Dark Metal

Skepticism

Feb 14, 2006
I used the search and nothing came up for dark metal, so dont shit on me if there has been a thread before.

Anyways, what exactly is dark metal? Bethlehem? Katatonia? Aeturnus? Agalloch? Just make the statements and recommendations about it in this thread

Wikipedia said:
Dark Metal is a subjective term used to describe metal bands from various genres that have combined traits from symphonic black metal, gothic metal, doom metal, dark wave and black metal[1] such as synthesizer use, acoustic guitar experimentation and/or operatic female vocals. The music can be described as a atmospheric, melodic, more sophisticated sound within the metal genre, and sometimes also with progressive touch. The lyrics are often introspective and poetic. Some dark metal bands also often incorporating death metal influences.

The term is thought to have been coined by German Band Bethlehem, with their album Dark Metal from 1994.[2]

Other most important bands in dark metal genre, are Rotting Christ (mid), Thy Serpent, Deinonychus, Empyrium, Agalloch, Forgotten Tomb and Katatonia (early).

In a 2005 interview done by Barry Lee Dejasu for the magazine Modern Fix, John Haughm was quoted as suggesting Agalloch's musical sound was Dark Metal. "Sure, we have progressive and experimental elements but the root is Dark Metal." (Issue 54).

The term is often used by the media and fans to describe already known bands in various metal genres due to themes that are considered more dark. The term is also brought up by more recent underground metal bands seeking an atmospheric or darker approach in sound.

* 13 Winters
* Agalloch
* Ajattara
* The Amenta
* Antestor
* Avec Tristesse
* Bethlehem
* Dawn of Relic
* Empyrium
* Forgotten Tomb
* Hermit Age
* Katatonia (early)
* Rotting Christ (mid)
* Shade Empire
* The Old Dead Tree
* Throes of Dawn
* Thy Serpent

For Katatonia, the first album (and maybe Brave Murder Day) constitute Dark Metal. Everything else borders on Doom/Gothic Metal

I find "Dark Metal" to be an ambiguous and ridiculous of a term as say, "emo".

most Dark Metal bands as far as I'm concerned, are just Gothic Black/Doom bands anyways.

Darkspace's second album leans towards dark metal and less towards black. It's epic, try it.

For Katatonia, the first album (and maybe Brave Murder Day) constitute Dark Metal. Everything else borders on Doom/Gothic Metal
Eh no? The first album is doomdeath (and bmd too to some extent), the newer stuff are not doom in anyway not even close. Where did you get that from?

I used the search and nothing came up for dark metal, so dont shit on me if there has been a thread before.

Anyways, what exactly is dark metal? Bethlehem? Katatonia? Aeturnus? Agalloch? Just make the statements and recommendations about it in this thread
Cadaver's second album. Hard to say what it is actually. It's not BM really and kind of difficult to tag it as just DM. A strange hybrid of both. Dark death/thrash. I don't know.

Eh no? The first album is doomdeath (and bmd too to some extent), the newer stuff are not doom in anyway not even close. Where did you get that from?

Wiki (in the article I posted)

What the fuck is the stuff from Discouraged Ones to now? TGCD is more of a rock sound, but please enlighten me on what Discouraged Ones is.

Well DO - VE are not very metal either, so I would call it depressive rock. But DO has some shoegazing elements so if you insist on calling it metal maybe shoegazing metal? :p
TBH I'm not totally sure how to label it but atleast I know its not doom!