Dead End Kings

really I just want the album with the bonus tracks....why is this not an option? I'm not a vinyl collector....I wish I had a badass stereo set-up for 5.1 but I don't so I don't need that either....ehh' why so complicated Katatonia?

I completely agree with you. If anything I could always sell the vinyl copy and 5.1 mix dvd or maybe even consider trading them with someone for the Swedish Edition packaging and just keep the 2 bonus track disc to put inside that packaging so I can still fit it on my cd shelf. I don't know...I will just have to wait and see how the packaging is set up on this version. It'd be awesome if the cd came inside it's own little seperate digi-pack case with album booklet, art, lyrics, etc. but I doubt that would be the case. Nonetheless, I know I have pushed my luck far enough, so I will just have to deal with the large vinyl packaging (and price) in the meantime.

Besides having that really similar riff to Jambi, I think its REALLY solid. Great riffs and amazing melodies, escpecially the vocal melodies, very catchy. *sigh* Two months.

Awesome!! \m/ ( >_< ) \m/ Now I can't say 'Dead Letters' is one of my top favorites since Katatonia already has so damn many other flawless songs under their belt and I am beyond certain that there will be even better songs on DEAD END KINGS. I am also glad I will be getting the version of DEK with the 2 bonus tracks, since this song doesn't feel like a proper "album closer" to me. But it is still extremely solid and only adds to the fact that Katatonia seems utterly incapable of creating a "bad" song. There were definitely parts that remind me of Tool's 10,000 DAYS album (particularly the guitar from the bridge of 'The Pot'). It still blows my mind that there are not more bands like Tool and Katatonia out there who have both the perfect vocalist and the perfect musicians in the same band (it is always one or the other but never both together). Tool/Katatonia are in a league of their own that no other bands I am aware of can match. And to this day, Katatonia is the one and only band I have ever blindly paid even close to $70 for (especially before hearing the whole thing), but with their virtually spotless track record I can't think of any possible way that it won't be worth it.

Listened to it 5-6 times now; gotta say....I DUNNO, obvious TOOL like riff (like everyone's mentioned) isn't necessarily good or bad...I think the whole riffing style is very reminiscent of the Great Cold Distance...I like the slow parts, some cool haunting stuff in that... main thing I'm indecisive about is Jonas's vocals and lyrics actually...the lyrics are very broken, its hard to attach any kind of imagery...I think after the album comes out this song will grow on me more. The song is definitely tight

Awesome!! m/ ( >_< ) m/ Now I can't say 'Dead Letters' is one of my top favorites since Katatonia already has so damn many other flawless songs under their belt and I am beyond certain that there will be even better songs on DEAD END KINGS. I am also glad I will be getting the version of DEK with the 2 bonus tracks, since this song doesn't feel like a proper "album closer" to me. But it is still extremely solid and only adds to the fact that Katatonia seems utterly incapable of creating a "bad" song. There were definitely parts that remind me of Tool's 10,000 DAYS album (particularly the guitar from the bridge of 'The Pot'). It still blows my mind that there are not more bands like Tool and Katatonia out there who have both the perfect vocalist and the perfect musicians in the same band (it is always one or the other but never both together). Tool/Katatonia are in a league of their own that no other bands I am aware of can match. And to this day, Katatonia is the one and only band I have ever blindly paid even close to $70 for (especially before hearing the whole thing), but with their virtually spotless track record I can't think of any possible way that it won't be worth it.

I can't enjoy this new song unless I hear all 13 songs (the COMPLETE album!) AT THE EXACT SAME TIME! I begged Peaceville to release a COMPLETE CD of all 13 songs playing at the same time in 1 single track, but they refused! They are evil and greedy and don't deserve to live! Don't they know I would blindly pay any price to hear all 13 songs played at the same time on a single track? It is a proven fact that only Katatonia and Tool are capable of releasing only good songs and would never dishonor me by releasing a bad song (except those EARLY Katatonia albums with those TERRIBLE vocals - but those do not exist anymore because I TOLD Peaceville to delete them forever). I get so angry that there are not more PERFECT bands in the world like Tool and Katatonia. I will NEVER understand this and it makes me punch myself! I mean all a band has to do is have PERFECT vocals and PERFECT guitars and PERFECT bass and PERFECT keyboards and PERFECT drums and PERFECT songwriting and most importantly PERFECT CDs with the COMPLETE album sessions on it in the PERFECT order with PERFECT artwork!

I'm not completely blown away by the new song. I like it, but the Tool similarities bug me a little bit even though I love Tool. Plus the middle keyboard part reminds me of something off of Steven Wilson's Grace For Drowning album. This is the first Katatonia song I've heard where I'm being reminded of other bands. Usually it sounds entirely unique to Katatonia. Still a really good song.

Listened to it probably over 10 times now. It is surely a good song, but it has this "I DUNNO" effect on me as well. It grows on me more everytime I listen to it though. Usually Katatonia songs strike me right from the beginning, especially with the vocal melodies and catchy choruses, this one does not have that effect for sure but it has a more progressive and dynamic sound to it. In any case, sounds like a step forward from where they left it at. I wouldn't like a complete album like this, but Anders said many times this is gonna be a diverse album, so I keep up my hopes...

Edit: The beginning reminds me Jambi a lot.

Does it not bother you that it may be the last track on the album, considering it's marked 11 in tags. I mean, finale tracks have always been something really special in Katatonia univers, and Dead Letters is kinda not. And Jonas is really regressing lyrically and vocally on last three albums, he has somewhat found his comfort zone, which is a regression on my opinion. By the way, haven't been here for ages, how are you, guys?

Edit: The beginning reminds me Jambi a lot.

Yeah I instantly thought of that too.

I like the new song, it's getting better after each listen. Although after realizing it is the last on the album, the ending seems a little anti-climatic, but maybe that's how it should be when you listen to the whole album through? Can't wait for August.

Does it not bother you that it may be the last track on the album, considering it's marked 11 in tags. I mean, finale tracks have always been something really special in Katatonia univers, and Dead Letters is kinda not. And Jonas is really regressing lyrically and vocally on last three albums, he has somewhat found his comfort zone, which is a regression on my opinion. By the way, haven't been here for ages, how are you, guys?

That's pretty much what I said. People must not read my posts much :cool: (except for lil' KittyKat...BTW how do I block that chick? She is a cancer to my soul.) EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out.

But yea, 'Dead Letters' doesn't seem to have that "climax" feeling to it and the closing of the song is not how I would have preferred it to end. I am hoping that 'The Act Of Darkening' will prove to be a more fitting closure to the CD. Although I do disagree about Jonas's vocals. I absolutely love the way he sings on TGCD and NITND. The issue with his vocals on 'Dead Letters' for me is that it doesn't really allow him to use a lot of melody, especially with the lack of a really memorable chorus. I am hopeful he will break out the subtle melisma on some other songs.

Regarding the pre order various packages...for the copies that are signed...are they signed personally? For a few more bucks it seems worth it if thats the case.