Dean Markley strings?

Trevoire520

Mar 24, 2007
Fife, Scotland
Anyone here using DM strings for recording?

Done a search and it seems most on here are using Daddario's, which I am a fan of. But DM's are quite a bit cheaper, so I'm thinking about buying a load of them to use when recording.

Anyone wanna share their experiences with them? Good or bad.

I have been using the Blue Steel strings on and off for several years. While I have tried quite a few brands of strings and have not really settled on one particular brand, I do find myself using the Blue Steels quite frequently. I find them to be a lively string, excellent for both acoustic and electric guitars. I've not run into the breaking issue like Jarkko, but I tend not to play overly aggressive and perhaps that plays a role in it. Perhaps someday I'll settle on a string brand, but for now I like trying out new strings quite frequently, but the Blue Steels are one that i often come back to.

I have been using the Blue Steel strings on and off for several years. While I have tried quite a few brands of strings and have not really settled on one particular brand, I do find myself using the Blue Steels quite frequently. I find them to be a lively string, excellent for both acoustic and electric guitars. I've not run into the breaking issue like Jarkko, but I tend not to play overly aggressive and perhaps that plays a role in it. Perhaps someday I'll settle on a string brand, but for now I like trying out new strings quite frequently, but the Blue Steels are one that i often come back to.

I'm sure it was just a bad pack, as I didn't play a single note before they snapped. Not a good first impression, though :D

I use nothing but the blue steels for years now ... they last FOREVER and trust me, I have a really aggressive and heavy pick hand. I change them out about once every 2 months, thats with constant rehearsing, practice & gigging. They hold their sound for pretty much the entire time, only becoming slightly more dull by the end of a 2 month intensively used cycle

Recording I find them to be bright without being harsh and very punchy with a nice depth. They never get too muddy sounding at lower tunings ... everything for my own band is tuned to C# standard and I never lose any articulation in more complex arrangements

For what its worth

I have used DM nickelsteel signature series alot on my baritone. They have good lifetime, better than EBs in my experience. But i am using EBs on my trem gtrs because the set gauges suit my set up needs better but they dont hold their brightness as long as DMs

I tried every type of string that my store carries and the DM Nickel Steels came out on top. They seemed to have a more present but smooth top end for some reason. Could just be a placebo thing but every time I have to use something else I don't like the tone.

I bought 2 packs of DM strings for my C7 last month. 1 Blue Steel and 1 Nickselsteel. Nickelsteel ones were already rusted in a brand new package! Blue Steel one had G string with no anchor. I got them replaced but I couldn't use neither of them for more than 1 week with 2 hours of daily use. Also I didn't like the sound they produced. I used to use Blue Steel several years ago and I was happy with them, but I think they reduced the product quality or it's just me.

For the once in my life, I'm happy with D'addarios. I was an Elixir guy before.

Never tried. Used to use D'Addario only, then swapped back and forth between those and Ernie Ball Slinkies. Been sticking with the EBs for years now.

I've been using Blue Steel for years but lately their quality has dropped, the lighter strings snap effortlessly. I like D'Addario but they go dull too fast.
I tried Elixir and I'm sticking to them, they sound great for months and I haven't had a single string snap on me yet.