Dark Fields for Brilliance

Phoenix5

d3v4s7a710n
May 14, 2005
Nebraska
So, this week, I've been listening to 'To Welcome the Fade', and I realized that I absolutely love this album. The songs Broken, Lost In a Day, Torn, and Dark Fields for Brilliance just have a majestic sound/feel for me. This is such an amazing album that for some reason had just gotten buried among my collection, but has very quickly made its way back into regular rotation.

Yeah, it's a very gloomy album with much introspection and things we all can relate to. This is pretty much the feeling I look for in depressive music, and Novembers Doom deliver that big time.

I think by posting those specific song I take away from the album. I find that when I start Not the Strong, that I have to finish the album. I do the same thing with Blackwater Park if I hate the 28 second mark of Leper Affinity, haha. I just can't get enough of TWTF lately.

I had a period like that as well. In terms of consistency that specific album is very strong, since every song is pretty much of the same quality. Everything from "Not The Strong" to "The Spirit Seed" and "Dark Fields of Brilliance" gives me shivers if I'm in the right mood, and that's gives TWTF damn good overall mark.

I just realized the climax in both Spirit Seed, and The Lifeless Silhouette. They are brilliant. It's funny the things you can pick by listening to an album over and over haha.

I used to get depressed at times( I was homeschooled and had mental problems) so whenever I would fed my sadness with music like this.

I never grew a pair to go out and do stuff, so I feel bad for some people that do, but I manage to intimidate them. haha.

To me that was your peak guys: back with the female vocals and a piano. Right now it's so different, I felt the pale haunt departure had a different mood, one that was hard for me to follow, but I liked it, now its all power metal-y, like the faster drown the inland mere, exept for the part where it slows down and gets all 50's "into this darkness I forever hold my loss...." it's so very similar to"I live in a dark world... where no light..." you get my point, I don't love that, I love the words you come up with, and maybe you feel its necessary to put that there, and I dont mind it but its not something I'm a fan of.
When I first heard Dark Fields For Brilliance, it was harder than it is now, but I really like the guitar solo at the end, nowhere else will you find stuff like that..... its also good for those who fail at love,(not talking to the girl that makes your heart race) or just want to avoid being cheated on or jealousy.

It will always remind me of my highschool days, you guys rock, you deserve to be the new Guns N roses or AC/DC. fuck the 70's, long live the 00's

You're right Tharuzz. Dark fields for brilliance is a really good song! i especially like the part when Paul sings " Her cold smile haunts the aftertought... follow my voice , we'll run far away from here" I also like the guitars on the song.
I alway try to play it for myself but i'm not good enough:)

But i think The Pale Haunt Departure is better than TWTf because it combines fast parts (for example in " Dark world burden") and slower parts like in"The dead leaf echo". So it's a good mixture of everything i like on Novembers Doom:headbang:

So I hope The Novella Reservoir will be even better than TPHD :)

"say what?" is my sentiments exactly....

To generalize and say that it's "all" power metal-y is incorrect. "Dead Leaf Echo", "Through A Childs Eyes", "Autumn Reflection", and "Collapse of the Fallen Throe" all have little or nothing in common with power metal. In fact, they're all quite doomy and sad and melancholy in their own ways, not unlike "Dark Fields For Brilliance", just minus the female vocals, that's all. And with those four songs, you're talking about half of the album!!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I don't like when people so easily generalize things so inaccurately. TPHD has it's "In The Absence of Grace" and "Dark World Burden" tracks, yes.....but also has it's "Collapse.." and "..Childs Eyes", etc., to keep the balance of fast/slow, heavy/soft, etc., just as we always have. The new album is no different as you'll see when it's released. This one new track "Drown..." may be faster and more "power metal-y" in ways but you cannot judge the whole new album or the current overall direction of ND by one track.

Power Metal's characteristics aren't limited to the fact that the songs are typically up-lifting. Sure, that's one almost ubiquitous characteristic in Power Metal bands, but there are others. The use of a fast tempo and of constant double bass drums are other traits common in Power Metal, traits that the new Novembers Doom's albums seem to share in some way, which must be what Tharuz88 meant, in opposition to the majority of songs from TWTF which were slower and a little bit less harsh on the double bass drums, resulting in a clearer sound. Of course, the heaviness of the new album (soon to be albums), the mood and the use of growls make it pretty sure that no one will mistake ND for straight Power Metal.

There is also the possibility that Tharuz meant the old definition of Power Metal, which back then pretty much meant melodic thrash metal (also see US Power Metal), not the melodic, uplifting, proggy kind of metal we know it for today.

I hear what you're saying, Simon. But I still stand by what I said. Songs like "Autumn Reflection", "Dead Lead Echo", "Through A Childs Eyes" and "Collapse of the Fallen Throe", which makes up half of the entire TPHD album, are all just as dark, sad, slower paced and doom-related as anything on TWTF. We've left behind the romantic drawn out female vocal mellow parts, yes. That's the biggest difference I can see. And I'm more than happy that we've moved on. But anyhow my point still stands, people hear a song like "Dark World Burden" or "Drown the Inland Mere" and make a generalization about our overall direction and I hate that. But I can't change people's minds nor would I dare to try. But I can state my own opinion on the matter too, that's all. If people prefer TWTF and "Torn" and "Dark Fields..." then so be it, I'm glad they enjoyed it and have it to continue to enjoy. But I'm definitely not sorry to have moved on and try adding some new elements to the mix, even if some people cannot accept them.

I'm sorry if I implied agreement that it was all "power metal-y", I didn't think so, nor do I refuse to accept the change. Personally, I'd have taken one or two more albums of TWTF-like materials, but hey, I'm not in the band, and I'm glad to see that Novembers Doom is evolving instead of sitting on its past successes. I miss some of what was left behind (I was a big fan of the mellow, relatively light passages... I'm an admitted Torn fan :) ), but then I also love the new materials, which actually got me hooked on ND.

Anyway, I wish you all as much success as you deserve.. and I hope you one day will make a small stop by Montréal in one of your tours.

I'm a fan of our more mellow, light passages as well....there's plenty of those passages present on TPHD album. It's just not the majority, that's all. We'll never leave that part of us behind completely. We just prefer the current mixture we have going on now of heavy and light.

@Simon: Sorry,but I have to ask,are you in a Power metal band or something?...

Uh... no. I am a fan of power metal though (and melo-death, and doom, and prog, and heavy), but I'm by no means a musician, I didn't care for music at all until I started listening really a lot to metal one and a half years ago, so my last music class dates from elementary school. BTW, no relations either with the singer from Toronto named Simon Vallee.

Mind if I ask why you asked?

Simon Vallée;5643806 said:
Uh... no. I am a fan of power metal though (and melo-death, and doom, and prog, and heavy), but I'm by no means a musician, I didn't care for music at all until I started listening really a lot to metal one and a half years ago, so my last music class dates from elementary school. BTW, no relations either with the singer from Toronto named Simon Vallee.

Mind if I ask why you asked?

I just figured you know an awful lot about music,that's why I asked.. Thanks for the answer.. :)

Ehm..who is Simon Vallee,I haven't got a clue?