Damn, I can't do high growls with my diaphragm...

Jun 23, 2004
I think I can do the deep growls with my diaphragm, but on the high ones it always sounds like a chicken sings :erk:

Is there anyone who knows this problem or someone who could help me? What am I doing wrong?

What do you mean, what kind of?

for example like:

naglfar
Dark Tranquillity
In Flames (on the later albums)

instead of high growls you could also say, black metal growls or screams or whatever...

Has this answered your question?

Some people just can't do some things, but practice, and if you still can't do it, then just adapt the ones you can do into your music as best as possible. Me, Im a fan of the lower growls anyway.

Don't use your diaphram for highscreams. When your doing lows, you can just open your mouth wider for the desired effect, but for highs, it's a completely different area of your throat. Just shift your muscles like your going up an octave while screaming.

Melodeath said:
OT: what are those pics of Death's Acre?

Death's Acre is the name of my band, and the pics were just things we had found online to get ideas for albums covers. Got quite a ways to go before I finish though... But yeah, anyway I just like those pics the best of what we found so I made them my sig and avatar. Beat the crap out of that white thing I used to have.

that's awesome because I myself am in a one-man band and I had a vision for an album cover, and that pic looks very similar to what I saw in my head.

Death's Acre said:
Don't use your diaphram for highscreams. When your doing lows, you can just open your mouth wider for the desired effect, but for highs, it's a completely different area of your throat. Just shift your muscles like your going up an octave while screaming.

Okay, thanks a lot. I'll have to try this out.

But how do you mean: change your muscles like when going up an octave?

The techniques for getting the sounds of those three bands are actually pretty different. Later In Flames especially is completely different in approach to the other two. But you should still be using your diaphragm for both, or else shit's gonna get fucked up. You get more power that way anyhow.

Anyway, if you want a higher growl along the lines of Naglfar, try doing your normal low growl and ascend it until you reach the pitch you want. It's hard to describe, but you can sort of feel the sound moving up your throat as you do it. You're gonna wanna be able to do that anyway, because it sounds cool.

Later In Flames screaming is a lot different from the other growl. You need to use your throat a little bit more to really hit those higher pitches. And it doesn't feel the same as a regular growl. This might sound stupid, but try making a really exagerated "wow" kind of sound, at like a whispering volume level, and get a feel for just getting your vocal chords as high as they can go that way. Then just work on slowly raising the volume, and then push as much air out with your diaphragm somewhat forcefully while making that sound. I know it sounds kind of dumb, but it worked for me.

One other thing, for those really high pitched screams, you're gonna need more volume then you do for the growls. At least I do.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Ravaging Dragon said:
Okay, thanks a lot. I'll have to try this out.

But how do you mean: change your muscles like when going up an octave?

well, if you've ever tried singing you can change the octave of your voice by shifting your throat around. So try singing a few clean pitches... then switch to a higher octave. Hell, go falsetto for all I care. Then try to do a similar motion with the throat while singing. You'll immediatly notice the air hits a completely different portion of the throat, and if any of your voice slips through it's gonna sound quite different then you might be used to. I don't know though, a lot of people aren't as confident in differen't octaves as others, and it's tough to explain over the net.

Okay, thanks for your tips so far. I will try them. except yours, chris-o-fer ^^

I also tried a few other techniques by myself and have a question about my technique:
I found out, that it works okay for me, when open my mouth wide, and use the throat for the scream. But since this isn't very healthy and sounds a bit weird, I use more air and my throat only a bit. I'm still practising to come along with very little use of my throat AND little use of air, so that I can scream longer.
Have you any tips how i could save air? When I use my diaphragm for this, I can sing about 6 words or so, before I have to breathe in again...