Daniel's drumming on TGCD

griev0r

Here is Nowhere
May 13, 2007
Florida
So I've probably listened to Katatonia's latest about 100k times by now. Fucking fantastic album, but everytime I listen I think how great his drumming is on it. I'm a drummer but not a very good one, it's not like I only listen to the drumming but I always tend to notice it on TGCD because its so unique. And this is coming from someone that didn't really like his drumming too much on the 2 albums before this.

Anyone else notice a huge jump in awesomeness from Daniel from VE to the latest record as well?

Well anyways, fan-fucking-tastic job Daniel! :worship:

Yep, his drumming on LFDGD was very awesome. Really like that style. He played good as well on the Viva record, but on TGCD he really shines. I'm curious as to what he will be doing on the next album.

i totally agree he is a great drummer ..i think he fits well in the band i love the torbid stuff he did in chrome.. powerfull and not too much technical to be boring!

I also agree the drums were a lot better on LFDGD than Viva, seemed a little over the top on VE.

My favorite as far as drumming has got to be Journey Through Pressure, love what he did with that song.

Yeah Daniel is one of my fav drummers atm and has been for a quite time already. Im a drummer myself too.

I have been thinking about Daniels drumming lately too, the hard but also technical drumming and smart use of cymbals in "Leaders" (especially at the intro melody) is playing in my mind very very often. Daniel is an excellent drummer, great concepts, great sound, technique and dynamics. Looking forward the new albums drumming for some new inspirations and ideas from him.

Agree, especially on "Leaders". I can't get enough of that intro..not sure what he does right with the drumming there, but it's just something I think about very often and just love listening to. There's more of course Dissolving Bonds and In The White also just does it for me somehow. If this gets better with each record...well, then I'm a happy person!

I also agree the drums were a lot better on LFDGD than Viva, seemed a little over the top on VE.

My favorite as far as drumming has got to be Journey Through Pressure, love what he did with that song.

Not to be an ass, but that was Peter Damin playing additional drums there, which (I think) really made the groove what it is

Not to be an ass, but that was Peter Damin playing additional drums there, which (I think) really made the groove what it is

Never knew about another drummer other than Daniel and Renske, sorry. I'm not too sure what you mean by additional drums, but I don't see any Peter in the credits in Katatonia's wiki.

Never knew about another drummer other than Daniel and Renske, sorry. I'm not too sure what you mean by additional drums, but I don't see any Peter in the credits in Katatonia's wiki.

there's a way that goes back many many many years to find this out and it's even possible to obtain that offline (wow!): how about looking in the album's booklet?

Never knew about another drummer other than Daniel and Renske, sorry

Also Dan Swano in "Tonight's Decision" if you didn't already notice. I admit i also didn't know about the additional drums in "Journey Through Pressure", are we talking about all those rimshots? :kickass:

Also Dan Swano in "Tonight's Decision" if you didn't already notice. I admit i also didn't know about the additional drums in "Journey Through Pressure", are we talking about all those rimshots? :kickass:

Yeah I would think that Daniel Just played the straightforward accents on the ride cup and the basic beat, while Peter played the 16th notes (groups of three: 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 etc. the 1's being the accent Daniel plays) on ride and does those snare accents.
Just guess though. Daniel, if you read this, could you tell us something about it?