Darkthrone-Too Old, Too Cold

Crimson Velvet said:
They are exploiting the black metal scene by mimicing its theatrics and image, and on Ozzfest, Shagrat supposedly said: "Do you want to hear some true norwegian black metal", before playing some silly new song from their newest album. They are repeatedly interviewed in documentaries that's about the black metal scene, and they show up, as if they're some sort of experts on the subject. So, in conclusion, they DO label themselves as black metal, because they know oh-so-very-well that that is what their costumers want.

I believe the term for bands such as this is "sell-outs".
That´s true. I saw some documentaries too. And when they are interviewed they repeat that they are black metal (they say somesthing more than black metal - which is true). And as far as I know, Shagrath used to say "Do you want to hear some true norwegian black metal" before In Death's Embrace not new stuff. (it´s still not true norwegian black metal, but we can label that black metal - symphonical leg)

because Shagrath call his band bm doesn't mean it's black.

Dani still call cof a black metal bands..... and he never was, not even in his demos.

Crimson Velvet said:
They are exploiting the black metal scene by mimicing its theatrics and image, and on Ozzfest, Shagrat supposedly said: "Do you want to hear some true norwegian black metal", before playing some silly new song from their newest album. They are repeatedly interviewed in documentaries that's about the black metal scene, and they show up, as if they're some sort of experts on the subject. So, in conclusion, they DO label themselves as black metal, because they know oh-so-very-well that that is what their costumers want.

I believe the term for bands such as this is "sell-outs".

Yeah, they only came out of the black metal scene so why wouldn't they be interviewed on documentaries? And so if Darkthrone or Emperor or Satyricon was to say something like "Do you want to hear some true norwegian black metal" during a tour, would that be any different? Neither one of those bands play true Norwegian black metal anymore. Yes, at one point were calling themselves black metal, and in anycase Darkthrone has done the same thing, after years of labelling themselves True Norwegian Black Metal, Darkthrone have finally decided to stop.

"We've always said we were a black metal band, but not purely a black metal band because we have so much more in our music, ya know? …If we were just black metal, we'd be painting ourselves into a corner and that's something that we won't do because we have a lot more to show than just our black metal roots." - Silenoz (recent interview)

And exactly who are they selling out to? That is such a meaningless statement since it has no merit whatsoever - to say that is nothing more than typical.

If they really wanted the black metal appeal and praise among BM fans, they would have changed their style to how it was on their first 2 albums instead of progressing outwards. So no, they are not selling out - their customers just want their music.

Also, they re-recorded Stormblast because they didn't like the sound production on that album. I've noticed that even For All Tid has better and clearer sound. Dimmu is a band that likes having good sound production, if that's not obvious.

DB has probably the best sound production in extreme metal.
I am not a friend with re-recorded Stormblast, new production harmed that old atmosphere. Dimmu primary re-recorded it becauste of rights - they haven´t money from the 96´ version.

In case of DB you have to think about 2 things more. First the greatest luck for an artist/songwriter is to live because you earn money from the hobby/job you do with passion. It´s naturally that the two songwriters of DB will keep this situation going on so they may change their style even when they didn´t noticed it by themselfs. It´s a matter of supply and demand, and if people DB than let them have ém.
Also I am sure they don´t give a fuck about someone labelling the band when they see how much records they still sell...

Erik said:
why are you lying? stop telling lies.

“The shit sound on the original (laughs). It’s been bugging us for all these years and we were basically waiting for the chance to…get off the original contract and re-record it. …It was originally released by an English label called Cacophonous. We were lucky we only signed for one album back then. That was probably the smartest thing we’ve ever done.” - Silenoz

Anyways, Fredy_Brown is right. They did eliminate the atmosphere of the original by re-recording it, like all bands do when re-recording their earlier material. I also like the original much better. The newly recorded version was alright, but easily my least favourite Dimmu album.

Of course they're not going to outwardly say that they primarily rerecorded for money, genius. Then even simple-minded droids would be able to tell that they've sold out long ago.

Dodens Grav said:
Of course they're not going to outwardly say that they primarily rerecorded for money, genius. Then even simple-minded droids would be able to tell that they've sold out long ago.
ugh yeah they have said it in interviews :rolleyes: maybe if the SEARCH FEATURE FUCKING WORKED (DERON!!!) i could find it because i've posted the quote about 398 times before. that was shagrath though i believe

no, it was silenoz.

Silenoz said:
"First of all, to get things straight. We don't want to re-record that album. But we are kind of forced to because of contract issues. We refuse to continue to get ripped off with that album, that's the case. We will not do a renewal or anything of the album. We will keep it as close to the original as possible. But I agree, the album is fine as it is."

this is STRAIGHT from an interview with silenoz, just after the announcement that they were going to do it. i guess they realized later that telling fans "we're doing it to get your money" wasn't so smart so they cooked up that bullshit about the sound quality.

I said primarily, buddy. I know they said it, because I read the interview too. However, let's face it, they were really emphasizing their "distaste" for the production in later interviews over the fact that they want to line their pockets on past material without writing a whole new album.

Erik said:
no, it was silenoz.

this is STRAIGHT from an interview with silenoz, just after the announcement that they were going to do it. i guess they realized later that telling fans "we're doing it to get your money" wasn't so smart so they cooked up that bullshit about the sound quality.

Compared to every other Dimmu album, the sound quality is indeed the worst. I don't mind however, because I listen to alot of black metal so its nothing new to me. I could just as easily take shots at Emperor for having re-mastered versions of their first couple albums with bonus tracks/live footage by saying "all they care about is money" - but I won't because that is not true. As I said before, your opinion is worthless because it has no merit or anything to support what you have said.