Your favorite string brand and why.

Pxz

Nov 13, 2006
Chile - La Serena
Always liked Daddario's then i changed my guitar and hated them and started to really like DR tight fits.EB's are kinda usefull when they are fresh out of the package. Blue Steels where similar to EB's for me. Coated strings im still waiting to try them out so i can't comment. It seems to me that different strings brands react better or worse depending on the guitar/pickups, so im not trying to find the best strings ever.

For bass , stainless steel seems the only way for me to achieve a great tone but they so expensive here .$85 or so for a pack.
What are your favorite strings and why?

I've tried Ernie Ball's Cobalt and Titanium coatings, neither really did it for me. They still wear rather fast, and I didn't like the sound anyway. Tried Blue Steels twice (long ago), really disliked them.

I go for Elixir stuff (and have been for years now) simply because they last longer (in a somewhat acceptable condition) even though the tone is kind of duller, when compared to new uncoated strings.
I too have mostly Floyd guitars, so if I can avoid frequent string changes, it's much more comfortable for me.

Also, they are easy to come by, and have a decent selection of string gauges.

* Haven't tried their Optiweb strings yet, though. Those are supposed to be brighter than their previous two coatings.

Last edited:
Ernie ball "paradigm"...they're bright sounding, don't corrode, won't break -and I'm rough on strings. I've used everything...DR high beams and tight fits break easy (IME), D'addario and dean markely rust/corrode quickly (IME)...the EB cobalts are nice, but I tried the paradigms and am still beating on 'em 3 months later on one guitar...I've swapped all my guitars now. 7, and 8 strings I custom order, cuz it's hard to buy a perfect "set" to balance string tension

Last edited:
Even non-coated or treated slinky's always seemed stable to me, especially on big bends and trems...I never payed attention to "slinky" being a tension claim, it's just a marketing name for different gauges, super, extra etc...Brand preference aside, the paradigm's are not regular old strings though, they're a little spendy, but honestly worth it. First "breakthrough" i'd actually stand behind.

Reactions: Delitzsch
Even non-coated or treated slinky's always seemed stable to me, especially on big bends and trems...I never payed attention to "slinky" being a tension claim, it's just a marketing name for different gauges, super, extra etc...Brand preference aside, the paradigm's are not regular old strings though, they're a little spendy, but honestly worth it. First "breakthrough" i'd actually stand behind.
Gonna have to look into them. I'd never heard of them, so thanks for the info.

Reactions: Nate Skalman
As I said in a previous thread, I am still on the quest for the perfect strings. I enjoy GHS Boomer strings, but they lose their tonal qualities too quickly.

They feel great, brand new they sound really great too. But after just a week, if you play a lot, you'll hear a difference.

So it's interesting to see posts here.

For 7-strings users, do you all order custom packs?

As I said in a previous thread, I am still on the quest for the perfect strings. I enjoy GHS Boomer strings, but they lose their tonal qualities too quickly.

They feel great, brand new they sound really great too. But after just a week, if you play a lot, you'll hear a difference.

So it's interesting to see posts here.

For 7-strings users, do you all order custom packs?
You almost have to -unless you get lucky with a stock set. I'm on the fence between Kalium (mentioned before) and Stringjoy...it took me awhile to figure out what soundest the "tightest" gauge wise. Now that I got my gauges figured out I'm running Stringjoys on 2 of my Ibanez prestiges and they're AWESOME strings

I've been using Ernie Ball for something like 15 years already. No issues with them and they are quite durable. I can barely remember the last time I broke a string, even though I play in E standard on 7-stringers. Mostly the .058 - .011 set. No other reason really.

Edit:
Actually it was Ernie Ball, not GHS. It's the bass strings that have been GHS. Tells you how often I had to change strings :D

Last edited: