

The S-A War was still to benefit us, granted it was against the ideal principles of isolationism. Still, it supports my claim that we should only get involved in conflicts that would benefit us.

Also, there were 100 years before the Civil War and if you remember correctly, it was our traditional policy of isolationism that kept us from entering WWII for so long.

And we can't be there to do that. We have enough problems in house than to be dealing with other country's problems. I disagree with the UN's actions in Kosovo, but I don't disagree with the U.S. for complying with the UN. It's what we're supposed to do.
I can understand trying to keep countries such as Iran and N Korea in check, but that falls under the umbrella of isolationism. Isolationism doesn't mean we completely cut ourselves off from the world, it means we deal with others when it affects us, and we don't when it doesn't.

And when would we ever be immune to the actions of other countries? We're kinda part of a global power structure, you know. We're committed to playing a role in that balancing act.

We were committed to keeping the peace in Iraq? We were committed to making sure Vietnam wasn't Communist? I'll give you Kosovo because that was a UN decision, which if we're going to be a part of, we must abide by. But I don't see how we were committed to these other things.

Also, there were 100 years before the Civil War and if you remember correctly, it was our traditional policy of isolationism that kept us from entering WWII for so long.

Before the Civil War the US was still a very young nation still developing. It was more concerned with expanding westward across the continent. One of the main reasons we took up imperialism in the late 19th century is because we ran out of North America to expand into. And regardless, we were too weak militarily to compete with the Euros in the decades before the Civil War. We only won the Mexican War because Mexico itself was even younger than the US.

And we only developed the isolationist philosophy out of necessity to take care of our own mess during the Great Depression and then trying to avoid throwing American lives down the drain like we did in WWI.

Indeed, but we never chose sides with European conflicts. We tried to maintain trade with both nations every time without moral or political affiliations. That would only be violated if one of the warring countries did so.

And we only developed the isolationist philosophy out of necessity to take care of our own mess during the Great Depression and then trying to avoid throwing American lives down the drain like we did in WWI.

Exactly like we did with Vietnam, and we are now in Iraq.
Also, it may not be the Depression, but the economy is heading into a serious recession right now.
These are the exact reasons I support isolationism.