metal paddys band of the week is darkthrone

Impudent said:
Damn, I love "Total Death", "Panzerfaust", and "Ravishing Grimness". In fact, everything I've heard by Darkthrone I love. The only ones I do not have yet are "Goatlord", "Plaguewielder", "Sardonic Wrath", and "The Cult Is Alive".
The Cult is Alive is fun but not groundbreaking or anything of course. I would get the vinyl before it is sold out; it looks pretty nice too. I have mixed feelings about Hate Them and Sardonic Wrath. People seem to liking them more than Plaguewielder, which I can understand to some extent. There are a couple good songs on both albums ('In Honor of Thy Name', 'Rawness Obsolete', etc). But I guess I give Plaguewielder more spins because of the song 'Wreak'. I also think I liked the fact that the songs on Plaguewielder had more structure and were longer as a result. I believe the LP will be reissued soon. I am waiting to get my hands on that one.
But, of course, no album that they did after Translyvanian Hunger gets close that album.

MasterOLightning said:
There's no emoticon to show that I'm frowning and shaking my head in disappointment, is there?

Nope, but you may as well add them to my list of UM holy cows I don't "get"

such as:

Bathory
Katatonia
Tiamat
Arghoslent
Sentenced
Opeth

etc etc etc, maybe I should just have a list of shame, eh? :puke:

Carcassian said:

such as:

Bathory
Katatonia
Tiamat
Arghoslent
Sentenced
Opeth

Are you sure you actually like metal?

You don't atleast like older tiamat ?

what the hell

Go buy the astral sleep.

Don't get be started on sentenced and opeth.

I have Tiamat's Wild Honey and Gaia.. Never could really get into it. There are two or three songs that are okay on it. They bore me.

I do like some of the new stuff though I've not heard whole albums.

Susperia said:
I have Tiamat's Wild Honey and Gaia.. Never could really get into it. There are two or three songs that are okay on it. They bore me.

I do like some of the new stuff though I've not heard whole albums.

I'm going to send you 'the astral sleep' one night. The Astral Sleep is from 91. A lot of people label older Tiamat dark metal, this is before tiamat sold out. The Astral Sleep is what Johan Edlund saw as being black metal "don't break the oath" by mercyful fate,venom,celtic frost,etc...

The astral sleep is one of my favorite albums and it will be yours in a few days!

byrne said:
i dont understand people not liking argholsent, unless they are particularly displeased with the prejudices, in which case they should simply reconsider their opinions.

i think they get extra credit for "the prejudices", if they were just some band i dont think there'd be the interest.

they're kül and all, but not the bestest evarr.

The Greys said:
I'm going to send you 'the astral sleep' one night. The Astral Sleep is from 91. A lot of people label older Tiamat dark metal, this is before tiamat sold out. The Astral Sleep is what Johan Edlund saw as being black metal "don't break the oath" by mercyful fate,venom,celtic frost,etc...

The astral sleep is one of my favorite albums and it will be yours in a few days!

Oh I can't wait!

Teh Grimarse said:
i think they get extra credit for "the prejudices", if they were just some band i dont think there'd be the interest.

they're kül and all, but not the bestest evarr.

Ex-fucking-actly.

Average isn't the word. Incorrigible bigotry? Incorrigible gimmickry, more like.

Carcassian said:

such as:

Bathory
Katatonia
Tiamat
Arghoslent
Sentenced
Opeth

No love for the Bathory? Ah man... Hammerheart rules all.

Thoth-Amon said:
No love for the Bathory? Ah man... Hammerheart rules all.

Yeah, I know, I know, I break the rules of Teh MetalHeAdZ

In fairness, I only ever had their first few albums, and a few subsequent ones on dubbed tape - they didnt really appeal, but I could give them another chance, but I'd have to find them significantly cheap on CD in order for me to do so (for which read very, very cheap).

Carcassian said:
Yeah, I know, I know, I break the rules of Teh MetalHeAdZ

In fairness, I only ever had their first few albums, and a few subsequent ones on dubbed tape - they didnt really appeal, but I could give them another chance, but I'd have to find them significantly cheap on CD in order for me to do so (for which read very, very cheap).

Honestly I'm not that big on the early Black Metal stuff Bathory did. I mostly like the Viking Metal like Hammerheart and Blood Fire Death.

I like the first four the best. "Blood Fire Death" is basically the early black metal stuff with the viking element mixed in.