Davinci's Pizza Appreciation Thread

I've been getting DaVinci's once each year for the past several years. This year, a friend and I left the venue to split a 12" chicken pesto which was excellent, and we didn't miss any of the next band's set (thought we did cut it close!).

I also happened to get a slice of pepperoni at the venue on Saturday, and it was, indeed, stale cardboard. I proceeded to have explosive gastrointestinal problems on Sunday morning. :(

Moral of the story: skip the overpriced pizza they sell at the venue, and go right to the source for the good stuff.

Bother the workers by adding another customer? These aren't just line cooks slinging Grand Slams, these are artisans that have spent years honing their trade - every person that walks through the front door is a canvas on which to paint their pizza masterpiece, a new soul to share their creation with. Much like a bodhisattva, their only real desire is that every soul may sample the pizza nirvana they've attained.

I'm relieved someone else understands. They call this place DaVinci's for a reason. It's pizza, yes, but it's also much more than that; just as ProgPower is much more than just music. There's skill, passion, dedication, community involved in every step of the process. For those complaining that the pizza sat too long, I assume you're also the people that complained about Pain of Salvation taking too long to take stage.

Listen people, sometimes art can't be rushed - they're not churning out mass market product here. It's a long standing myth that pizza is best fresh. If you go to Italy, where it all began, you might realize that it's standard practise to keep a fully cooked pizza in a small vented container for several hours prior to serving in order to attain proper texture and flavor. Chewiness, sometimes mistaken as an undesirable texture, actually allows you to better taste the many nuances of the slice. The cooler temperature brings out complexities that may be masked by a fresh out of the oven pizza.

Frankly it's shocking that ProgPower attendees, a group I previously thought to be sophisticated and intelligent, have not been able to appreciate this. It makes me seriously consider whether I want to associate with this crowd again.

I really loved it in the venue. I was having a conversation with my dad the week earlier about how Louisiana basically sucked for New York style pizza, and then I show up and find it was being sold in the venue. I wish I would have gone after the fest closed, but I wasn't sure on the closing times and didn't want to bother the workers by adding another customer to the pile after midnight.

Davinci's is considered NY pizza in Atlanta???? There's a lot of things in the south that I wish we had up here but I'd never leave just because of the lack of good pizza.

Davinci's is considered NY pizza in Atlanta???? There's a lot of things in the south that I wish we had up here but I'd never leave just because of the lack of good pizza.

Oof, missing out....Antico, Varuni Napoli, Rosa's, Varasanos, etc...

Also all these complaints are doing a real good job of keeping the nerd in prog nerd.

Agreed! They make great pizza and they are very welcome to us "black shirts". The owner and his son remembered SkiBumMSP and I from previous years and asked if we liked their pizza (we always do!).

Yup, they remembered Modern Wizardry and me. Honestly, I would never do Davincis due to how good Vespuccis is not just in food but in service. Hell, they wanted to surprise us with specialty drinks. Very good guys.

Well, I mean its closer to New York/Northern in general style pizza than anything I have in LA.

No one is going to mention how a slice of pizza at the venue cost $3 last year and $5 this year? I was righteously pissed.

Expensive but worth every cent. You have to consider the quality of ingredients they're using and the care that goes into each pie. It's an artisanal product. If you want cheap pizza get Domino's.