DAW's

jhrv

Mar 27, 2007
I'm looking for a good DAW to buy (Windows user). Help me here, which one?

Samplitude
Sonar
Reaper
Cubase
Nuendo

Forget about Nuendo right away, unless you are really into tv post or surround. Cubase does the same for much less money (the fact that many people have Nuendo here is most likely because they have a hacked version ...).

I had a trial version of Reaper and it wasn't too intuitive for me - and I never tried Sonar and Samplitude. If you are working with Midi a lot, I'd advocate Cubase (which is my DAW of choice). Oz and others have been really pushing Sonar, but it seems they are recording more than me ...

Reaper 2 or Sonar.

Sonar has an amazing colletion of world class plugins (sonitus suite, v-vocal etc) and fantastic audio quantization plus a top class convolution reverb.

Reaper is 1/5th the price and if you already have brilliant plugins, reaper's routing and customizability cannot be matched.

what about samplitude?. I heard good things about this software.

Anyone switched from Cubase/Nuendo to Sonar? I've been using Cubase since forever (meaning -94 approximately) and I am very familiar with it of course. On the other hand, I'm pretty adaptable. Would be interested in hearing people's experiences.

One (new) thing in Cubase that I plan to soon start taking advantage of though is using external effect ports, and the control room function to create cue mixes. Is there anything similar in Sonar?

There are just some things in Cubase that I miss, and I have been glancing at other software now and then but I never had the time to really try anything out.

I used to use nuendo before i started taking this seriously, went legit and bought everything i used.

As such, the switch is easy cause sonar is way WAY better than cubum.

Disclaimer: personal opinion, don't get your bawsack in a twist.

cubase sx3 for me... thinkin about investing in cubase 4 but not too sure if it will be a waste of money....

people say its not much differant

other than cubase my second choice would be logic pro 7... but that probs because i use that sometimes at college...

what do you guys think of logic? i'v never seen people talk about it on here:S

If i didn't run protools i would actually probably buy Saw Studio. Give it a look and Oz will tell you its pretty freaking sweet.

SAMPLITUDE! Hell yeah!

Great audio quality, ultra fast and cool editing, cool workflow, AMAZING multiband, pioneer of impulse-reverbs, fantastic new analogue-suite fx, the now included spectral-cleaner is THE kick-ass denoising tool, freeze anything (tracks, subs, auxes, even objects...), fx just on objects, Elastic Audio (small "Melodyne" )... These are just some reasons... I JUST LOVE THIS PROGRAM!
I admit... MIDI is getting better... but still... oh, if you use alot of sidechaining you'll need some extreme routings. But everything else just rocks.

Uhm, no... I'm not working for MAGIX ;)