Damage Inc.

What a disgrace...these people didn't even know who Metallica were until 2 days ago....

KORN, LIMP BIZKIT, SUM 41, and AVRIL LAVIGNE have signed on to take part in MTV's METALLICA "mtvICON" special, according to Billboard. As previously reported, the event, to be broadcast May 6 by the music network, will find artists performing METALLICA's songs and saluting the group's influential career. METALLICA will perform during the finale of the taping.

In conjunction with the show, MTV.com is sponsoring an Ultimate Fan Contest, which will award one winner a trip to the taping. The web site is also encouraging fans to upload their own METALLICA photos and share stories about their experiences with the group.

METALLICA's new album, "St. Anger", arrives June 10 via Elektra. As previously reported, the set will come bundled with a bonus DVD, featuring the band playing each of the album's 11 tracks in a live setting.

I feel it is my duty to comment on this "load" of crap...

1. Avril Lavigne is a whore. This has been discussed on a similar thread at AA or MSR, I can't remember. What in the fuck does that skinny little bitch or Fred Durst know about Metallica?

I can let Korn slide because they are the originators, not the copycats of their sound. But I'm still not interested in their interpretations of classic songs. If this is what Metallica inspires out of people then God Save the World.

To be fair to Metallica, I highly doubt if they had a say in which bands would pay tribute. However, with this line up, I doubt if they would complain. Having 7 million Avril Lavigne fans pay attention would have them rubbing their hand$ together in glee.

Agreed on Korn - the first Korn album is great in any case. I saw them supporting Metallica a few years back, and they did a live rendition of "Reign in Blood". It was pretty good I'll admit.

JayKeeley said:
To be fair to Metallica, I highly doubt if they had a say in which bands would pay tribute. However, with this line up, I doubt if they would complain. Having 7 million Avril Lavigne fans pay attention would have them rubbing their hand$ together in glee.

Agreed on Korn - the first Korn album is great in any case. I saw them supporting Metallica a few years back, and they did a live rendition of "Reign in Blood". It was pretty good I'll admit.

I have an interesting Korn related story... I'll tell it some time. I really think they are metal at heart. I just think they've gotten a little lost in the sea of imitators which is a shame...

Papa Josh said:
I have an interesting Korn related story... I'll tell it some time. I really think they are metal at heart. I just think they've gotten a little lost in the sea of imitators which is a shame...
No, Korn is horrible now. THey just keep regurgitating the same thing over and over again. The debut was dark and heavy, everything after has been plagued by phat beats and funky bass lines. They are certainly lost at $ea....

About Metallica, don't believe this hype. This is typical. how many times have we heard the same thing? Seriously, I am getting tired of these cliches of "return to roots", "hardest material to date", and other such load$. Metallica suck now, and people need to accept it. I bet the people who believe this article are the same people who thought 'The World Needs a Hero' was a "return to roots" for Megadeth.

Stop the madness!

*finally feels safe to admitting he likes Korn's first CD*

Actually I started a thread in the Non-Metal forum here about Korn, half the replies were somewhat positive, the other were teenage flamers.

Avril Lavigne sucks, I saw her and her crappy band live once (I didn't pay for the ticket and I got free beer, that's my excuse) and it was uninspired rehashed tripe. Boring boring boring. What does she have to do with Metallica?

Dreamlord said:
I bet the people who believe this article are the same people who thought 'The World Needs a Hero' was a "return to roots" for Megadeth.

Oh man, TWNaH was their worst record ever. I could not believe Megadeth fans claiming that to be their return to greatness. Had they never heard Peace Sells or So Far So Good...?

I doubt it - you see, we live in a world where people judge metal by what they've heard in the last five years. You have to filter that shit out even in the metal community.

You know, however bad Risk was, I think TWNaH was a little worse.

But the argument is moot since it's like comparing constipated peanut-filled turd with curry-house splatter diarreah.

The same point could also apply here, because so many people had their expectations significantly reduced by Load/Reload (or Risk) and everything in the intervening period, any return to metal, however half-assed or otherwise compromised, would be openly welcomed by their more forgiving fans and/or trend-conscious critics should the rumoured nu-metal influences apply...

Dreamlord said:
Metallica suck now, and people need to accept it.
yep. theres so much better metal out there, why bother? i dont even listen to old metallica anymore. or maiden. or iced earth. or any of that 80s style outdated subpar stuff. all those bands use the same fucking chords/progressions/notes in all their shit. its all the fucking same. look at some guitar tabs from 'somewhere in time' and all the fucking lead melodies are in the same spot. and then you have iced earth and metallica that use the same 5 chords for every single fucking album theyve ever made. those bands are for 16 year old kids learning to play guitar.
-neal

Taken from the almighty MTV.com (which I heard about on the Testament forum by the way..)

On their upcoming St. Anger, Metallica have settled for living in the past — and odds are fans are going to be perfectly happy with that.

Gone are the radio ballads, straightforward rock anthems, string-laden exorcisms and alternative experiments that many fans felt bogged down the band's music in recent years. On St. Anger, the band resurrects the primal power, musical self-indulgence, whiplash-inducing tempos and red-eyed rage of their first three albums, 1983's Kill 'Em All, 1984's Ride the Lightning and 1986's Master of Puppets .

The band's last two studio LPs — Load (1996) and Reload (1997) — were written at a time when alternative and grunge were still prevalent, and both were laced with Southern boogie groove, country-rock textures, bluesy experimentation and melodic ballads, abandoning the trademark force that made Metallica the world's preeminent metal band.

Since then, the bandmembers haven't exactly been prolific. They've toured, released the B-sides and covers album Garage Inc. and a live double disc with the backing of the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, S&M.

But there's been little new material, as Metallica spent more time in the courtroom than the studio, filing lawsuits against companies that infringed their trademark, including file-sharing service Napster, Victoria Secret, a tuxedo company and a wheel company. Metallica may have won their legal battles, but their vehemence made them appear greedy to some. Top that off with the January 2001 departure of bassist Jason Newsted and frontman James Hetfield's stint in rehab and it looked like the masters of metal had slipped off the rails.

With St. Anger, Metallica have firmly re-established their footing and recaptured the heavy metal throne at a time when bone-crunching rock is becoming stagnant. All 11 songs on St. Anger are brutal and uncompromising, featuring double-bass drumming and hardcore blast beats, roaring blowtorch guitars and multiple rhythm and tempo shifts. Most are at least seven minutes long; right when you think the guys are building up to a climax, they shift into a completely new rhythm. Not one track features a guitar solo, yet there's no lack of dizzying sonic firepower.

At the same time, Metallica incorporate numerous flowing melodies and engaging vocal harmonies between crushing grooves and chugging, staccato rhythms. "Shoot Me Again" blends Alice in Chains-style atmospherics with savage, percussive grind, and "Dirty Window" seesaws between another speedy firestorm rhythm and a textural, undistorted passage that sounds a little like Tom Waits.

Throughout the disc, Hetfield sounds consumed by fury and on the verge of insanity as he rails about the horror of denial, the pain of self-doubt and his need for control. Many of the lyrics seem to address his battles with the bottle and drugs. On the tornado-swirl opener, "Frantic," he screams, "My lifestyle determines my death style," and on "Sweet Amber," a track fueled by stop-start rhythms and sludgy guitars, he howls, "She deals in habits/ Deals in pain/ Run away, then I'm back again."

Bob Rock's production on St. Anger matches the album's desperate, intense vibe. The man who gave the group such a commercial sheen on their best selling disc, 1991's Metallica, keeps things dirty and raw. Not only does the disc capture the urgency of St. Anger's creation, it sometimes sounds like it was recorded during a colossal jam session in a garage. The drums have a tinny ring, the guitars a vicious echo and sometimes Hetfield's voice sounds a tad unpolished.

As Metallica were working on St. Anger, they clearly felt like they had something to prove. "I hurt inside/ I hide inside, but I'll show you," Hetfield sings on "Invisible." That conviction provided incentive to — as Hetfield so eloquently puts it on "All Within My Hands" — "Kill, kill, kill, kill, kill."

"With St. Anger, Metallica have firmly re-established their footing and recaptured the heavy metal throne at a time when bone-crunching rock is becoming stagnant. All 11 songs on St. Anger are brutal and uncompromising, featuring double-bass drumming and hardcore blast beats, roaring blowtorch guitars and multiple rhythm and tempo shifts. Most are at least seven minutes long; right when you think the guys are building up to a climax, they shift into a completely new rhythm. Not one track features a guitar solo, yet there's no lack of dizzying sonic firepower."

:yow: :eek: :worship: :guh: o_O :OMG:

Someone pinch me, there's no way in the world this is possible. I'll still take JayKeeley's approach however and not purchase blind. I need to remind myself that Metallica STILL chose to tour with Limp Bizkit & friends this Summer, which still represents the corporate rock mentality.

Promising, but wait and see is a philosophy that must be adhered to. I will NOT give into to the hype. I'll take someone like Demonspell's word anyday over some MTV journalist.

neal said:
yep. theres so much better metal out there, why bother? i dont even listen to old metallica anymore. or maiden. or iced earth. or any of that 80s style outdated subpar stuff. all those bands use the same fucking chords/progressions/notes in all their shit. its all the fucking same. look at some guitar tabs from 'somewhere in time' and all the fucking lead melodies are in the same spot. and then you have iced earth and metallica that use the same 5 chords for every single fucking album theyve ever made. those bands are for 16 year old kids learning to play guitar.
-neal

Dude. Everything has been done, so your argument about these bands not doing something new... :ill:

Show me something and 99% of the time I can show you where it's already been done. Having done my homework, these bands are like a history lesson.

Anyone see the cover of Taint Anger yet? It's on the official page...I just knew they would slap something resembling the old logo on it, that and the premature reviews are the perfect fishhook (pun intended) for the extraordinarily gullible. :)

Aww come on! It might be shit, and it might be great, but anything needs to be listened to before you can make up your mind.

It's just as bad as Opeth fans saying their every release is the best thing ever before they've even heard it!!

OK here is the cover art:

Cover_A.jpg