Dan SWanö gear part 666

cenzu

Ain't that a bitch.
Nov 13, 2001
Finland
www.cenzu.com
I was thinking, as there is a ton of questions about Dan's gear all the time.
What If you lovely people would help out, if you wouldn't mind
summing up some of the gear Dan's used during the years, and all kinds of technical info on recording and mics and shit.

Of course, all help from Dan, Dag and Erik would also be welcome :saint:

I'll could put it up on www.swano.net and we'd get a sort of knowledge base.??

just a thought. :rolleyes:

All I remember was seeing some video of the band recording as a live band in a studio and I think Dan was using a Peavey 5150! (I hope this is true, because I have that amp and it would be awesome to be using the same amp he used once!!!)

Dan Swanö;6247387 said:
internet cannot carry all the information bout all the gear I've had thru the years ;)

Have you got any tips with the 5150? I can't get it to stop making a very low hiss sound when I'm playing with distortion. I'm also completely in the dark when it comes to tube replacement (when to do it, what do buy, etc.) Any help would be sooo appreciated from some one as experienced as yourself!

I am only using the 5150 as a power amp. My crunch comes from the almight analog/digital BOSS GT5. I have my 5 power presets that takes me thru any NG gig. I used it for the Wacken gig also but then with a HM2 in the GT5 loop. From what I heard you can modify the 5150 to shut it up a bit. Surf the net and I am sure you will find a solution...

Dan Swanö;6249376 said:
I am only using the 5150 as a power amp. My crunch comes from the almight analog/digital BOSS GT5. I have my 5 power presets that takes me thru any NG gig. I used it for the Wacken gig also but then with a HM2 in the GT5 loop. From what I heard you can modify the 5150 to shut it up a bit. Surf the net and I am sure you will find a solution...

Hm, that's strange to me. Because I the distortion of the 5150 is one of the most used in metal, and I heard the clean channel isn't that good.
But then again, your results are often pretty good :)

@karpsmom
Many people use a tube screamer infront of it and distort there slightly and then distort more with the amp.
A lot of infos are here on UM in the Andy Sneap board!
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap-151/

I also use the same equipment playing shows but with the GT6 instead. Works fine I think.
Would be cool if you could give me your presets to compare them with mine.

The new album sounds very good by the way!!!!!!

The deal with GT5 v/S GT6 is..

GT6 - No spillover.....of delays etc.
GT6 - no analog distortion, only the cosm stuff. Not good until GT8...
That one rocks, but no spillover...I love my spillover!!!

So what do you think of GT8? I want to get a really good distorted tone. Something punchy, tight, with some brightness and color. Something just really well rounded. I'm going crazy with it right now.

hey Dan, do you know how many guitar/bass/synth layers you mixed or worked with on diabolical masquerade's - nightwork or death's design? or is it normal for you to work with lots of layers on some sessions?

Can someone help me? I remember Dan said which mic he used for the White Darkness vocals. Can't find the post. I think it was his Audio Technica mic. But which one is it again? AT 4040? AT 4030?

i can find this but i dont think it's about mics...

I use the Plate 140 reverb from UAD. If there is some delay on the voice (only in a few spot on the whole LP) it is just a basic delay with a Ping pong setting, nothing fancy. The vocals were tracked with an ATM4033 thru a Presonus Digimax using the smileybutton and a little splitband compression from that unit, then some UAD-1 1176 and De-esser and Cambridge EQ

i can't find any post of dan mentioning 4040 or 4030 or technica.