David Bendeth

I don't suppose you have anything interesting to share re: the recalls and presets you had to do? Some working tendencies?

well who knows how similiar it is now but here's a few things:

1. Uses a fatso for his parallel comp on drums
2. uses 2 57's and a coles 4038 on heavy guitars.
3. has a diezel VH4 and matching cab which he absolutely adored and was super protective of.
4. records acoustic guitars with a u47 (his own) and a km 84.
5. if you check out his studio ( www.themixroom.com ) you'll see the amazing gear collection he uses.

Did you hear it yet? Or are you just guessing?
I mean Between Breaking Benjamin and Cavo there are only so many bands you can have in the top 10 at once at rock radio no?
How many have you had this week?

I was commenting more on the fact that he's not working with a larger/better artist. Hedley is pretty terrible all around.

Ben Gross is great, he has always been great. From Manson to Sevendust.
Everyone has fallen on hard times and people are doing many things they would not normally do to survive. Certain bands come along once every ten years. Look at CLA and TLA, People will mix anything to survive. Its tough out there and everyone knows it. The record business is in real trouble and It is terrible to see such talent sometimes wasted on some awful music.
That is why most of you are here, because Metal has survived and always will. Metal fans support their artists. How many new Metal bands are platinum right now?
Not many.

Did you hear it yet? Or are you just guessing?
I mean Between Breaking Benjamin and Cavo there are only so many bands you can have in the top 10 at once at rock radio no?
How many have you had this week?

Dude relax, I don't like Hedley get over it. I'm going to assume you are somehow involved with them or Bendeth, because no one would be so defensive about such a small statement.

Just to be clear though, the "single" is out and it's atrocious. I've known Dave Rosin for years and I still don't like Hedley.

Second of all, I'm not saying that bendeth should be working with only bands that make the top ten, I'm simply saying that someone with that talent should not be working with a canadian band who doesn't even have a US deal anymore.

And while I don't have any bands in the top ten right now, I do have a band I worked with that is at #14-16 on active rock depending what chart you're looking at, as well as 2 platinum and 2 gold plaques on my wall, so save the "you aren't as sucessful so you're opinion doesn't matter" bullshit.

well who knows how similiar it is now but here's a few things:

1. Uses a fatso for his parallel comp on drums
2. uses 2 57's and a coles 4038 on heavy guitars.
3. has a diezel VH4 and matching cab which he absolutely adored and was super protective of.
4. records acoustic guitars with a u47 (his own) and a km 84.
5. if you check out his studio ( www.themixroom.com ) you'll see the amazing gear collection he uses.

Thanks a heap for that. Always great to get some more working methods.

I assume he doesn't do the ITB thing much, like most of the top guys?

Is it only me or is the snare on "Lost In The Sound Of Separation" panned hard left sometimes?? It seems like they split the snaredrum left/right sometimes to make it sound wider or sth.

This is only my first listen and I'm only on song 5, so I can't really comment, but it sounds really cool. I wish it'd be less pumping, but other than that I dig it.

sorry for the large image - im not hosting it, but check out this tunnel for the bass drum that was done at Bendeth's studio (I have also read that he did this on paramore's album, so wouldnt be surprised if it was his doing).

HouseofLoudfixed1.jpg

house%20of%20loud%20drum%20tunnel.JPG

also check out how close the cymbals are mic'ed in this, and how massive the live room is.

Is it only me or is the snare on "Lost In The Sound Of Separation" panned hard left sometimes?? It seems like they split the snaredrum left/right sometimes to make it sound wider or sth.

This is only my first listen and I'm only on song 5, so I can't really comment, but it sounds really cool. I wish it'd be less pumping, but other than that I dig it.

Yeah there's a bunch of sections where the drums are like hard panned both sides and are playing totally different parts.
Seriously one of the best drum mixes known to man.

And cheers for the pics ed, you should make a little bass drum tunnel one day and try it out and post your results :)

sorry for the large image - im not hosting it, but check out this tunnel for the bass drum that was done at Bendeth's studio (I have also read that he did this on paramore's album, so wouldnt be surprised if it was his doing).

HouseofLoudfixed1.jpg

house%20of%20loud%20drum%20tunnel.JPG

also check out how close the cymbals are mic'ed in this, and how massive the live room is.
I've seen some tunnels of that size and if I had the space/material I'd build something like that as well.
There is a stereo-pair in standard overhead-height so I'd say the close-mics are just there to support the individual cymbals in the mix.

FWIW, The Sound of Separation had two drummers at points, playing in the same room but mic'd up separately.

really?
thats pretty fucking cool
the panned drum sections are some of the best parts of that record

I just heard today that one of the bands around my area contacted him inquiring about prices and he told them $30,000 per song, hahaha.

must be his polite way of saying fuck off?

..are those 3 overhead mics on the last set of pics?

Thought the same thing at first, but then realized that he might be spot micing each cymbal, instead? There's only 3 + hats/ride, which are also mic'd.... I'm willing to bet there's a pair of Coles in the background we're not seeing, as well.

..are those 3 overhead mics on the last set of pics?

Looks like it to me. 3 OHs isnt particularly uncommon I don't think, among the high-end guys. I know Tool's 10k days has 3 OHs.

And FYI, those pics I posted are meant to be the same/very similar setup to Riot's drums, but of course his productions are all so sample replaced that its kinda hard to glean anything much from the pics.

looks like 3 to me, but it looks like it also depends on the drummers cymbals set up as each picture is slightly different.

bendeth said that the drums were pretty sample light on riot - on the u-myx files you can still hear quite a bit of bleed and also the OH tracks suggest the natural drum sound is fairly similar (albeit less processed) than the final sound. probably doesnt help his drums sounding the same when he's using that same DW kit, and those same snares in every photo.