Dan, what do YOU think of your own voice?

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
At least half a dozen people come here on your forum to compliment you on your amazing vocal abilities, emotive singing, deep and dark tone of your voice, etc.

I sure am one of them and still consider you among my top 3 vocalists of all times.

I was wondering one thing though: how do you like your own voice? Do you ever go like 'man here I'm singing killer' or 'I love my growls on older EOS records' or 'my voice on the new version of TBS is so much better'?

Is there ever anything you'd have different about your voice? Is there stuff like 'I wish I could hit higher notes or hold my voice longer'? Just curious. :)

Good question. I actually like the sound of my own voice these days. I always wanted to sing with a lot of feeling and really sound like I was "someone". But during my early years in Unicorn anything that sounded selfconfident was a bit "hardrock" so I was told to sing "straight" with not so much vibrato or feel. It wasn´t until I did the Nightingale stuff that I got friendly with my own voice. I still wish I had an octave higher to go. All my favestuff is waaayyyy beyond me in range. I tried to put together a medley one time, for a spur of the moment karaoke, all the songs had to be lowered 5 wholenotes for me to sing them properly, and the backingtrack sounded awful, so the idea was flushes...so...I like my voice. I don´t like my technique...but I don´t practise anything or drag my ass down to the vocalcoach, so I will have to live with the fact that vocalrecordings will be a drag....now I have A.C. in vocalbooth, so the singingsessions will be less of a saunaexperience, which is good!!!

Thanx for asking

Interesting question and answer.

Yes, some rock and metal singers have an incredible range and I always ask myself how it works to get that high with the "normal" voice.
Dan, why are your vocal recordings a drag? Do you need a lot of takes to be satisfied? I mean, live it's pretty good, and thats under extreme conditions.

....To this other thread with the Second Sky singing..... I'm not so confident with the more aggressive style also. But it's good to try things out. :)
Can't tell how curious I am about Second Sky......

You know, Dan, if you want to extend your range, i find the best singer to sing along to is Daniel Gildenlow of Pain Of Salvation. His head voice goes so FRICKEN high, but he doesn't usually just hide up there, he's got absolute control of everything from the lowest of low to highest of high, and often in a song he does melodies which slowly work up (over the course of a minute sometimes) to the really high stuff, so it's actually a great "test" for the voice heh. I'm not monumental singer, but singing along to Pain Of Salvation records really did a lot for my technique. Anyway, i've always loved Dan's voice, on pretty much anything he's done, and so does my girlfriend. She simply ADORES Emotional Wasteland (as do i!)

Mumblefood said:
You know, Dan, if you want to extend your range, i find the best singer to sing along to is Daniel Gildenlow of Pain Of Salvation. His head voice goes so FRICKEN high, but he doesn't usually just hide up there, he's got absolute control of everything from the lowest of low to highest of high, and often in a song he does melodies which slowly work up (over the course of a minute sometimes) to the really high stuff, so it's actually a great "test" for the voice heh. I'm not monumental singer, but singing along to Pain Of Salvation records really did a lot for my technique. Anyway, i've always loved Dan's voice, on pretty much anything he's done, and so does my girlfriend. She simply ADORES Emotional Wasteland (as do i!)

Agreed. Daniel Gildenlow is a machine. Listen to the stuff he can do with his voice on the live cd 12:5. Absolutely incredible.

Dan is just my favorite, followed by Mikael Stanne of Dark Tranquillity. Dan has to be one of the main growling influences out there, yet nobody has come close enough...

I agree i just started getting into some of dan's work and man this guy is a mastermind his growls/clean vocals all of his projects are kixx azz

I think the most important thing for a rock or metal singer of any sub genre is to have alot of character in their voice. Technical skill helps to develop this character but sometimes it isn't necessary, some singers just have a natural timbre in their voice that works. Thats where i see Dan's voice.

I'd much rather have a unique voice full of character like Dan's than a generic power metal Dio wannabe warble.