Darkthrone???

Yep,it's indeed called "A blaze in the nothern sky"......
Hmmmm if you like Black Metal (i don't mean Cradle of filth :D...i mean more raw stuff ),you should get it at once..... It's sth like a must.....
If you have other Darkthrone albums,i think you should get this,too....To my mind "A blaze " (together with Panzerfaust) is the best darkthrone album,raw and complicated with many great riffs and a unique atmosphere... and hmmm a sufficient amount of rotten sound...... Hmm definitely not the album that will awake feelings of tenderness or the finest piece of music,but for me it's still a masterpiece......

Other people will have a different opinion.... I don't think that a blaze is an album every metalhead must have....For example if you are into more sophisticated stuff,you'll conisder darkthrone as the ultimate crap......it's a matter of taste

So,first i suggest you should listen some samples or sth before you buy it......

Agathos daimon......
:cool:

darkthrone might be a good band and all but sometimes im just so sick of their production bullshit. I mean it makes me not want to put it on. I dont know why they want their stuff to sound like it was recorded in a kitchen. everyone says it adds to the environment and atmosphere. WHAT ATMOSPHERE! the atmosphere that they are recording in an ass crack. I mean good band and all but it sounds like they record with a talkboy.

The production was the only thing that put me off getting into that band... I heard the album you're discussing here when a friend who was desperately trying to bring up his black-metal props brought it round and stuck it on the CD player, and sat there with a nervous grin and a slight tremble while me and my mates sat there, stoney-faced, up until bursting out laughing two songs in. They wouldn't be so bad if they didn't sound like they were practising inside a submarine and someone was recording them with a portable cassette recorder from outside...

I've only got goatlord, but it's a pretty good death metal album. Though of course, the production is, well, $75 4-track quality. But Fenriz's drum playing kicks ass! And there's some creepy, weird falsetto stuff going on in some tunes. It's pretty technical actually compared to what I've heard of other darkthrone releases, so that's all I can tell you of the band.

Try and get hold of the tribute cd (released a couple years ago), I think it's called 'Darkthrone, Holy Darkthrone' - it's got bands with good production doing covers (there's an utterly crushing rendition of Cromlech by Emperor). I won't listen to darkthrone, I can't tolerate the sound quality.

I do understand why many people have a problem with darkthrone's production..... As i said before,everything it's a matter of taste ....... I love darthrone's production.... don't laugh,but to my mind it reflects somehow the smell of death and decay..... so distorted,weird,raw and rotten.....
when it comes to production,I don't have any particular preference.....it depends on which band i'm listening.... F.i. For darkthrone i prefer a rotten sound,for Artcurus i prefer a clear sound.....

some people say i have a weird taste in music :D

Godisanatheist,I can't think of any really depressing BM stuff....what i consider as depressive is usually atmospheric stuff,At the gates and some gothic stuff.But to my mind there are some cool bands everyone (or almost everyone) should check out

Arcturus is a wonderful BM band,or at least they used to be one,since "la masquerade infernale" is no BM record.... but anyway if you haven't checked them out,you should...... "La masquerade Infernale" is a super complicated record,well-written but not depressing.It's a total masterpiece....I'm super stuck to it,since the day i bought it.Once I even voted it as the "album of the 90's".... :hotjump:
Garm's voice is as always awesome,the music is really "intelligent" and complicated,a MASTERPIECE
Their first "Aspera hiems symfonia" is also a great album with a wonderful night feeling...

Ved buens ende is a great BM band...So sad they are no longer active : ( Original music .....with some depressing touches as well... I LOVE THIS BAND.....their 2Cds are unfortunately hard to find....
........A wonderer I am indeed......son of the moon.......

Dödheimsgard is also a cool band and a quite progressive one... Starting as a pure-yet cool- BM band they became a super industrial (????this isn't the correct word,for sure),electronic???? BM band.... These guys are all deranged ;) I can understand why some people consider them as the future of BM....

The first album of In the woods "HEart of the ages" is quite depressing.... partly atmosperic,partly raw with amazing pagan shouts,this album is a wonderful trip and a great company when you're daydreaming.......at least this is my opinion :D
The divinity of in the woods......

Limbonic art is another great band from Norawy.... very atmospheric,but still heavy and dark....and hmm somehow symphonic/orchestral... toooo many keys,but still an awesome result....night feeling...and sometimes nightmare feeling :rolleyes:.... Btw, their "ad noctum" album is a bit boooooring.....

Well,those bands i can recommend to you (though i don't know exactly your taste)....download sth and check yourself ...usually tastes differ..... if you want more info,just ask :)
There are also other great bands like enslaved,emperor etc,but i'm sure you've heard sth from them.....

hmmmm my longest post ever?
Cheers!! :D

Originally posted by godisanathiest
Yup,that would probably piss me off majorly. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. The production on TSE by Anathema isn't that good, which annoys me, but by the sounds of it its a lot better than Darkthrones!

Sound of TSE is great! What about Darkthrone, check "Soulside Journey", 1991, gloomy deathmetal with great sound! As I remember, Tomas Skogsberg was producer.

Buy!!!
I personally think that Darkthrone is one of the best black metal bands on earth, their album " Under A Funeral Moon" is a must!
Their production is very raw like it should be!!

Buy! The production is great: Ugly, just how Fenriz wanted it.
For complex stuff, you must try the 2 Arcturus albums, as already stated. The most complex black metal album i've heard is Abigor's Supreme Immortal Art. Very dark, and took me about 10 listens before i really got into it.