Darkglass B7K Ultra

@Crank : he bought the "regular" B7K last year, and now he wants to save up for this new "ultra" version.

From their website, here are the new features :
(1) A dedicated Footswitch to engage the overdrive section independently.
(2) A Master volume to control the overall unit level.
(3) Three way toggle switches for each mid control

So this new version is kind of a 2 channel thing (clean/dist), with some EQ switches for the mids added ?
Also, no XLR balanced output on this new version ?

The cool thing is that the price dropped a little for the "regular" version, at least here in FR/EU (from around 350€ to 300€).

Last edited:
Reactions: Crank
Yeah I've got one on order. I briefly had a B7K but sent it back because this got announced within my returns period. If you're in the UK I'd definitely recommend Bass Direct as good guys to deal with.

There is an XLR out on the ultra, the only thing missing is the parallel out.

For recording direct the B7K will be fine, the EQ is at the end anyway so technically you can EQ in the DAW for a similar result. The EQ points on the B7K are pretty well chosen to begin with. It has had a small price drop since the ultra was announced.

I wanted the ultra for live use. So far using the M80 which is cool but the annoying thing is the distortion has the colour button permanently engaged on the clean signal, meaning any clean signal blended in will have a big mid scoop, fine if you want a mostly distorted sound with a little clean low end but not so great for if you just want a little extra dirt blended in. The Darkglass blend doesn't mess with your clean signal. Tonally they're quite different too, the M80 is more of a standard distortion whereas the Darkglass is much crunchier.

As long as this still sounds like the B7K for recording with I'll be super happy.

Sorry, you're right about the Direct Output !
Weird... the version showed in the demo video doesn't have it. Maybe an early prototype ?
Anyway, on the pictures on their website, you can see it on the left of the bass knob : http://darkglass.com/creations/microtubes-b7k-ultra/

Think I'll be fine with the regular version for studio use.
I totally see the benefits of this new version for live use (being able to switch the distortion on/off with a footswitch is great).

You said you bought one last year then said you have to save up for it?

:S

TRUIE is correct, I bought the original B7K last year, but I'm possibly going to save up for the new version after a while. I'm fine with the current version, but I also see the good in the new version.

Just ordered the original version on thomann, it's largely enough for my studio use only, and the price drop was a cool bonus !
Can't wait to try it on my mixes ;)

What's the best place to order one in the US? I got my regular B7K from Bass Club Chicago (since I live in the Chicago suburbs) but they don't have the Ultra yet. I'm officially saving up to buy one within the next two months and I'm just curious what's the best place to order the Ultra.

I went the other way, I had an VT Deluxe (which I actually used live as a preamp into a poweramp to power an ampeg 8x10) but then later got an SVT-CL head and now have the B7K added to it. Much prefer the B7k, wish I would have waited and got the Ultra but now I'm thinking of waiting and getting their amp which has their B7K AND Vintage Deluxe built in and footswitchable. The VD gives more classic tones, the B7k way more modern. I think it's street is $1k and is 700watts.

I got mine.

I do like it but it does the Dark Glass BK sound and unless you like that then don't spend the money. The EQ makes it very versatile in terms of where it sits but the core tone remains the same as the other BK pedals (I've owned B3, B7 and ultra, all latest versions). I've directly compared the B3 into the EQ only side of the ultra and then used the distortion side of the ultra with the ultra EQ - to me they sound the same. For recording I'm not sure I'd worry about spending more because you can do additional EQing with plugins. Definitely for using with an amp having the switchable EQ points is helpful - but a lot of the time I think the standard points on the B7 are fine.

However we've got an RBI and VT DI and they're still getting used for recording. For gritty sounding fingerstyle I often prefer the RBI, though for pick playing I find the DG can sound tighter and more present (without going overly gritty) than the RBI. The VT covers a lot of ground and is probably the most versatile of the bunch IMO, but for grindy high gain tones it is my least favourite.