Soulside Journey appreciation thread

Jan 14, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
It has recently come to my attention that not enough of the metal population truly appreciates Darkthrone's death metal works. Soulside Journey just happens to be my personal #1 in terms of death metal. That album, while to an extent entrenched in the then-emerging Scandinavian/Sunlight DM sound, is in fact anything but typical of that scene. While the embryonic Darkthrone certainly shared a pronounced Autopsy influence with those bands (Entombed, Dismember, Carnage), Soulside Journey took the chromatic, atonal riffing and dirge of albums like Severed Survival to new nadirs, meanwhile adding thereto a sense of technicality that would never again appear on a Darkthrone record. More than anything, Soulside Journey showcases Fenriz's excellent drumming abilities, which he would of course downplay on all albums hereafter, though traces of his fancy footwork showed up on A Blaze in the Northern Sky. What really makes this album work, though, is that it managed to capture the atmosphere of future Darkthrone classics and put it into a death metal framework. Like it or not, and I know that there are those who don't, Soulside Journey, despite being undeniably death metal, bears striking similarities to Under a Funeral Moon but especially to A Blaze in the Northern Sky, if not in delivery than ocassionally in composition and above all in structure. Essentially, Darkthrone composed a death metal album of a style that we have not seen since, nor that we shall ever see again.

Goatlord is almost as impressive, but I'll let somebody else comment thereupon.

I appreciate soulside journey and it is one of my favorite death metal albums.

Soulside Journey, due to a strong contingent of Old School Death Metal appreciators on this particular forum, gets its fair share of recognition, though of course largely Darkthrone is most well known for A Blaze In The Northern Sky through Transilvanian Hunger in the greater Metal public.

I have yet to listen to Soulside Journey but I am sure it is good also. I've listened to 5 of their albums so far (Plaguewielder my first, followed by Goatlord, A Blaze In The Northern Sky, The Cult Is Alive, and Under The Funeral Moon) and all of them are great great albums. Darkthrone has never disapointed me once and I doubt they will disapoint me with Soulside Journey even if it is different. Heck if I could listen to Goatlord I could listen to Soulside Journey.

only listened to this album once or twice. it didnt strike me as anything spectacular. not that im saying it was bad, it just seemed a bit "yeah, ok"-ish.

That's because it actually has depth and takes at least a few listens to appreciate.

Soulside fucking Journey is probably the best Darkthrone album and one of the most grim albums ever.

Yes, it does sound kinda plain (for lack of a better word) upon first listen, but then with successive listens, that uniqueness and dark nature of the riffs grows on you. Other great albums that didn't blow me away on first listen are: Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes, Fleshcrawl - Descend into the Absurd, Infester - To the Dephts in Degradation, The Chasm - Deatcult for Eternity, Gpd Macabre - The Winterlong, Incantation - Onward to Golgotha, etc. Many of my favorite albums actually took several listens to grow on me, while fewer of them blew me away upon first listen.

Life Sucks:

I second the nomination of Incantation's "Onward..." as a "deep" album so to speak.

What about some opinions on Goatlord? I tend to look at it is nothing more than the logical progression from Soulside Journey, often featuring bizarre time-signatures and even verging on narrative (read: riff-salad) structure, yet with just a hint of the compositional minimalism of the later albums. That is, of course, not to say that it foreshadowed the black metal records by any means, but rather that there are riffs that pop up here and there that were far simpler than anything on Soulside. Regardless, as horrendous as is the production (TH doesn't even compete: it was purposely terrible, this is entirely accidental), this is the only other DM album ever recorded in this style, and as such is completely worthy of my, your, and everybody else's worship. The false female vocals, as comical as they may be on first listen, have actually become enjoyable. My only qualm are Nocturno Culto's vocals, and not even his delivery or style, but simply that it's more than evident that they were added as an afterthought and nothing more, not meshing at all with the rest of the album in terms of sound quality.

There is a lot of things I did not notice about soulside journey upon first listens and for the time it is a complex and outlandish death metal album and pure fucking evil. I would say darkthrone is their most tight and well rehearsed on this album.

I think it would be great if darkthrone demos prior to soulside journey were remixed and remastered on cd. The bands demo's/rehearsals are more doomy and you can tell why peaceville picked them up.

I think it would be great if darkthrone demos prior to soulside journey were remixed and remastered on cd. The bands demo's/rehearsals are more doomy and you can tell why peaceville picked them up.

Goddammit, that's something I forgot to mention in my last post. I'd be happier than a pig in shit if somebody came along and did that, although I definitely like Land of Frost least. But shit, Thulcandra and Cromlech are right up my alley.

SoJ is fantastic and the reason why I decided to check out Cadaver's ...In Pains a long time ago(some people described both as being somewhat similar in sound, though I don't really hear it) and I'm so glad I did, because IP is definitely my favorite DM album of all time.

SoJ is fantastic and the reason why I decided to check out Cadaver's ...In Pains a long time ago(some people described both as being somewhat similar in sound, though I don't really hear it) and I'm so glad I did, because IP is definitely my favorite DM album of all time.

The only similarity is that Fenriz and Carl-Michael are both the greatest Norwegian musicians in heavy music.

Yes, it does sound kinda plain (for lack of a better word) upon first listen, but then with successive listens, that uniqueness and dark nature of the riffs grows on you. Other great albums that didn't blow me away on first listen are: Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes, Fleshcrawl - Descend into the Absurd, Infester - To the Dephts in Degradation, The Chasm - Deatcult for Eternity, Gpd Macabre - The Winterlong, Incantation - Onward to Golgotha, etc. Many of my favorite albums actually took several listens to grow on me, while fewer of them blew me away upon first listen.

all those albums i found either instantly appealing or instantly intriuging (the chasm perhaps being the only exception, but was definitely the most "different" and warranted further listens). nothing about soulside journey appeared to be really worth investigating. perhaps one day, ill give it another chance.