Damnation - The Lyrics

Vehemens

The Wayfarer
Mar 18, 2003
New Zealand
www.myspace.com
Hey

Kind of a dumb question...but I just want to talk about it anyway! Does anyone know if the lyrics in the songs on Damnation were inspired by personal experiences of the band, or are they just songs without any meaning as such?

Because to me some of the lyrics (especially in 'Hope Leaves' and 'In My Time Of Need') seem to be (quite obviously) dealing with sadness and loss. Things turned to shit for me and I was pretty sad so all I listened to for like a week was Damnation. Haha then the anger and frustration set in and my cd player circulated Slayer - God Hates Us All and Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill.

Then I dyed my long hair black and bought a long black coat...it's wicked! I think my parents got a bit worried though hahahahaha.

Yeah, Im pretty sure the songs that Mike wrote lyrics for himself on this album were pretty meaningful, and about loss like you said because I think his grandmother died at that time, so I think that is what In My Time of Need is about. Probably the album with lyriCs most closest and connected to the band.

You're entitled to your opinion about the hair and the coat...personally I like it but each to his own. But anyway the inspiration came from The Crow not The Matrix.

Someone probably has too much time on their hands to be thinking of special 'relationships' between Deliverance and Damnation, but it does kinda make sense about the whole boy-girl thing. Still, too much idle time available to some.

Vehemens said:
Someone probably has too much time on their hands to be thinking of special 'relationships' between Deliverance and Damnation, but it does kinda make sense about the whole boy-girl thing. Still, too much idle time available to some.

Like those that want to know what exactly inspired the lyrics behind it, those who listened to nothing but Damnation for a week and those that walk around in dyed black hair and long black coats.

Vehemens said:
You're intitled to your opinion about the hair and the coat...personally I like it but each to his own. But anyway the inspiration came from The Crow not The Matrix.
It's really okay as long as you don't wear spikes all over.

Anyways, I think all of the songs explain emotions. Nothing really happens...

Judas Pissed said:
Like those that want to know what exactly inspired the lyrics behind it, those who listened to nothing but Damnation for a week and those that walk around in dyed black hair and long black coats.

Haha that's true I guess. All I was doing is trying to start a conversation about an album that obviously has lots of meaning. Where's the problem with that as this is a place to talk about Opeth and their albums.

Vehemens said:
Haha that's true I guess. All I was doing is trying to start a conversation about an album that obviously has lots of meaning. Where's the problem with that as this is a place to talk about Opeth and their albums.

No problem, I just thought it was weird that you wanted to discuss an album in depth while saying that anyone who compared it to Deliverance had too much time...