Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
DARKTHRONE – PLAGUEWIELDER
Moonfog Productions/The End Records - 2001

Visit the Moonfog website
Visit the The End website

By Rodrigo

Darkthrone’s Moonfog career has had it shares of ups and downs. The downs were Panzerfaust and Total Death, yet these two albums still shine brighter (or darker) than most other black metal offerings. But the level of supremacy that was reached in the band’s first few albums wasn’t reached. Luckily we find Norway’s evil duo in a definite climb to recapture that old glory. It started with Ravishing Grimness, an album that started exploring different ideas that weren’t perfected. Well the time is now for Darkthrone to place themselves once again as leaders of the black metal genre because Plaguewielder is an album that gives old classics like A Blaze in the Northern Sky a run for its money.

In Plaguewielder, Nocturno Culto and Fenriz offer us six songs filled with catchy melodies and capturing the old sound. While I never had a problem with the production of their past efforts, the production found in Plaguewielder is the sharpest and cleanest I have ever heard. The drums sound powerful, energetic and most importantly you "feel" them pounding your body, the sharp and raw guitars pierce your ears and Nocturno Culto’s raspy and jarring vocals are the epitome of evil. It is Darkthrone as we came to love them but it is also Darkthrone in a new era. The albums first track "Weakling Avenger" hits you squarely in the jaw after the hoarse spoken intro similar to the one in A Blaze in the Northern Sky. As soon as the double bass drums come in you know that Darkthrone is back.

The songs follow the same deliberate formula: long epic songs, gradual chord progressions and never once does it get boring. In fact you feel mesmerized and you never want the song to end. "Sin Origin", the only song penned by Fenriz, is one song that I wish could have kept going. Its close to seven minutes but the last two are simply distorted chords played and it feels like the song ends too early. Nevertheless it is still a great song but the best song is the final track "Wreak" and Darkthrone truly saved the best for last. The opening riff brings back the Transylvanian Hunger days but with the better production the grim and evil feel is accentuated more. It makes you feel cold and maybe scared but why do I keep listening to it over and over again?

The answer is fairly simple, because that is what Darkthrone does best and no band can match that chilling sensation. If that ever happens then kudos to the band that achieves it but until then we can rest assured that Darkthrone will always be there to provide that for us. Get your copy now and thanks to The End Records having North American distribution no one should have the excuse that they can’t get Plaguewielder.