Dakryn's Batshit Theory of the Week

Bernie is huge on building up the infrastructure, gimmedats would automatically be reduced if people got work.

Bernie policy makes sense if he actually said educated labor force is the only real employer in this modern global economy, but he won't say it/doesn't believe it

Bernie is huge on building up the infrastructure, gimmedats would automatically be reduced if people got work.

Not when they get expanded in tandem.

Bernie policy makes sense if he actually said educated labor force is the only real employer in this modern global economy, but he won't say it/doesn't believe it

His positions on education are possibly the worst thing about him.

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/04/the-illusion-of-reality/479559/

Hoffman: We’ve been shaped to have perceptions that keep us alive, so we have to take them seriously. If I see something that I think of as a snake, I don’t pick it up. If I see a train, I don’t step in front of it. I’ve evolved these symbols to keep me alive, so I have to take them seriously. But it’s a logical flaw to think that if we have to take it seriously, we also have to take it literally.

I think this is pretty much the synthesis of a sort of meta-argument between Pat and I, although I always got the impression Pat discounted the seriousness which the potential ir-reality presents (unfortunately Pat isn't visiting these days to defend his position). To extend the metaphor used in the article: Just because the icon on the pc desktop is only a representation of the file, which in no way describes or represents to me its true "itness" if you will, the underlying itness is gone if I delete it (or at another level of gone, incinerate the hard drive).

“Useful as it is under ordinary circumstances to say that the world exists ‘out there’ independent of us, that view can no longer be upheld.”

It's literally mind boggling that things react in space when they are observed and do ??? when not observed.

It's cool that Hoffman is channeling David Hume though

Hume was born first!

But I haven't read anything by Kant

Kant responded to the problems that Hume raised by introducing intersubjectivity. Although what Hoffman is talking about isn't completely in alignment with the way Kant described intersubjectivity, but it's pretty close. Basically that we can't know the "thing in itself", but that we can know what we can all agree on. It's a compromise between empiricism and Hume's problem of induction, and appears to be right on a certain level.

Last edited:
Reactions: rms
Well, I figure this is as good a place as any to make a return post.

I think this is pretty much the synthesis of a sort of meta-argument between Pat and I, although I always got the impression Pat discounted the seriousness which the potential ir-reality presents (unfortunately Pat isn't visiting these days to defend his position). To extend the metaphor used in the article: Just because the icon on the pc desktop is only a representation of the file, which in no way describes or represents to me its true "itness" if you will, the underlying itness is gone if I delete it (or at another level of gone, incinerate the hard drive).

This is a great article, and one that I think everyone should read and grapple with. In fact, the issues he's expressing occupy a central position in the work I'm doing; some of it even serves as the topic of my article coming out in July. These findings have serious implications for the study of narrative and narrative theory (after all, if observation designates a dilemma of perspective on "truth," can there be any such thing as a reliable narrator?).

As far as my own position goes, I can't think of any issue I have with taking representations "seriously." My only reservation derives from the apparent faith in evolutionary development, which even Hoffman seems to be wary of, despite his admission that we have no choice but to trust it. In short, I'm not sure that consciousness even qualifies as an acceptable fitness function, at least if we're expanding our scales here. Consciousness may be adequate for the social environment at hand, in which technology assures relative security/safety; but even then, we can barely wrap our brains around the algorithms that dictate those technologies. More than anything else, more than providing representationally efficient images of the world around us, I would say that consciousness allows for security by constructing the impression of control, without requiring us to actually map the terrain.

Kant responded to the problems that Hume raised by introducing intersubjectivity. Although what Hoffman is talking about isn't completely in alignment with the way Kant described intersubjectivity, but it's pretty close. Basically that we can't know the "thing in itself", but that we can know what we can all agree on. It's a compromise between empiricism and Hume's problem of induction, and appears to be right on a certain level.

I think this is a scientific recapitulation of the Kantian dilemma, but I think there's a contemporary intellectual more appropriate for the current terminology, and that's Niklas Luhmann. Kant is like the specter we can't get away from - forget Hegel and Marx, the crucial dilemma really comes back to Kant, and this is where Luhmann comes into play. In a way, the dilemma of Luhmannian systems theory isn't strictly Kantian because I think Luhmann would say it isn't about individual choice or belief - it's about necessity, and I think that Luhmann and Hoffman both understand this as evolutionary necessity (Kant didn't have the evolutionary paradigm to work with). But the model of Luhmannian systems theory definitely owes its organizational structure to Kant.

Ha, thanks. I really just needed to dig my heels in over the past few months and was spending a bit too much time here. At this point I've met all my (current) deadlines, so I felt comfortable reactivating my account.

Reactions: CiG and Dak
https://judithcurry.com/2016/04/10/twilight-of-the-climate-change-movement/

I bolded the statements I found most insightful, here are my favorites.

Uncertainty about risks is not necessarily fatal to a policy of precaution, and but false claims to certainty usually are, sooner or later.

The distinction between “more than half” (the IPCC summary’s of scientific literature) and “all” or “nearly all” is crucial from the point of view of public policy.

Reactions: Einherjar86
That's a good write-up. That climate change has become a "movement" is a bit regrettable in itself. The widely circulated criticisms and accusations are restricted almost entirely to the political/public sphere, which is a shame because that's where most of the more intentional equivocations are made. People like Ted Cruz claim that climate change is a "conspiracy" directed by liberal politicians, because it's easier to make those accusations when you can point to a politician who fudged the numbers. It frustrates me when people accuse scientists of lying of deceiving, though; because, as the author of that piece mentions, the scientists aren't cooking up imaginary numbers. They're making observations which then get interpreted and presented in certain ways.

Climate change is suffering the same bankruptcy of public knowledge that cultural theory is, the latter in the guise of the SJW movement.

Because subtlety is lost on the masses. They simply can't do better for one reason or another.

Yes, but it isn't the fault of "the masses" no matter how much we want to blame them (those hopeless swine). Ultimately, it's too easy to make a high/low cultural divide. I think it has more to do with failures of communication between various sectors of the social.

Well I did say for one reason or another. I don't like the word "blame" though, for all the baggage it carries. Bearing responsibility even partially can be simply matter of fact without some measure of disgust delivered along with it. I assume the swine comment was tongue in cheek. I certainly don't see it that way (more like pity). Regardless, at different levels of intelligence, no amount of "good communication" is going to have the desired effect, for different reasons.

Last edited: